starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NLP 3: The Search for Spock (April 2021-?)

Default NLP 3: The Search for Spock (April 2021-?)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    And so another miserable cut ends with me 40+ pounds lighter. Time to eat again, and time to TRAIN. Jumping back into the swing of things on yet another LP. No idea how long I'll be able to squeeze it out, I was surprised by how well the second LP after a cut went. This time though, I'm gonna try and moderate the bulking diet a bit, so it may not run too long. We'll see what happens.

Monday 3/29/2021

Squat 205x5x3
    Bench 175x5x3
    Deadlift 225x5x1

Fucked up loading the bar for my squats. It was my first time working with a set of bumper plates, and I didn't realize the heaviest were 55s, not 45s. I'm going to do 185 wednesday and go from there. Went with the conservative method for picking start weights detailed in the blue book, but still got a fairly high starting bench before it started to get slow at the end of the set.
    Last edited by CommanderFun; 03-31-2021 at 07:41 PM.

Wednesday 3/31/2021

Squat 185x5x3
    Press 105x5x3
    Deadlift 240x5x1

Friday 4/2/2021

Squat 195x5x3
    Bench 180x5x3
    Deadlift 255x5x1

Starting monday I'll be doing weigh-ins, just to keep track of my weight and try to keep it from getting out of control, as well as to see if it's stagnant and I need to up the eating. Was starting to develop the beginnings of golfer's elbow from my squat, but I squeezed into a very narrow grip today and there was no pain there. Unfortunately, I squatted with one of the "crappy" bars. LA Fitness, for some reason, has actual properly marked bars, and bars that have a smaller central gap in the gnurl as well as ring markings that are pulled in closer together. Bar is the same length and weight, just marked and gnurled all fucked up. The shitty bars and the good bars seem to migrate around the gym as people who prefer the good ones try to use those. After one more 10 jump monday, I will be slowing squat down to 5 pound jumps.

Bench was good, fired them off pretty solid, not too much slowdown and didn't even need much rest between the sets. Was doing something like 90 second rests.

Going to slow deadlift jumps down to 10s until I start having to hook grip most likely.

Monday 4/5/2021

Squat 205x5x3
    Press 110x5x3
    Deadlift 265x5x1

Didn't weight myself this morning, forgot to. I'll slap in a Tuesday entry tomorrow with a weigh-in. Getting kinda wobbly on the press sometimes. I think because I trained the seated version so much I've lost a lot of the balancing skills the standing version develops. Still made all my reps fine though. Getting a lot better at keeping the bar in the right place on the squat, and no signs of the elbow issues that I was starting to encounter. Focusing on keeping the bar held up by the shoulders, keeping the wrists straight, and not just pulling the bar down onto the shoulders with my hands. Deadlifts were uneventful.

Tuesday 4/6/2021

Weigh-in: 273.8 pounds

Wednesday 4/7/2021

Squat 210x5x3
    Bench 185x5x3
    Deadlift 275x5x1

Workout was a little weird today, ended up benching first and then doing squat and deadlift back to back due to rack availability. I am starting to become really resentful of people who occupy racks/platforms to do stupid shit they do not need to occupy racks/platforms for. It's amazing to actually have proper platform setups in a big box gym, you don't need them to do fucking lunges though.

Friday 4/9/2021

Squat 215x5x3
    Press 115x5x3
    Deadlift 285x5x1

Monday 4/12/2021

Weigh-In: 277

Squat 220x5x3
    Bench 190x5x3
    Deadlift 290x5x1

Got the squat a lot more dialed in today. Bar was much more secure than usual. Everything else was unremarkable.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I am starting to become really resentful of people who occupy racks/platforms to do stupid shit they do not need to occupy racks/platforms for. It's amazing to actually have proper platform setups in a big box gym, you don't need them to do fucking lunges though.
    We had planned for 2020 to be the year that we put together our garage gym and rid ourselves of such nonsense. COVID happened, but we still managed to put one together, thanks to Grant and The Strength Co. So, in some respects, we miss the globo gym shenanigans, especially listening to the 112lb trainer telling her clients how they will get strong with the bosu ball.

If you have any really entertaining observations, make sure to post them over in the "Joined a New Gym Last Night" thread. It has been a bit quiet for the past year or so, for some odd reason.

I'd post, but then I'd be telling on myself.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast