starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SS Linear Arctic Circle

Default SS Linear Arctic Circle

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi!

34y/male from northern Norway, wanting to get stronger.

Started out in january by lifting on those damned machines, doing curlz- heavier each time... but luckily I found out about starting strength, just in time
    This is my 7th week, never missed a workout, but started gently, due to som previous back injuries. Nevertheless, I enjoy the SSLP, and my current lifts are:

H: 5'9" BW: 170
    Squat: 100-237
    Press: 55-100 (maaan Im weak!)
    Bench: 85-178
    Deadlift: 130-265

Some of the movements was performed already in january... but not by training- just exercising. Still, I guess I can expect that some of my strength was aquired
    already in january/february- before starting the LP.

I bought both of the books, the blue and the grey. Enjoy reading them both, over and over- and I am a eager watcher of all youtube videos. The information available for free is just
    amazing!!

The biggest issue is to manage the weight on the press. I have provided some microplates in 0,25 and 0,5kg, and that seems to be working for the press.
    On the BP Ive added 1kg (2,2lbs) each time for some weeks now. This monday was a breeze, I think Ive actually could added 3lbs, but I do not want to get greedy at this moment.

The deadlift suffers from some grip strength, but I am working on it. Thanks to good info on this forum, I am continuing the lifts with straps, and working my grip in parallell.

About weight.... Im most probably on the more "skinny side", but I manage to keep the abz so soft, that im not prematurely stalling. I feel strong, and I have a plan to gain weight to around 185 (+15 from this day).

Last workout was Yesterday 19.04.21

Squat: 237x5x3 (adding 2,5kg/ 5,5lbs each time)
    Bench: 178x5x3 (adding 1kg/2,2lbs each time)
    Deadlift: 265x5x1 (adding 2,5kg/ 5,5lbs each time)

I felt really strong today. Had a "mental setback" after some gripping issue last deadlift session... I thougth Ive was closing in on the end of LP,
    but after trying some straps, the lift was a breeze! Digging it!!
    I have some minor pain in my left hip. Since I have som issues with herniated disc... I shall keep an eye on it. But nothing to severe, the deadlift actually soothes
    the pain a bit. Feeling better today!

Looks like you are making good progress so far. Good luck with it.

Thanks a lot!! May need it ;-)

You are still a young man so you have much to look forward to. Great progress on your lifts.

Grip for DL. I've not used straps but its good to hear your testimony of how they help. Have you tried the hook grip or the alternate grip? They help. I assume you have chalk.

OHP is a very beneficial lift but it really is the most difficult for me. I was never very coordinated but after 8 years I'm making some progress. Dr. Sullivan has a very good article on it on our Greysteel face book page. You can join by asking to join, if you wish. Greysteel Newsletter 4.18.2021: Shoulder J-Hook Edition!

Keep at it, Åsali.

Get that chalk! It will solve many of your concerns on the deadlift. Perhaps to the point that you won't bother with the straps (at least until you get into more advanced programming and do things like halting deadlifts and rack pulls).

Also, don't sweat your press numbers right now. It will be your slowest lift in terms of gains. That's just a function of the size and number of muscles used for the movement. Big numbers that you see here are often after years of training it several times a week, not to mention fine-tuning the technique, like carson mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    You are still a young man so you have much to look forward to. Great progress on your lifts.

Grip for DL. I've not used straps but its good to hear your testimony of how they help. Have you tried the hook grip or the alternate grip? They help. I assume you have chalk.

OHP is a very beneficial lift but it really is the most difficult for me. I was never very coordinated but after 8 years I'm making some progress. Dr. Sullivan has a very good article on it on our Greysteel face book page. You can join by asking to join, if you wish. Greysteel Newsletter 4.18.2021: Shoulder J-Hook Edition!
    Wow, that really worked today!! Added 1kg/2,2lbs to the press, better technique overall. Ive read some more today on this website regarding the press, so I am not so worried anymore. Thank you so much for tips and help!!

Hi Bill!!

Yep, got both liquid and normal chalk in the mail today! So I'm exited about trying it on Friday on the deadlift.
    Regarding the press, you are absolutely right. I need to learn to just take it slowly and not loose focus if it stalls.

Adjusted a bit on the technique today, and it feels much better.

Week 7, day 2

BW a bit down today.. but not much. I will keep an eye on the scale.
    Squat: 242x5x3
    Press: 100x5x3 (had a reset a couple of weeks ago, but after some tips here, I got a better technique, and managed all sets across on this weight!)
    Clean: 88x3x5 (technique.....oh boy.

Squats are starting to get harder. I wouldn't say they seem to be an issue, but I can really feel the speed is slowing a bit.
    I think I suffered from some "divebombing" the last weeks, so I have focused a bit more on slowing it a bit down, but still thinking about
    the bounce at the bottom. So speed is slower, but I feel tighter and more focused. I still feel strong, and it is fun. I am below parallell by some inches.

Press had its renaissance today I have better technique, and I have accepted the fact that the press is special. I may have to adjust the programming to a more TM/compressed TM for that lift, and maybe both the bench and the press needs some adjustment. But for now, all is good. I can't wait to add 2 punds on the bench on Friday!

Gyms are open here in Northern Norway. Since its just a couple of people and some polar-bears in my hometown, Covid 19 has not set its foot here.
    Nevertheless, I got a deal at my workplace to invest in some Eleiko stuff... so we will have more lifting opportunities soon, with lots of chalk!
    I also started to collect some equipment for my own future home gym in the garage. Dont have a bar yet, but some steel plates. Update to come!

Nutrition is ok. I can really see major changes to my body. I am now about the same weight as in December, but with better arms, back, shoulders and legs. I am also able to see my abs if I want to. So Ive lost the fat, but added muscle. I am set up to add weight. My plan is to keep track on the lifts, my weight and general appearance. I don't want to get fat... so 6000kcal is out of the question. I have time to rest, and I do not have a too heavy workday. But I do not care if I go a bit soft, as long its under control. This make it a bit more fun. I eat a lot of fish, high in protein and low in calories.

At the end I can tell that I've some issue with sciatica pain in my left hip. I checked it on YouTube yesterday, and some stretching is really helping. But after two years with pain from herniated discs, I am happy that it seems like just a nerve pinch between some muscles in my ass. Maybe the squats have made me so strong that the nerves can't keep up, haha... but then again...seriously- the pain is so bad I almost loose control of walking. Strange after squatting 110kg with no issues!

Quote Originally Posted by Åsali View Post
    Hi Bill!!

Yep, got both liquid and normal chalk in the mail today! So I'm exited about trying it on Friday on the deadlift.
    Regarding the press, you are absolutely right. I need to learn to just take it slowly and not loose focus if it stalls.

Adjusted a bit on the technique today, and it feels much better.
    Great to hear, on all counts. I've never used the liquid chalk, but hear good things about it, especially in gyms like yours where they frown on it.

When I started using chalk, I was going to a commercial gym. I kept it clean, cleaned up after myself, and even offered to clean up larger messes (like when a block broke into several pieces too small to pick up) and never had any issues. There's an older thread in the Gyms & Equipment forum here that several of us talk about it. It seems like ages ago since that discussion! Now, with my home gym, I only worry about the bar, since the chalk attracts moisture and leads to rust.

Also, when I started using the chalk, I was switching from double overhand to mixed grip at 135lbs and higher, and it was still slipping. The chalk solved that slipping problem. Now I use double overhand for everything up to (and including) 300lbs. Your grip will get there.

starting strength coach development program
    A brief comment on the squat. I worried so much about the bounce that I kept slipping into dive bombing. Sully said "keep tight and go down slow" but my depth was not always good. So, he said "think of the bottom as a minute pause squat". It pretty much solved that problem. I found I could life more with more consistent depth than before.

Maybe that helps though I'm still not sure where this "bounce" is.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast