starting strength gym
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SS Linear Arctic Circle

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Week 8, day 2

BW 77,3kg
    Squat: 90kg/ 198lbs x 5 x 3 (light Wednesday introduced!)
    Bench: 83kg/ 183lbs x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 125kg/ 275lbs x 5 x 1

So, Ive introduced the "light Wednesday". I think I have been a bit tired the last week... some pain in my hip, as Ive already have told, but in general.. the heavy lifting, especially the squat is starting to catch up. Its fun, but heavy.
    The light weight is amazing, haha... so fun to just blast through this, only to focus on the technique. 90 kg was about 80% of Mondays work.

The benchpress was super easy... its so strange, 83kg feels lighter than the time I was struggling with 76kg. I don't feel like this is going to stall. I hope for 90kg soon, and I have a goal to reach 100kg/ 225lbs before this autumn at least!

Deadlift....hmm.... I fucked it up. Not focused... had some grip issues, but the weight is not too heavy. I am not focused because of the pain I guess. All in all, I am super happy of the results. The lighter squats is all welcomed.

So, the pain. Its not worse- but its not better. The last days I have thought that it may not be the piriformis syndrome. I actually think its a problem with the SI joint. It makes sense!
    Its more describing the pain, and it may be the answer to the pain being worse, just when I release the pressure of the bar f ex.

I took some painkillers, and today- at Thursday (1 day after lifting) I took 1gr of paracetamol, and 800mg of Ibuprofen. This takes the pain of from 08AM to 06PM, wich is good!

What do you guys and girls think?? If I am able, I should still train? The pain is not "killing" me... just nearly. Could I keep going with an SI joint issue?

Åsali,

Having been where you are at a couple of times, I would keep training. But I am not a doctor, nor a physical therapist, nor any of those other professions that could tell you for sure what is going on with you. So take below with the appropriate grain of salt, as it's not medical advice.

The reason that I say that is based on your descriptions, especially when you mention that it worsens right as you re-rack the bar. I do know that at its worst, I would have very successful heavy squat sets, only to have to grab the rack and hold myself up for a minute because of the pain. Then I'd straighten up and walk around until my next set, which would go great, then I'd have to grab the rack again. This happened off and on for a couple of weeks, then everything settled down as my lower back adjusted to the volume. The light squat days sure helped with that.

It has been a few months since I've had the issue, but just this morning, as soon as I was done tying my boots, it returned for a moment. That told me that my activities this week—heavy squats & deads on Monday; a brisk 15km hike with 700m of elevation gain on Tuesday; then my Light Wednesday (90% of Monday)—have stressed my back a bit. Unfortunately, I couldn't heed that warning, as I had tied on my boots to lead a team spending the day digging a new hiking trail today. Tomorrow is a Heavy squat day and Medium deads, so I may just very well be in your same situation this weekend.

I know that it's worrisome when it's happening to you, but you aren't alone in experiencing this. If you haven't yet, read the articles that I linked a few discussions back that cover back pain and lifting. Also, search the "Managing Injuries" forum and you'll find many entries on your situation. Of course, you can post your question in that forum; Dr Will Morris has been very responsive to queries lately.

Hang in there. It will get better. Much better than if you stop lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Åsali,

Having been where you are at a couple of times, I would keep training. But I am not a doctor, nor a physical therapist, nor any of those other professions that could tell you for sure what is going on with you. So take below with the appropriate grain of salt, as it's not medical advice.

The reason that I say that is based on your descriptions, especially when you mention that it worsens right as you re-rack the bar. I do know that at its worst, I would have very successful heavy squat sets, only to have to grab the rack and hold myself up for a minute because of the pain. Then I'd straighten up and walk around until my next set, which would go great, then I'd have to grab the rack again. This happened off and on for a couple of weeks, then everything settled down as my lower back adjusted to the volume. The light squat days sure helped with that.

It has been a few months since I've had the issue, but just this morning, as soon as I was done tying my boots, it returned for a moment. That told me that my activities this week—heavy squats & deads on Monday; a brisk 15km hike with 700m of elevation gain on Tuesday; then my Light Wednesday (90% of Monday)—have stressed my back a bit. Unfortunately, I couldn't heed that warning, as I had tied on my boots to lead a team spending the day digging a new hiking trail today. Tomorrow is a Heavy squat day and Medium deads, so I may just very well be in your same situation this weekend.

I know that it's worrisome when it's happening to you, but you aren't alone in experiencing this. If you haven't yet, read the articles that I linked a few discussions back that cover back pain and lifting. Also, search the "Managing Injuries" forum and you'll find many entries on your situation. Of course, you can post your question in that forum; Dr Will Morris has been very responsive to queries lately.

Hang in there. It will get better. Much better than if you stop lifting.

Still not sure how I can pay back for all this help...Iam speechless.. great forum!
    Yeah what you describe is exactly that feeling. Just holding the bar...waiting to slowly get up again, and just to walk around, preparing for the next set.
    This is also the reason I moved away from the piriformis syndrom... didn't make sense of that pain when we release the pressure. Reading a lot about the SI joint, makes more sense.... but Im not a doctor either.

A "overdose" of Ibuprofen helps a lot. Did take 800mg, twice a day- and then I am almost painfree. So no big worries.

Thank you again for the uplifting words- It sure feels bad for some times in lifting, but I have decided to keep on doing it, despite the pain. I think it will get better soon.

Week 8, day 3

BW up to 78,3kg/172lbs (been eating a lot of calories...but not to much of protein, so my diet hasn't been so good lately)

Squat: 117,5kg/258,5lbs x 5 x 3
    Press: 46kg/101,2lbs x 5 x 3
    PC: 45kg/99lbs x 3 x 5
    Chinups: 12,10,10

Didnt do the Fridays work. Too much at work, and a lonely kid back home I needed to take care of. Life is like it use to.
    So I went back to the gym this Saturday for my final day this week.

Squat felt like shit. Warmup was good and easy, but I didn't focus, and the rack was in front of a mirror. It always fucks me up!
    Set nr 2 was a bit easier, and I took my phone to videotape it. Speed is good, but form was nut up to par.
    Tried to focus a bit more on keeping the back more flat. Thought about hips, and it all went better in set 3.

The squat did kind a "shock" me at first. I almost forgot the heavy feeling, since I had a light Wednesday. Maybe that was the reason...?
    Anyway, I did it, and this time it was not so painful. It may flare up a bit..but it is not so bad now.

Press was easy, but my body is tired. Had a couple of beers last night... may have slept a bit bad. My protein intake has not been monitored, and I know
    I haven't been to kind to my self. So I need to shape it up!!

Powercleans is okay. Not heavy, and the technique is getting better.

All in all a good day, even if I felt tired. I know it is good, because I manage the weight. It was just not so fun today. I guess it will be better on Monday!
    I also got some Eleiko steel plates this Friday! I'm saving up for a home gym!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Åsali View Post
    Still not sure how I can pay back for all this help...Iam speechless.. great forum!

Thank you again for the uplifting words- It sure feels bad for some times in lifting, but I have decided to keep on doing it, despite the pain. I think it will get better soon.
    That's the beauty of having folks in one place who have worked through all of this stuff at one time or another. Hang around here for a few years and you pick up a lot of information. It would be silly to hoard that information.

For me, as expected, I had to grab the rack after each of my squat sets yesterday. The volume this week and lack of recovery put me in a similar situation as you. Luckily it hasn't presented itself much other than that, but I've yet to try and tie my shoes today.

Week 8, day 3

BW up to 78,3kg/172lbs (been eating a lot of calories...but not to much of protein, so my diet hasn't been so good lately)

Squat: 117,5kg/258,5lbs x 5 x 3
    Press: 46kg/101,2lbs x 5 x 3
    PC: 45kg/99lbs x 3 x 5
    Chinups: 12,10,10
    Ahhh, there it is. I hadn't keyed in on this—78,3kg/172lbs—earlier. You'll need to get that diet dialed in if you want to progress and not hurt so much. Part of getting rid of the pain is giving your body the ability to build those back muscles to cope with the weights that you are pushing and pulling. No doubt that if you asked in the main forums, Rip and others would tell you to get your body weight to 220lbs as fast as possible. Often easier said than done, nor as desirable for many who are lifting to live instead of living to lift. But you do need to get the protein under control. I finally broke down and supplement with whey protein shakes a couple+ times a day to make sure I get enough.

All in all a good day, even if I felt tired. I know it is good, because I manage the weight. It was just not so fun today. I guess it will be better on Monday!
    I also got some Eleiko steel plates this Friday! I'm saving up for a home gym!!!
    It will become less and less fun, that's for sure, especially as you get heavier in the squat. You'll stand it up in the rack, think to yourself "what in the world am I doing?" then you'll do the set. Then you'll think that there's no way you can do any more. Then you'll go through the process for the second set. The same for the third. The fun is later that evening, beer in hand, when you reflect back on getting it done. Better yet is when you finish a grueling limit workout, then look back in your training log and see how far you've come in the last month(s), years, or since you began.

Congrats on making your way towards your own home gym. It was a game-changer for us. I frequently drive past my old commercial gym and at no point to I have a twinge of nostalgia for it.

Asali, as a new comer to the forum, after some time of browsing, I've enjoyed reading your log, especially as you're ahead of me with your progress. Keep up the (hopefully injury free) good work

Quote Originally Posted by alexr2611 View Post
    Asali, as a new comer to the forum, after some time of browsing, I've enjoyed reading your log, especially as you're ahead of me with your progress. Keep up the (hopefully injury free) good work
    Hi! Thanks for that! I sure keep you updated, and I am sorry if I miss on some of the language etc... Norwegian lifter you know

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Ahhh, there it is. I hadn't keyed in on this—78,3kg/172lbs—earlier. You'll need to get that diet dialed in if you want to progress and not hurt so much. Part of getting rid of the pain is giving your body the ability to build those back muscles to cope with the weights that you are pushing and pulling. No doubt that if you asked in the main forums, Rip and others would tell you to get your body weight to 220lbs as fast as possible. Often easier said than done, nor as desirable for many who are lifting to live instead of living to lift. But you do need to get the protein under control. I finally broke down and supplement with whey protein shakes a couple+ times a day to make sure I get enough.
    Yep! I know the bodyweight is not ideal in terms of SS and Rip... but then again, my goal is to be strong- but not at every cost. I find it fun to check the progress on bodyweight, PR progression, protein intake and the overall appearance. Its not a secret that I may wish to have a kind of a "beach bod" this summer. But since the summer here in Northern Norway comes on a Wednesday, and leaves already at Thursday... it should not keep me from lifting heavy weights- even if I let the body fat drop a bit. haha...

I know if I eat to little... I can feel and see it in the mirror. I have some visual abs.. but their soft. I am happy to check my progress from some months ago. It really shows results after lifting in the NLP. If my abs get sharper... I feel weaker, but I think I am about 15+ body fat... I am okay if it gets higher, but not to much. My goal is to get to 85kg within some months. It is starting to stabilize at 78+kg now, still rising

Week 9, day 1

BW 78,3kg (i was 73,6 in the beginning of march... so I am happy with the gains).

Squat: 120kg/ 264lbs x 5 x 3
    Bench: 84kg/ 184,8lbs x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 127,5kg/280,5lbs x 5 x 1

Oh yeah! Monday is good!
    I have some days, where I don't believe in my self. It is a bit weird, but I guess the heavier weights is starting to grab on to my brain.
    In the beginning... I just "thought" things was heavy. But now I can FEEL it. It is heavy in a good way though. I really like the tight feeling in my body,
    the control and sound of the "internal organs..." when I get up from the hole. This was heavy but easy. I shared a rack with a new friend of mine, so the warmups was
    a bit heavier than usual. Still, I passed him in the working sets, and that was a bit fun. Im 34.. he is a 21 year old military dude! But FUCK he has a good benchpress!!

The last set was a bit funny. I really dive-bombed the damn thing on my first rep. My friend had to pick up a flashlight and really look after me down in the hole! Where the hell did I go??? I laughed on the way up.. realizing that that was an ass to ground squat. Too deep! It took me ages to get up. That fucked my mind, but I managed to focus and complete the rest of the four reps in a more controlled manner! More please! And the pain is not bad at all today. I can feel it, but its not bothering me.

Press is good, but a bit heavy on the first set. It almost occurred to me, that the two other sets maybe could fail. Fuck this mindset! I focused... felt strong, and had my buddy to spot me and check for proper form. This is his league, so I got some good tips! The two other sets was easier... and he pushed me to take 6 reps on the last set. Not possible to tell these guys about the fhiiiives..... but I did it. no problem!

Deadlift.... well.... It works. While its heavy, Its still manageable. This was a good set, without pain, and I liked it. Didn't have a good feeling last time, but this is better.
    I am a bit behind on the deadlift because I took it really easy in the first place some weeks ago. I may have gone up 10lbs for a longer time... but I think its best to stay at 5lbs each time. All in all a good day! I am smiling!

After a good deadlift, it almost feels like I have a big internal bleeding, warming up all my muscles... I know it sounds fucked up, but it is good!! Its not the pain related feeling of a bleeding I am talking about.. just the feeling of a "rush" of "something". I can feel I hit the correct muscles.. and laying down in my bed tonight will be like heaven!

Keep on lifting!!

starting strength coach development program
    Well done!

Yep, the weights will start feeling heavy for real now. The fun one is when you can hear the blood rushing through your ears as you squat, then quieting as you get back to the top, only to hear it again, and again, and again.

About that deadlift, I think that most folks who do the program themselves (without coaching) start off too light on the deadlift relative to the squat, and that continues through their NLP. I know that I did the first (and second, and third) time that I did it. Last year was the first time I got it right and peaked at a 41kg differential before the squat started slowly catching up to the deadlift. You have a couple of options to get that deadlift further from your squat, but you're already comfortable with how you're doing it, so keep at it!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast