starting strength gym
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: SS Linear Arctic Circle

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Week 9, day 2

BW: 77,5kg /170,5 lbs.... I need to eat more, but Ive managed the protein intake these days.

Squat: 95kg/209lbs x 5 x 3 (Light Wednesday)
    Press: 46,5kg/102,3lbs x 5 x 3
    PC: 47,5kg/104,5 x 3 x 5
    Chinups: 10, 10, 10

The light Wednesday is sure a nice rest. 95kg feels very easy, but today I also had some pain again. I think it was due to me not warming up to good.
    I guess I took the coming sets for granted.

Press felt good! My technique is getting better for each time. Im still adding just 0,5kg/1,1lbs each time, and I guess that's ok.
    I don't feel like I am about to stall this movement for some time.

Powercleans are starting to get fun! My technique is getting better, after watching a lot of YouTube videos of Dimitry Klokov and Zack Telander. They have some good instructions
    on this, and I find the more "olympic style" more intimidating. The sets don't feel heavy, just fun. I sure look forward to the next session.

Chinups, I just did 10x3.... could have done more, but didn't have the time for resting. Next time I will add some weights, because I have had 3 sets with more than 10 reps now.

The pain did go away at the end of my training, and the everyday life is also feeling better. I don't need any painkillers.

Week 9, day 3

BW 77,3kg ( still need to eat!)

Squat: 122,5kg/269,5lbs x 5 x 3
    Bench: 85kg/187lbs x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 130kg/286lbs x 5 x 1

This was a fun day! No pain (well I still can feel "something") and the lifts was a breeze! To feel like this on Friday is a good sign.
    There were a lot of friends in the gym, so there was a lot of talking and laughing. This made the workout take some time, and I also got more rest
    between sets than I needed, but what the hell.

The squats are super tight and heavy. Fun! I still have a tendency to mess my head up before the workout... thinking about not making all the reps etc.
    But this was really fun. My first set was deep and good. I knew I would take the other two, so I could just smile! I think my protein intake has something to do with this.
    I still struggle to keep the weight on my body, but I will work on it this weekend. Just eat and relax.

The bench was heavy... but set 2 and 3 was better than the first one. My spotter thought it was very good, so I guess its okay Always fun with new PRs!

Deadlift is back in town! I use some chalk, and straps for the working sets. I also have cut down some of the warmups. I think I had to many of them before.
    I always warmup with the thumb grip. But to keep my confidence, I need the straps still for my woking set. When I get some more gym equipment back home, I can start to practice my grip strength a bit more Don't wanna use more time in the gym right now.

All in all a very good day!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Well done!

Yep, the weights will start feeling heavy for real now. The fun one is when you can hear the blood rushing through your ears as you squat, then quieting as you get back to the top, only to hear it again, and again, and again.

About that deadlift, I think that most folks who do the program themselves (without coaching) start off too light on the deadlift relative to the squat, and that continues through their NLP. I know that I did the first (and second, and third) time that I did it. Last year was the first time I got it right and peaked at a 41kg differential before the squat started slowly catching up to the deadlift. You have a couple of options to get that deadlift further from your squat, but you're already comfortable with how you're doing it, so keep at it!
    Haha, I had some sign of "seeing stars" on the last rep of the final set in the squat this Friday. That was kinda fun! Will be interesting to see how adding more weight will change the feeling of lifting!

Cant believe Im starting on week 10 now! Really happy to still progress on the NLP, and I still have the tools for back-off sets, 3x3, one on-two off... tapering and squeezing the rest of the LP before I need to change to intermediate. My goal is 200kg for the squat some day!

Great news on the pain! Now you have the understanding to deal with it when it happens again. Yes, it will happen again. It's just part of the process.

For your deadlift grip, consider using the mixed grip + chalk instead of straps. Your deadlifts are still light (yes, really) and you'll benefit greatly from strengthening your grip, which will still happen with a mixed grip, while the straps slow that process. You can probably get another 50kg+ (seriously!) with just your hands alone, leaving the straps for when/if you get to halting deadlifts & rack pulls during your intermediate training.

Keep enjoying the process. The fun part will be in another several weeks when you look back at these posts and see how far you've come. Keep at it!
    Last edited by Bill Anders; 05-09-2021 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Oops, put 100kg+. Fixed.

Week 10, day 1

BW: 78,7kg/173,3lbs ( I really got my weight up this weekend maybe a bit too much for just a couple of days...)

Squat: 125kg/ 275lbs x 5 x 3
    Press: 47kg/ 103,4lbs x 5 x 3
    PC: 50kg/ 110lbs x 3 x 5
    Chinups: 7,7,7 (all with 5kg added on a belt)

So, week 10 is coming up, and this should feel good after resting this weekend. I have eaten a lot, and got my bodyweight up around 1kg...jeezz haha.
    I guess I need this, since if I don't eat more than I want to.. I'm loosing it back. My abs are barely visible.

The squat was heavy today. I have struggled with sleep for almost 3 weeks, and I only got about 4 hours this night. Im also a bit dizzy, and had trouble to focus.
    It didn't get any better when I jumped into a warm outdoor jacuzzi BEFORE my workout. I was too hot, sweating and felt bad. never again!
    While it was heavy, it still manageable. I ned to focus on depth.. could have a 1/2" deeper on some of the reps after checking my form on the iPhone.
    I also feel a bit of the pain, but I'm not worried. Its all good.

Press was super easy, no problem adding weight here, and my technique is better each time. This was fun. I also was super focused, and tried to ignore my problems on the squat today.
    I really did finish the squat with almost no sleep, so I am proud of myself.

Powercleans is fun. Technique is getting there, although I really can feel that the heavier PC also takes its toll on the lower back. Resting now is mandatory!

Chinups was easy. I just took 7 reps for 3 sets across with 5kg added on my BW. Im alternating the chin-ups with weight every other workout from now.

So at the end, I really don't understand why I am struggling with sleep. This has never occurred before. I have thought about maybe the stress on the body after lifting heavy, is "repairing" so much at night, that it wakes me up or something? I don't have pain.
    But off course the spring in northern norway is here, and sun is almost above the horizon even at midnight. In about a week or two... the midnight sun is here for months.
    Even if I don't had any problems with light, I am trying to keep it more dark in my bedroom.

Thats all for today, keep on lifting!

Quote Originally Posted by Åsali View Post
    Powercleans is fun. Technique is getting there, although I really can feel that the heavier PC also takes its toll on the lower back. Resting now is mandatory!
    Powercleans are fun! I'm in my 50s and I look forward to doing them every week.

But they shouldn't be taking a toll on your lower back. Make sure you are setting it like you do for your deadlift, then pull. When you catch in on your delts, cushion the catch with your hips and knees. Don't stand upright (that's what stresses the lower back).

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Powercleans are fun! I'm in my 50s and I look forward to doing them every week.

But they shouldn't be taking a toll on your lower back. Make sure you are setting it like you do for your deadlift, then pull. When you catch in on your delts, cushion the catch with your hips and knees. Don't stand upright (that's what stresses the lower back).
    I think you are just on the point there... I've adjusted a bit, and now it is better

Week 10, day 2

BW 78kg

Squat: 100kg/220lbs x 5 x 3 (light Wednesday)
    Bench: 86kg/189,5lbs x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 132,5kg/292lbs x 5 x 1

So this is another light Wednesday workout. Thats only for the squat, as the other lifts are going by themselves.
    If you have read the log, you can see that I got an advise to include a lighter load on the Wednesday, and I included it in week 8.
    This means that I have about 80% load of the Mondays workout. Its a nice way to have your body adapt to the volume, and it works.
    My body really feels better. This means I add 5kg pr week, vs 7,5kg previously.

The squat today was fun. I also would advise people to focus on technique on this lighter day. I managed to pause-squat 100kg, and that was fun. I feel its not that long ago I was a bit scared og the 100kg benchmark... but hey, now I can play with those weights!

The benchpress is again starting to feel a bit heavy. I still have no problem to finish the sets, and I guess I will manage some more kg in the following weeks. I really hope to reach 90kg, before I need more adjustments, either going to 3x3 or just adding 0,5kg pr session. The funny thing is that I have been closing in on other in my gym, who have been training for years on the bench, and they just can't understand what is going on. I try to preach about the program and NLP, only to end up to deaf ears.

Deadlift is easy. Nothing more to say about it. It only feels scary due to the pain issues I have in my hip. After squatting, and progressing to the deadlift... I have some pain, but this is also getting better and better- so we just continue the lifting!!

Week 10, day 3

BW 78kg (starting to stabilize in the upper 77/78kg. Abs are almost gone, so Ive added enough fat for this round. As long as my
    lifts are progressing, I don't think about adding more body fat. I will track my weight, and form-check in the mirror. If things are going
    leaner, and a clear trend to loose weight, I eat more, and visa versa.)

Squat: 127,5kg/281lbs x 5 x 3
    Press: 47,5kg/104,7lbs x 5 x 3
    PC: 52,5kg/116lbs x 3 x 5
    Chinups: 12, 10, 10

Struggling with being nervous before training. I need to work on that! Any advise would be nice! haha
    The squat is so good. Heavy as f..ck, but I still have good speed, and technique is good. Almost no pain.
    I can feel the need to wait some more minutes. I had around 8min between my last two sets, so squatting alone takes around 40min
    including warmups and some minor talking After reading the blue book again, I focus on hip drive and pressing my knees out. My knees are never caving in,
    but just focusing on that and hipdrive works. Also keep the eyes and chest towards the ground. I know if I lift up my chest.. things are going bad.
    My depth is really good, so now that's in place!

Press is so easy. I have starting to think that I may have been putting on some more muscles in the previous weeks, so adding 1kg vs 0,5kg should be possible.
    I will se next Wednesday how it feels. If it is almost "too easy" I will try to add more each session. I have good microplates from Eleiko (0,25/0,5/1,25. all in kg).

Powercleans.... I need to focus on the technique. Its not heavy, but I know this wasn't the most beautiful of my lifts. Still, fun as hell- and others are starting to ask about how to do this kind of lifts.

Chinups are super easy.. no added weight this time.

Keep on lifting!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Åsali View Post
    The benchpress is again starting to feel a bit heavy. I still have no problem to finish the sets, and I guess I will manage some more kg in the following weeks. I really hope to reach 90kg, before I need more adjustments, either going to 3x3 or just adding 0,5kg pr session.!
    Before you make those adjustments to your presses, watch Nick Delgadillo's discussion on how to manage them here.

Sure, your presses feel "so easy" right now, but they will be the first ones to grind to a halt, followed by the bench. He has some great tips (other than 3x3) to keep them going up.

Keep at it!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast