starting strength gym
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: SS Linear Arctic Circle

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Week 11, day 1

BW 78,8kg (been adding some weight, and I surely can see the added bodyfat percentage)

Squat: 130kg/286lbs x 5 x 3
    Bench: 87kg/192lbs x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: didnt finish due to time!

So today was the National Day of Norway! Didnt plan to do the workout, since my schedule was really tight! Celebrating, friends, parents, eating, children, icecream you know....
    But I trained in another gym then normally, with my brother.

Squat was DEAD heavy!! Fuck this is almost scary! We trained late in the evening, and my sleep hasnt been all that good. I didnt like the squat, but I managed to complete all three sets.
    Now I dont now how long this will last... but I think I will struggle from now on, 130kg was fucking heavy.

Benchpress was super easy, actually almost too easy?? Felt strong, felt good!

Didnt make the deadlift... time was running out. Need to catch up on tuesday for a deadlift session.

I have added bodyweight for some time now. My abs are gone, and I can really feel the more fluffy look. I dont want to add anymore extra kg, if its not helping my progression.
    I feel a bit more slower progress will suit me better, but maybe I will stall sooner on the NLP. I will see on friday, how the squat feels like.

Great job. Looks like you are squating 100 lbs more than your body weight, I’m sure that feels really heavy. Amazing how strong you are getting in under 3 months!

Quote Originally Posted by timr62 View Post
    Great job. Looks like you are squating 100 lbs more than your body weight, I’m sure that feels really heavy. Amazing how strong you are getting in under 3 months!
    Hi!

Thanks! That means a lot! Specially since I am struggling a bit with motivation/nervous when training now. Its getting hard

Week 11, day 1 b)

Deadlift: 135kg/297lbs x 5 x 1

Nothing special about this. Felt heavy... my body does not feel so good after yesterday (Monday)
    But I will not focus on any negativity for now... I did it.. it came up easy- in a heavy way

Tired... bad sleep... and I really fried my lower back, Wish I had done the deadlift on Monday, so Tuesday could be a rest-day.

Week 11, day 2

BW 78,7kg ( I actually have increased my bw with 13lbs since march)

Squat: 100kg/220lbs x 5 x 3 (light Wednesday)
    Press: 48kg/105,8lbs x 5 x 3 (this Is 45lbs increase since the start of my NLP! happy!)
    PC: 55kg/121lbs x 3 x 5
    Chinups: 8, 8, 8 with 5kg added (one more rep pr set since last time)

My body is not that great. I am still struggling with sleep, although this night was better than previously.
    I was thinking about doing 105kg in this light Wednesday, but stopped at 100, and that's a bit below 80% of Mondays workout. It didn't feel so good,
    It has a slight hurting effect... but not so bad. Set 2 and 3 was better, and I played with paused squats. I tried 5 second pause with no problem to get up from the hole. This
    made the lift a bit more fun. Not so good technique... well... focus a bit more on this. Depth is good.

Press is super easy. Dont know if I need to say anything more. I keep adding 0,5kg each time.

Powercleans are a bit more heavy, but fun. I am not so good at technique, and I feel that maybe NLP is a bit to fast in adding weight- missing on the technique side of things. But that's me.
    Maybe I need to keep weights over a couple of workouts.. I don't know.

Chinups felt good

Some thoughts:

Bodyweight. I know that adding bodyweight is key to the SS method and the NLP. I always have been a bit fluffy, but never fat. This winter I started to focus on clean eating, and managed my calorie intake.
    I have learned a lot, and I have watched hundreds of YT videos on this topic. What I find useful, is that we should be a bit careful when adding bw. The traditional "bulking" is the SS way to be sure to have enough
    chance to build muscle... but muscles can also be built without adding to much body fat at once. F example, if you have razor sharp abs.. your body fat is probably to low to add any muscle, and impossible on the NLP. You will stall.
    Eating enough.. keeping the body fat % above 15 should be attempted, but more than 20 seems to be a bit too much. I don't actually think that anyone would have the need to add more than that.
    Although I find this reasonable, I must admit that I am a novice, and will be a novice for months. It may be that just getting a bit more "fat" should be the approach, but I don't wanna do that. I don't do this to just lift the heaviest weights,
    I want to lift heavy and still keep my body in a reasonable shape. Especially this summer. I have worked hard for this. I have managed to be pretty strong... with a slight visible 4/6 pack.
    So for those who is struggling to decide how much bodyweight to put on... I think that watching several sources for info would be good.

The Squat may be the lift I will struggle the most from now on. I am not sure what I should do this Friday. Plan is to add another 5lbs... but I may be trying Mondays weight instead. Either that or taking a reset of 10%.
    Still, I don't have failed yet... don't know why I am thinking on this so much, but I guess its normal. After todays dinner... and while writing this- my mood is a bit better, and I actually think I will try to just add 5 more pounds. But I will need to have some better sleep. I also am thinking about maybe doing some intermediate programming for the squat- but that may be to soon this time.

Thank you for reading! Keep on lifting!
    Last edited by Åsali; 05-19-2021 at 11:19 AM. Reason: checked my training log, actually have added 45lbs on the press since 10. march!

Week 11, day 3

BW 79,2kg/ 174,6lbs (up from 73,5kg in march)

Squat: 132,5kg/292lbs x 5 x 3
    Bench: 88kg/194lbs x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 137,5kg/303lbs x 5 x 1

Well this is interesting! I have focused a lot on relaxing, eating and sleep. My sleep has been bad, and Thursday I had to have a spinning instruction lesson at the gym, so scared to
    fuck up my rest.
    My bodyweight has gone up about 2lb this week.. and I have nailed the protein intake.

The squat was amazing! I used a lot of time on the warmup, had some slight pain in the beginning. So I tested the weights up to around 120kg/1 rep, and rested about 5 minutes before my working sets..
    Its heavy as hell, but I had total control and no problem of grinding those reps. With 10 minutes rest between sets, I finished all three! I am so happy!! This is still working pretty much!

The benchpress was super easy, no problem. All three sets was a breeze.

The deadlift was heavy as fuck... I may have had to much warmup- maybe I should just cut those down a bit. My lower back was fried after the working set. Still, I think they feel scarier then they are. But I managed to complete the set. Finally above 300lb!!

Been thinking a lot of fatigue. For me it has been a bit hard to understand my fatigue. I am never sore... just tired. Yesterday, my mood was bad.. struggled with everything. Today, after finally having a good night sleep, I was so happy and really ready for todays workout. Maybe I just got recovered in time. I am still unsure if the deadlift was suffering from fatigue. Gonna rest this weekend for sure. And the grind in the squat... I repeated several YouTube- videos of Rip discussing not being a pussy, and just do the damn sets. All reps. Thats my only goal for today. Do the damn set, one rep at a time. You haven't failed yet, and you need to learn how that feels. Guess that's my focus on Monday also.

Keep on lifting!!!

Would it help to list the warm ups? E.g., for the dead you might do 135 x 3; 225 x 2; 295 x 1; 303 x 5 x 1
    It's unusual that your squat at 292 x 5 x 3 was easier than your dead at 303 x 5 x 1. You either are a strong young lad or perhaps need a minor adjustment on you deadlift form.

Just some thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Would it help to list the warm ups? E.g., for the dead you might do 135 x 3; 225 x 2; 295 x 1; 303 x 5 x 1
    It's unusual that your squat at 292 x 5 x 3 was easier than your dead at 303 x 5 x 1. You either are a strong young lad or perhaps need a minor adjustment on you deadlift form.

Just some thoughts.
    Hi!

Yes off course.
    Started with 120lb x 5, 190 x 5, 240 x 3, and then the working set for 303 x 5 x 1.

My back was fried! I think my form is okay, but I will read some more in the bluebook and then film my sets on the phone.

Week 12, day 1

BW: 79,2kg

Squat: 135kg/297lb x 5 x 2 (last set failed on the second rep...)
    Press: 48,5kg/109lb x 5 x 3
    Chinups: 11, 10, 10 (bodyweight only)

This day was fantastic. Been feeling good this weekend, relaxing and eating. My pain has also been a lot better.
    The squat was very good, I focused hard and managed the two first set. Still, I failed immediately on the second rep on the third set! WOW!
    It wasn't a grind, just dead stop. I may have fucked it... but form was feeling good. But I learned something, and It was good to know how failing finally feels like.
    I will try this weight again on Fridays workout off course.

Pris is super easy, nothing more to say. I will try 1kg jump next time. 0,5 feels to easy.

Chinups is okay. My bodyweight has increased a bit, so it feels good to make 11 and 10 reps for all sets.

Another thing.... the pain has been an issue for some weeks. I have decided to alternate between chin-ups and pulling exercises. So now I don't have pulling each time.
    It already feels better in my mind and hips/lower back. I am visiting a physiotherapist (works at the gym) on Wednesday to just check something out for sure. Will update on that later. I discovered that in the Grey book, where the example of linear progression over 18 weeks are laid out.. the alternating between chin-up and pulls are included in week 13, so guess I'm fine with week 12 I have to do this now, because I need to "function" as an human in my everyday life. I have some projects, building projects and gardening, and my work is mentally draining. All this, and including some bad sleep- I am happy to have found something to try out. I am already feeling much better after today!

About the failed squat.... My legs was feeling good. I had a really good day!! So I actually don't now what happened. If someone knows the difference between a dead stop and a grind, please tell me

Keep on lifting!!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Åsali View Post
    Hi!

Yes off course.
    Started with 120lb x 5, 190 x 5, 240 x 3, and then the working set for 303 x 5 x 1.

My back was fried! I think my form is okay, but I will read some more in the bluebook and then film my sets on the phone.
    That might be it. You're doing too many warm-up reps too light, which tires out your back but doesn't do much to strengthen it. Then you're making too big of a jump between warmup sets (70-50-63 in your example above).

By the time you get to your deads after your squats and presses, you're warm. So no need to do those lighter sets.

For example, if I'm doing my workset of 305lbs (keeping close to your example):

225x5
    275x3
    290x1 (optional)
    305x5

Phil Meggers talks about this warmup scheme here, where he talks about "Plates and Quarters," which for us using Imperial weights, the Plate is 45lbs and the Quarter is 25lbs. So, in your case, 20s and 10s. Alternate adding those.

The optional 290x1 in my example above is very optional. It's very close to the work set, so it has the potential to sap you of the energy you need for your work set. When I'm pulling 315lbs or above, I stick with Phil's scheme and go from 275 to 315.

Keep at it!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast