starting strength gym
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: SS Linear Arctic Circle

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Åsali View Post
    The squat was very good, I focused hard and managed the two first set. Still, I failed immediately on the second rep on the third set! WOW!
    It wasn't a grind, just dead stop. I may have fucked it... but form was feeling good. But I learned something, and It was good to know how failing finally feels like.
    I will try this weight again on Fridays workout off course.

About the failed squat.... My legs was feeling good. I had a really good day!! So I actually don't now what happened. If someone knows the difference between a dead stop and a grind, please tell me
    There must be something in the air today. I had the same thing, but on my fifth rep of my first set at 310lbs. I've done plenty of grinds before (rep 4 of this set was a good example). This was just a complete lack of anything right after coming out of the hole, which I hadn't experienced before. The only thing I can think of is that I (perhaps you) just released all of the tightness coming out of the hole.

Thankfully, sets 2 & 3 were successful, with several real grindy reps.

Keep at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    There must be something in the air today. I had the same thing, but on my fifth rep of my first set at 310lbs. I've done plenty of grinds before (rep 4 of this set was a good example). This was just a complete lack of anything right after coming out of the hole, which I hadn't experienced before. The only thing I can think of is that I (perhaps you) just released all of the tightness coming out of the hole.

Thankfully, sets 2 & 3 were successful, with several real grindy reps.

Keep at it!
    Yeah, it was a complete stop! I think I will handle it on friday (light wednesday in between), so we will see.
    One thing... I used a good amount on the warmup... maybe to much- but I felt confident. Just used 40kgx5, 60kgx5, 80kgx3, 100kgx1, 110kgx1 and a final 1 rep on 120kg. This allows me to build confidense, and I
    didnt experience any pain. Had enough rest after warmup, and my body felt good. After the second set, it felt like I had been on a mountain hike! Out of breath and aexhausted... rested 10 minutes between sets.
    So even if my body felt good and strong, it was a hard workout!

That might be it. You're doing too many warm-up reps too light, which tires out your back but doesn't do much to strengthen it. Then you're making too big of a jump between warmup sets (70-50-63 in your example above).

By the time you get to your deads after your squats and presses, you're warm. So no need to do those lighter sets.

For example, if I'm doing my workset of 305lbs (keeping close to your example):

225x5
    275x3
    290x1 (optional)
    305x5

Phil Meggers talks about this warmup scheme here, where he talks about "Plates and Quarters," which for us using Imperial weights, the Plate is 45lbs and the Quarter is 25lbs. So, in your case, 20s and 10s. Alternate adding those.

The optional 290x1 in my example above is very optional. It's very close to the work set, so it has the potential to sap you of the energy you need for your work set. When I'm pulling 315lbs or above, I stick with Phil's scheme and go from 275 to 315.

Keep at it!
    Thanks a lot! I tried this today. Started at 100kg /220lb, and went to 120kg/264lb. 100kg felt so easy, always been a bit afraid to start that heavy.

Although... that been said.. I may have messed up again. I only did 3 reps at 100, and 1 rep at 120. Felt good and warm, the gym was also steaming today!

My working set at 140kg/309lb failed after the second rep, grinding the third... and I got a little "prrrrpt" in my lower back on the left side. Like torn cotton sound...
    I guess that's a back tweak.... well learned something today!

Maybe I warmed up a bit to little....

Week 12, day 2

BW: around 79kg stable

Squat: 110kg/242lb x 5 x 3 (light Wednesday)
    Bench: 89kg/196lb x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 140kg/309lb x 5 x 1 (failed after second rep, grinding the third- with back tweak...)

So week 12 has been interesting. I failed my squat on Monday in the last set, and today I had some pain, and even the light Wednesday felt a bit heavy.
    The squat was not a problem, just not fun, and didn't feel so good. I had some pain... irritating.

The benchpress is easy, once again!

Deadlift..... fuck me.... I got some good help in here regarding the warm up. I have always used to much effort here, and last Friday I just was too damn tired- although I completed the working set. Today I failed on my third rep. I felt form creep... and that ended in a back tweak, or something like that. Had a "prrrrpt" feeling in my lower back... not so painful- but it sure didn't feel good. The back is stiff now, guess I will have some fun tomorrow!

My day has been good. I have felt strong and full of energy. Some slight pain, but that's all. I failed Mondays squat, and today I failed the deadlift....
    The deadlift feels a bit... unfamiliar. I guess I have som form creep the last couple of workouts. The confident feeling is just not there.
    The warmup was good, and I now see that the thumb grip is working. For the working set I used straps. Dont know what to do now... but I guess I have to reset due to the back-tweak.

Oh well... learned something, good!

Thanks a lot! I tried this today. Started at 100kg /220lb, and went to 120kg/264lb. 100kg felt so easy, always been a bit afraid to start that heavy.

Although... that been said.. I may have messed up again. I only did 3 reps at 100, and 1 rep at 120. Felt good and warm, the gym was also steaming today!

My working set at 140kg/309lb failed after the second rep, grinding the third... and I got a little "prrrrpt" in my lower back on the left side. Like torn cotton sound...
    I guess that's a back tweak.... well learned something today!

Maybe I warmed up a bit to little....
    I'd lean towards that, too, if that was how it went down for me. Too few is pretty much the same as making too big of jumps between (which you may have done with that 120kg - 140kg jump, although that same 20kg jump between 100-120 was OK).

Perhaps:

100x5
    120x3
    130x1
    140x5

or

100x5
    110x3
    120x1
    130x1
    140x5

Either way, you're still doing fewer warmup reps than you did before last week's 137.5kg sets, but all are 100kg or heavier, of which you only did 3 last week. These are more beneficial, but you have to do just enough of them.

BTW, this warmup scheme is in The Barbell Prescription (which I'm sure you don't have, since you aren't quite there yet, but once you pass 35, start thinking about it). Sullivan and Baker recommend on pages 175-6:

1. As many sets with empty bar as necessary (for your first lift of the day) (edit: actually they don't say "first lift of the day", as they show only one example from empty bar to 300+lbs. However, throughout the forums there are many instances where Rip, et al., write about decreasing warmups as you progress through your workout, since you are already warm).

2. The first warmup with weight added to the bar is done for 5 reps

3. The next (and possibly one additional) warmup set is done for 3 reps

4. All other warmup sets are done for singles.

These are calculated by working backwards from your work weight.

1. The last warmup single is 5-10% below your work weight (130kg is 8% in the examples above, while 120kg is 14%).

2. Increments below that are 15-20% (the plates and quarters that Meggers described should keep you pretty close to this without having to do the math).

There are many ways to approach this. But as you're finding, the fewer the better, but not too few.

Keep at it!
    Last edited by Bill Anders; 05-27-2021 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Added clarifying note about empty bar reps

BTW, this warmup scheme is in The Barbell Prescription (which I'm sure you don't have, since you aren't quite there yet, but once you pass 35, start thinking about it). Sullivan and Baker recommend on pages 175-6:
    Hi Bill!

I just need to say, that when I got the back tweak, the first thing I thought about (besides "fuuuuck") was "Maybe Bill or Carson, or some other could help me with this.."
    Your effort in keeping me informed and able to keep on going has helped me a lot. This kind of training, the Starting Strength method and all the amazing knowledge and information has not only made me stronger, but aware of how "lonely" you can feel. I have almost nobody to talk to about this. Everyone thinks I train too hard, not doing enough reps.. not enough exercises, and the fact that I have catched up to others in 3 months, who they have been training for years, is still the elephant in the room.
    Living in Northern Norway, a beautiful place, has some drawbacks in the kind of "not so many people in my town...."

Regarding the book, I bought it yesterday, and wow- I should maybe have read it sooner. The blue and grey book is amazing, but I sometimes feel the pressure on the results. I also have to say that I started this year with an crashing fatigue. Work, relationship, back injuries and high stress was the reason I stopped running in December, to reach out to weightlifting- although I visited the machines and curls until march (Starting Strength). So looking back, and how I feel now is a victory in it self. I look strong, Ive added 7kg, I learned a lot, I squat 135kg for reps, was able to deadlift 140kg, the press is growing, and I just PR on the bench for 90kg x 5! All this in 12 weeks!

You and others are participating in the reason for me reaching this far, and it matters a lot to me! I don't know how to thank you.

I need to heel the back tweak, and I just use some time with lighter weights, going through the motions and practicing technique. Im better for every day.

After this, I have to work up to my previous 5RM for the squat and deadlift, maybe the press- it was just too hurting to press weights over my head yesterday. Then, I need to feel if it is the same as last time... dealing with pain and fatigue. I realize that fatigue has been creeping, and that pain in SI joints have been a struggle. Relaxing a bit now has already fixed it.

Im only 35, but still had a lot of struggle in my life. This third book has interesting views, and Im sure it will help in further progress!

Hi Bill!

I just need to say, that when I got the back tweak, the first thing I thought about (besides "fuuuuck") was "Maybe Bill or Carson, or some other could help me with this.."
    Your effort in keeping me informed and able to keep on going has helped me a lot. This kind of training, the Starting Strength method and all the amazing knowledge and information has not only made me stronger, but aware of how "lonely" you can feel. I have almost nobody to talk to about this. Everyone thinks I train too hard, not doing enough reps.. not enough exercises, and the fact that I have catched up to others in 3 months, who they have been training for years, is still the elephant in the room.
    Living in Northern Norway, a beautiful place, has some drawbacks in the kind of "not so many people in my town...."

Regarding the book, I bought it yesterday, and wow- I should maybe have read it sooner. The blue and grey book is amazing, but I sometimes feel the pressure on the results. I also have to say that I started this year with an crashing fatigue. Work, relationship, back injuries and high stress was the reason I stopped running in December, to reach out to weightlifting- although I visited the machines and curls until march (Starting Strength). So looking back, and how I feel now is a victory in it self. I look strong, Ive added 7kg, I learned a lot, I squat 135kg for reps, was able to deadlift 140kg, the press is growing, and I just PR on the bench for 90kg x 5! All this in 12 weeks!

You and others are participating in the reason for me reaching this far, and it matters a lot to me! I don't know how to thank you.

I need to heel the back tweak, and I just use some time with lighter weights, going through the motions and practicing technique. Im better for every day.

After this, I have to work up to my previous 5RM for the squat and deadlift, maybe the press- it was just too hurting to press weights over my head yesterday. Then, I need to feel if it is the same as last time... dealing with pain and fatigue. I realize that fatigue has been creeping, and that pain in SI joints have been a struggle. Relaxing a bit now has already fixed it.

Im only 35, but still had a lot of struggle in my life. This third book has interesting views, and Im sure it will help in further progress!
    Keep in mind that our conversations help all of us. We've run across what you're experiencing now, have scrolled through the forums for years and have picked up a bit here and there. No sense in you doing all of that yourself. Plus, every time you bring something up, it's a great opportunity to dig into the books, as each exposure to them brings up something new. And now that you have all three, you'll find how much time that you'll actually spend in just PPST3 and BBRx, only opening the Blue Book when you want a refresh on your techniques. If you can, get hard copies of those two books. Mine are full of highlights, written notes, and sticky notes now.

BTW, I'm with you on the "lonely" aspect of the training. I started this journey in a commercial gym, surrounded by folks who wanted to give tips on training even as I surpassed them on the lifts. More than anything, I dreaded the time involved driving there and hoping for space on a rack, etc., so we planned on building a home gym. COVID hit, which delayed that, but now we have it and I can step right out into the garage (like I will in a few minutes) to lift. I like this loneliness. My wife lifts a little and knows the technique well enough that she can shout fixes (mostly during the squat) when I need it. But she hasn't dove deeply into the programming or anything. So these forums help immensely with that.

Don't let the tweak make you lose too much ground. I think that's covered in those early articles we posted when you tweaked last time. In other words, don't deload too much. You have made great gains.

Keep at it!

Week 12, day 3

BW 79,4kg

Squat: Bar only, high reps. (Starr Rehab Protocol)
    Press: Not able due to pain in my back
    Benchpress: 90kg/198lb x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: No weight- up to bar only (Starr Rehab Protocol)

So my back hurts after wednesday fuckup on the deadlift. I have learned a lot about warmups, and I am a bit wiser from this incident.
    I mentioned I tweaked my back, but I actually dont know what you guys are describing as "tweak", since I am Norwegian.
    The right term in my case, is a "pulled muscle". There is nothing wrong with my spine, but a muscle on my left side hurts like hell.
    No bruising, and it gets better everyday. Reading the Starr rehab protocol- and practicing the movements has helped a lot.

I hope the muscle heals quikly, I wanna lift again!

The press was switched with the bench, due to pain- so I will focus on rehab and the bench for some days now. Bench was super easy.

Deadlift hurts the most, only able to lift the bar.

Week 13, day 1

BW 79,2kg

Squat: Worked up to a set of 60kg x 10, felt good- almost no pain (Starr Rehab Protocol)
    Benchpress: 91kg/ 200lb x 5 x 3 (Bench over 200 lb!!!)
    Deadlift: Able to lift 30kg today

So the Starr Rehab Protocol is working, no doubt about that!
    The Squat is the easiest to manage, and the pain is almost gone after some sets. Should be able to load a lot more in som more days from now!

Benchpress was fun! I am now above 200lb for 5 reps, and it felt easy!! I need to focus on the good bits!!

Deadlift is better, but only able to lift 30kg from the ground. Still, thats better than nothing!

starting strength coach development program
    "Tweak". "Pulled muscle". Depends on who you talk to, they are used interchangeably.

Great work on keeping everything moving. And that bench!

Keep at it.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast