starting strength gym

Thread: A skinny runners journey....

Default A skinny runners journey....

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A brief background... formerly a competitive middle distance runner seeking a whole new venture in to the world of strength training. Have experience in lifting through S and C for running, but parameters and aspirations certainly different to what they are now. Missing the sense of focus and achievement running gave me outside of everyday life and have always had an interest in the world of strongman and powerlifting. I was introduced to the work of Mark and Starting Strength a few years back by an old friend, himself a former powerlifter. Needless to say, it is not something I could commit to or justify when running 60/70+ miles a week...

A couple of weeks in now, starting stats:

30 yrs old
    6"2
    75kg = 165lbs

Squat 70kg 3x5
    Bench 50kg 3x5
    Press 30kg 3x5
    Deadlift 90kg X5

Work shifts Inc nights, sleep not great and will be biggest factor on recovery. I cycle commute to work. Eating a lot in a bid to get some mass on, weight moves weight and all...

Today:
    Squat 80kg 176lbs 3x5
    Missed a rep last session, so happy with this.
    Bench 60kg 132lbs 3x5
    Felt solid
    Deadlift 110kg 242lbs
    Moved it, but not as fluidly as I'd have liked. Set took best part of a minute

I feel starting this log will a) help me adhere b) be great to reflect on as I progress. So let's see how it goes...!

Welcome. Good start. Have you read and are you following the nutrition guidelines esp. about daily protein intake?

Thanks Carson.

I'm struggling to find a copy of the SS book in the UK, so any research I've done is through this forum, which has been a great way of finding other people's experience who may have a similar starting point to me, and You Tube videos. Conclusion being... skinny guys with abs (ie me) are scared of getting fat. First week, scale didn't move, and I was adamant I was eating a lot. Rough calculation of 3500, though I didn't track. Taken the time to track last two days:

Saturday 4700kcal 210g protein
    Sunday 4500kcal 230g protein

1 litre (not a gallon!) of milk a day
    Animal protein source at every meal
    1x scoop whey a day
    Increased water intake

Aim to stick at the above for this week and see what happens. I do think the potential lack of food contributed to a missed rep on my squat last week.

Alex,

It looks like you are on the right track. I would not just give in one week. Perhaps a month will give you a better reading. I suggest you worry about abs when you reach the end of linear progression which lasts 4-6 months on average. Although it took me 8 months. (I'm old and slow).

You can find the starter book for SS on this website. They are shipped all over the world.

You may wish to get some online coaching which is also advertised on this website. My coach, Dr. Jonathon Sullivan at Greysteel strength and conditioning, does a good deal of online coaching. I believe there is at least one Starting Strength coach and gym in London.

Sorry if misinterpreted there Carson, I've no interest in abs, they are just a by product of being very lean! I'm probably trying to get ahead of myself ref the weight gain, I'm not on the scales religiously and nor have I any desire to be.

I think I've sourced a copy of SS, without running the risk of being hit with customs charges. Coaching is something I would consider, if I can cut costs on other areas of my life. Sport has always been a big priority in my life and this will be no different.

Wk2 Day 2 BW 76.6kg 169lbs

Squat 82.5kg 182lbs 3x5
    More of a mental, than physical grind, that 'one more rep'. Very happy, didn't want to bail on a rep like last week. Longer rest between sets (3:30 ish) felt needed.

Press 42.5kg 94lbs 3x5
    Solid. No microplates in gym, anticipating they'll soon be needed so will order 0.5kg's

Deadlift 115kg 253lbs X5
    First 3 felt good, 4 was a grind but got the bar up. Reset for the 5th, but I was losing grip on left hand, left side of body wanted to take the load, had to fight it and although I completed the rep, I'll go in next session at 115 again.

Overall a good session, increase in calories has definitely aided recovery, equally my body adapting to it I guess. Ref the deadlift. I use chalk, that definitely helps, but I've never tried alternate overhand/underhand grip. Is it something to consider? Next session Thursday in my usual gym, but Sunday I'll train at a powerlifting gym which I'm really looking forward to. Current set up works, but is very much a "bodybuilders gym" and environment.

The alternate grip allows one hand to counteract the tendency of the bar to twist. It really helps. There are a couple of possible problems. First, at the extremes it can cause some kinds of muscular problems. I've read about the possibilities and I think Rip has an article on it, but I know of no one who has actually had a problem. Second, the pronated hand can push the bar away from the ones leg. It's just something you must focus on when lifting by consciously pulling the bar against ones leg. Then there is the hook grip. Some people can use it to great advantage. It takes a bit of getting used to because it's a bit of wear on the thumbs but many people can keep hold of the grip better. I keep using it but find it's not as useful as the alternate grip for me. There is one other alternative which works well I'm told but I've never tried it. I think I will wait on that until I can lift over 400 lbs. (181 kg). I may make that by the end of this year...so might you. Straps can be helpful but you may wish to wait until you simply cannot lift the heaviest stuff without them.

BTW it is recommended that you hold off on the extreme levels of running until you have reached your novice limit in a few months. Hope this helps.

Your first main step is read the book (s). Get in touch with an SS coach. Be consistent in your regime. Never quit.

Thanks for the feedback on the grip, I'll play around with alternate grip in my ramp up sets next session. Reluctant to use straps until as you say, it gets seriously heavy.

Running has dropped off the scale, no real desire to. If I fancy lacing up the shoes I will, but being mindful of recovery. Providing I still meet my bleep test requirement for work...

In the process of getting hold of the books and I'll see what Sunday brings regarding coaching. Going to London isn't feasible, but good to know there are SS coaches in the UK.

starting strength coach development program
    Yesterday I split session in to two, as I had access to work gym, but time constraints restricted me to squat and bench. Late evening session at the gym.

Squat 85kg 187lbs 3x5
    Nothing to report, pleased with progress. No mirror meant I had to be more aware of feel and encouraged me to keep eyes, head, chest up.

Bench 65kg 143lbs 3x4
    Heavy!! No 1.25kg plates so I had to make a bigger jump than planned.

Deadlift 115kg 253lbs X5
    Alternate grip alleviated the issue I had last week. A sticking point at the top of the lift, a double at 105kg went up effortlessly so a little frustrating.

Weighed in at 76.9kg 169lbs this morning.