starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 45 y/o, first LP, sedentary, one bad knee, keto?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Week 9 Wednesday
    192.7 lbs 25.6% BF
    Diet: unrestricted

Summary:
    Squat 155x5x3: PASS (PR +5)
    Bench 160x5x3: PASS (PR +1)
    Deadlift 280x5x1: PASS

Detail:
    Pre-workout:
    - Clear-headed, Big breakfast. Sandwich for lunch.
    - Right knee: stiff, but OK.
    - Right hip: OK.
    - Right shoulder: mild soreness
    - NEW: Pain in right neck (SCM?) Whyyy

Squat: 155x5x3: PASS
    Warmup: 45x5, 55x5, 85x3, 115x1, 145x1
    - Empty bar revealed tightness in right inner thigh (sartorius? vastus medialis?)
    - Warrior 1 pose - stretch back leg
    - Last single favored the left leg. mild soreness in right groin
    Work sets: 155x5x3
    - Set 1: Probably too slow, but I'm trying to gently ease into full depth. I guess I can do this weight, but... wow. The squat has never been this much effort.
    - Set 2: We should talk about this set. Felt a "POP" in my lower neck coming up from rep 2. No pain, and it almost felt good, but it blew my concentration. Finished the rest of the set with conviction, but I think I'm leaning too far forward again. My hands are securing the bar, but at full depth, it's as if the bar is balanced on my back, and could roll either way (up the neck or down the back) if not secured. Rippetoe makes a big deal about staring at the floor - but maybe I need to pick a spot farther out. Gonna get a video camera for set 3. Mild heat at the site of the "pop" by now.
    - Set 3: Felt OK. Surprised myself by holding it for a while at the bottom of every rep. Took a video. Now let's watch it...
    Not as bad as I feared, actually. My depth looks great. I knew I was leaning too-far forward, and this video proves it in embarassing detail. Attaching pictures for shame's sake.

rep1_depth.jpg rep5_badlean.jpg
    rep 5 on the right, by far the worst rep, but it clearly demonstrates defects in form that are probably always present

Onward to 160... but I intend to spend more time with warmups, to make sure I don't lean forward again.

Bench: 160x5x3: PASS
    Warmup: 45x5, 65x3, 95x1, 125x1, 150x1
    - Easy-peasy. Lookin' forward to a new PR.
    Work sets: 160x5x3
    - Set 1: SUB-OPTIMAL! Unfocused. Unstable. Unbalanced. Weak. Right pec is stiff. Forgot to drive the legs until rep 5.
    - Set 2: Forgot leg drive on rep 1. Reps 3,4,5 needed more fire to complete. Right shoulder very stiff and sore (bicep tendon?). Googling suggests to move the bar lower-than-sternum.
    - Set 3: NEW 5x3 PR! Woo! This time I just changed my spot on the bench so unracking was easier, less transit over the face and neck. Made a huge difference. Rep 5 got stuck in the middle but I pushed through it.
    Ready for 161 I guess, but man that was a struggle. According to the "average 42 year old" progression in "Barbell Prescription", my bench is already advanced-novice, so I could reasonably expect to stop making gains soon, but I'd be disappointed if I couldn't bench-press my body weight after NLP.

Deadlift: 280x5x1: PASS (same 5RM from before the Hawaii vacation)
    Warmup: 45x5 (SLDL Neg), 105x5, 155x3, 205x1, 255x1
    - Reduced number of warmup sets. Knee feels good, leg feels strong (thanks, squats!). I'm pretty sure I can do this.
    Work sets: 280x5:
    - Set 1: Did it, more or less. Rep 1-3 felt fine. Loud grunty noises. Rep 4 was ambiguously sloppy. And rep 5 took my everything, it was asymmetrical, the form was ass, I'm not even sure if I stood all the way up. Probably wouldn't have passed a competition.
    Watching the tape on replay... not bad! Back seems straight, shoulders reasonably far back. But there is wobble in the knees and I don't lock out at the top.

July21-DL.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm ready for 285. My Deadlift is so far ahead of my squat, I feel like I'm supposed to "catch up" some more, maybe I'll just hold the weight at 280 for next time. TBD.

Week 9 Friday:
    Squat 160
    Press 95
    Chins (>16)
    Last edited by wdkaye; 07-14-2021 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Picture placement

Re: the lean - I had "good morning squats" too for a long time. In your case (and I'm no coach), I can see that your knees are sliding forward late because you're trying too hard for a vertical back angle, and you look like your balance is forward of midfoot, so you're forced into knee slide to keep balance. (You can also see your back angle getting more vertical at the end, which is probably a good thing in this case.)

Two things fixed my squats, and might help you. First, at the start of the squat, I focused on getting my knees forward quickly. This cleared room for my hips to descend (which is why you need knee slide right now). Second, I really focused on keeping my center of weight at midfoot. In my case, I had to re-learn the perception of balance, as heel-dominant balance actually felt like midfoot to me. But, if you (a) get the knees in position much earlier, (b) keep the back set rigid (which it looks like you're already doing), and (c) keep weight balanced midfoot, then you have no choice but to have your hips in the right position and, by extension, your back at the right angle. It's a fully constrained problem at that point.

My $0.02.
    Last edited by David Hooper; 07-15-2021 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Fixed error.

Week 9 Friday
    193.7 lbs, 27.1% BF

Summary:
    - Squat 160: PASS (PR +5)
    - Press 95: PASS (PR)
    - Chins: 13 REAL chin-ups across 4 sets

Detail:

Pre-workout:
    - Late breakfast / heavy carb-load at IHOP
    - No-work Friday = Early afternoon workout instead of late afternoon. No rush.

Body:
    - Right knee: stiff
    - Right hip: OK
    - Right shoulder: stiff

Squat: 160x5x3: PASS
    Warmup: 45x5, 65x5, 95x3, 125x1, 150x1
    - Placed bar lower on back and "hunched" head forward more.
    - 65 rep 5 I noticed a forward lean on ascent, so I tried a rep 6. Got dangerously stuck and had to cheat (lean left) to get up. On a warmup?!
    - The rest was better, but still pain/tightness in right knee.
    Work sets:
    - Set 1: Heavier. Stronger. First set is the worst.
    - Set 2: Went too low on rep 5, got stuck, felt burn in lower spine on ascent. Didn't think I rounded the back but I wasn't aware of anything tbh.
    - Set 3: Long rest. 1 was easy. Stayed too low at the bottom of 4 and made it to the top wheezing. Did 5 with low back pain persisting.
    Yay me, My squat is now equal to my bench. I'm on my way to compensating for the decades of missed leg days.
    The lower bar position was a huge help, I'm not leaning forward as much on the ascent, but ow, my wrists! Not sure if this means I have a mobility problem.
    I'm gasping for about 2-4 breaths between each rep. Not sure if this is too much of a wait.

That took a lot out of me. I'm going to wait a bit before the standing press.

Press: 95x5x3: PASS
    Warmup: 45x5, 60x5, 75x3, 90x1
    - Good. Pulling shoulder-blades back gives the shoulder more support.
    Work sets:
    - Set 1: Good set. Slight stuck spot in middle of rep 4. Extra swayback on rep 5. Need to keep gaze even.
    - Set 2: VERY EASY!!?! As soon as I unracked it, it felt very light in my hands.
    - Set 3: 5-rep PR. Did a rep-6 but with too much swayback honestly. Bar path on rep 2 & 3 was not a straight line, irregularity/weakness in left arm.
    I first attepmted 95x5 on week 4, 5 weeks ago, couldn't hit it, had to decrease the increment several times. So this is a triumph. Hard to imagine I'll be ready for 97 next Wednesday but I won't stop believin' (hold on to that feelin').

Chin-ups: (was 5, 4, 3, 3, 1)
    - is: 4, 4, 3, 2+,
    Well, I decided to pick up my feet this time, ahead of schedule. Longer arm extension, therefore more effort required, therefore less pull-ups per set.

Next workouts:
    Saturday: HIIT
    Week 10 Monday:
    Squat 165
    Bench 161
    Deadlift 235x5x2
    Last edited by wdkaye; 07-16-2021 at 05:30 PM.

Week 10 Monday
    194.9 lbs, 27.1% BF
    Diet: Unrestricted

Summary:
    Squat 165x5x3: PASS (PR +5)
    Bench 161x5x3: PASS (PR +1)
    Deadlift 230x5x2: PASS

Detail:

I had my blood drawn on Friday. Result: "borderline high cholestrerol". Thanks, keto. So I'll be reducing saturated fat. Swapping out whole milk for lowfat milk. Adding more heatlhy fats. Daily avocado?

In spite of the title of my log, I'm steering clear of keto now, at least for the next 4 months. At first I didn't see the need to get strong as fast as possible, I was prepared for more gradual gains. But I'm 45, my testosterone will never be higher than it is now, the clock is ticking, might as well go all in on strength and just bulk up. To heck with abs, I'm not planning any more beach trips this summer.

Missed HIIT class on Saturday, went Sunday instead. Every exercise seemed to target the shoulder (plank variations, bosu push-ups, kettlebell swings). My already-sore right shoulder felt awful last night but is mostly better today. I ate protein, iced, and rested, but there's a fair chance my shoulders are now overtrained and that this heavy press will be unsuccessful. Let's find out.

Stress level is high - work deadlines.
    Depression level low but rising - stood up for a first date tonight.

Pre-workout:
    - Right knee: Not bad.
    - Right hip: OK after warm-up.
    - Right shoulder: Mild soreness all around. Tendon pain not too bad.
    - Neck: Tense. Stress-related. Trying to relax it along with jaw.

Squat: 165x5x3: PASS
    Warmup: 45x5, 65x5, 95x3, 125x1, 155x1
    Work sets:
    - Set 1: Rep 3 = HUGE struggle. Finished set.
    - Set 2: Less of a struggle, form is worse. Favoring left leg.
    - Set 3: Powered through, no self-monitoring.
    Notes:
    - Ordered a pizza, which arrived in the middle of warmups. Brilliant, Einstein.
    - This weight didn't trick out my pulse like before. (b/c of HIIT on Sunday?)
    - Legs felt fine with this. Most stress in trunk muscles.
    - First time being forced to squat with 45s. I thought I'd feel badass, but really all I cared about was standing up, lol

3 slices of pizza later... I've decided to postpone the bench and DL. Hopefully I didn't just torpedo my gains.

Bench: 161x5x3: PASS
    Warmup: 45x5, 66x5, 96x3, 126x1, 151x1
    - Focused on pulling shoulders all the way back before unrack. Very effective.
    Work sets:
    - Set 1: Felt really good.
    - Set 2: Depression came as the sun set. This required more fire.
    - Set 3: Easy. Still had fire after 5 but no spotter. Very mild right shoulder burn.
    I'll take the PR +1, but am starting to regret settling for 1 pound increments. My shoulder needed it, but, them gainz

Moody. Don't wanna deadlift.

Deadlift: 230x5x2: PASS
    Warmup: 45x5 (SLDL Neg), 95x5, 135x3, 175x3, 215x1
    - Dropping butt and using legs more. It's more difficult and slower, but it feels stronger somehow.
    - The moodiness is kicking my ass.
    Work sets:
    - Set 1: Fuck form. Just do it. Just did it.
    - Set 2: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, and done.

Week 10 Wednesday:
    Squat 170
    Press 97
    Chins
    Last edited by wdkaye; 07-19-2021 at 10:52 PM.

Week 10 Wednesday
    194.0 lbs, 26.5% BF

Summary:
    - Squat 170: PASS (PR+5)
    - Press 97: PASS (PR+2)
    - Chins: 14+ FLAKED

Detail:

Context:
    I've been waking up sore-all-over over the last two days. DOMS from Sunday HIIT probably, possible dehydration due to no water during Monday's workout. Drank a surpising amount of water through Tuesday. Obliques are expecially sore/toned, and this is unusual for me.

Dietary discipline is faltering. More junk food lately. I'm concerned that I'm not eating enough protein. I have 2-3 shakes per day but I'm not really tracking food intake.

Body:
    - Right knee: OK
    - Right shoulder: sore, but no acute pain
    - Neck: sore

Squat: 170x5x3
    Warmup: 45x5, 70x5, 100x3, 130x3, 160x1
    - Wider grip. Feels good. Some back and right-knee pain on last single.
    Work sets:
    - Set 1: Lost control going down on rep 3. Leaned too far forward for 4 and 5.
    - Set 2: Uncomfortable. Pain in neck and lower back.
    - Set 3: Difficult. No stuck spots b/c of cheating (forward lean, maybe back-rounding).
    This was the first time that the squat felt like a leg press - feet really pushing into the floor. I think my body is finally getting used to this exercise as I'm able to stop obsessing about form.
    Being very hydrated helps. I feel quite strong today.
    But things changed on set 2. I think I "cooled off" accidentally.
    My lower back took most of the burn from that. No burn whatsoever in glutes.

Press: 97x5x3
    Warmup: 45x5, 62x5, 77x3, 92x1
    Work sets:
    - Set 1: Felt rep 5 in my spine.
    - Set 2: Stuck in middle of rep 5.
    - Set 3: x6. This was another mysterious set in which the bar seemed lighter than before.
    I might be cheating by moving bar backwards (overhead) from vertical line. Bar path is sawtooth.

Chin-ups: Flaked on this exercise today. Just can't deal

Friday:
    Squat 175
    Bench 162
    Deadlift 285

Week 10 Friday:
    196.8, 26.4% BF
    Diet: Unrestricted

Summary:
    Squat 175x5x3: PASS (PR+5)
    Bench 162x5x3: PASS (PR+1)
    Deadlift 285x5x1: PASS (PR)

Detail:

Context:
    - Dealing with significant agitation and brain fog lately. Wondering if larger diet is to blame. Body feels great, legs feel huge

Pre-workout:
    - Right knee: OK
    - Right hip: some discomfort
    - Right shoulder: OK

Squat 175x5x3
    Warmup: 45x5, 75x5, 105x3, 135x1, 165x1 (8.75-17.5 / 26.25-35)
    - Really good warmup. Single @ 165 was perfection.
    Work sets:
    - Set 1: GREAT.
    - Set 2: Slight form fails, out of breath now.
    - Set 3: *** Distastrous re-rack after rep 5. Right side missed bar holder, stuck under. Strain on wrists. Cramping in calves. Will affect bench press.
    Notes:
    Never had a squat work set as good as set 1. Totally coordinated, controlled, no knee pain.
    Still feeling burn in lower back mostly. Felt it in my legs for set 1, but as I got more tired the load shifted. Probably cheating with "good morning" squats.
    Taking a moment to recover.

Bench 162x5x3
    Warmup: 45x5, 67x5, 97x3, 127x1, 152x1
    - Right shoulder becoming sore. Forgot to stretch.
    Work sets:
    - Set 1: OK
    - Set 2: 5 was a struggle. Hamstrings cramping. Need more water.
    - Set 3: Great squeeze on rep 4 & 5.
    Notes:
    - Perfect way to end a set. Almost total exhaustion. Rep 6 would've been failure.

Deadlift: 285x5x1:
    Warmup: 45x5 (SLDL Neg), 105x5, 155x3, 205x1, 260x1
    - These felt good. Carrying plates to/from the bar aggravates right shoulder.
    Work sets:
    - Set 1: Stood in front of the bar for 2 minutes visualizing success. Reps 1 and 2 were great. Rep 5 was SHIIIIT. Couldn't lower with control afterward, caught bar on thighs and kind of rolled down. Totally silent, no bizarre grunting, except for final drop: very loud exclamation which spooked the neighbors.
    So happy to have a x5 on this weight after failing 4 weeks ago. Catching up on my squat made a huge difference, I have more leg support (lol, imagine that).

Saturday: HIIT

Monday:
    Squat 180
    Press 99
    Chins

Week 11 Monday
    194.8 lbs, 26.9% BF
    Diet: unrestricted (but I had like 5 protein shakes today)
    (out of creatine)

Summary:
    - Squat 180x5x3: PASS (PR+5)
    - Press 99x5x3: PASS (PR+2)
    - Chins: 13 over 4 sets

Diary:

First day back at the office in 16 months! I should be happier, but unfortunately have been ruminating on some anger that we won't specify here.Walked around campus about 4x more than an average day at home. Knee is tight. Came home, crashed on couch, almost lost fire for workout. Had protein shake, felt better. Shoulders are sore. Left one starting to feel it, probably Saturday HIIT. Worried about delta variant. My friendly neighbor is a Jehova's witness. Worried about him and the elders in my family.

Squat 180x5x3:
    Warmup: 45x5, 80x5, 110x3, 140x3, 170x1
    - focused on keeping back more vertical and loading the quads more. Felt fine up to a point.
    - Stuck too low on 140#1. right kneecap is grinding. need more water.
    Work sets:
    - Set 1: HEAVY. Bar doesn't feel good on shoulders/back. Form sucks. Did I break for too long after warmups?
    - Set 2 (first attempt): LOL. I went down with perfect form, proud, back ambitiously vertical, but got stuck in the ATG position. Couldn't stand up, pitched forward, fell to ground and let the rails catch the bar. This could be considered a "miss" but I decided to pretend it never happened.
    - Set 2: Focusing on avoiding "good morning" squats puts major burn in mid-back.
    - Set 3: BUUURN in cleft of love handle muscles (external obliques?). Almost a cramp. Here's hoping this leads to a sexy tapered back in a year or two, lol.

Press: 99x5x3:
    Warmup: 45x5, 64x5, 79x3, 94x1
    Work sets:
    - Set 1: Strong.
    - Set 2: Stuck in the middle of 5... Focus on success. Left wrist, thumb side hurting from strain.
    - Set 3: Faster, more left wrist strain

Chin-ups: (was 4,4,3,2)
    - is: 4, 3, 3, 3

Week 11 Wednesday:
    Squat 185
    Bench 163
    Deadlift 235x5x2

Week 11 Wednesday:
    193.8, 26.5% BF
    Waist: 39" (navel)
    Diet: "Lazy bracketed carbs"
    Still no creatine

Summary:
    Squat* 185x5x3: PASS (PR+5)
    Bench 163x5x3: PASS (PR+1)
    Lite DL 235x5x2: PASS
    *I'm noticing occasional "popping" in my spine between my shoulderblades now, with the bar this heavy. Is this normal, or am I about to injure myself?

Detail:

Body:
    - Right knee: tight
    - Right shoulder: sore

Squat 185x5x3:
    Warmup: 45x5, 85x5, 115x3, 145x3, 175x1
    - briefly stuck on 85#4 trying to make back vertical
    Work sets:
    - Set 1: Pops in back between shoulder-blades on #4. Effort all over, not localized
    - Set 2: OK. More pops on #2. Still got gas.
    - Set 3: Pops on #1. Curved by lower back too much on #3. I feel kinda sick.

Bench 163x5x3:
    Warmup: 45x5, 68x5, 98x3, 128x1, 153x1
    - Right shoulder soreness persists. Feels like it's in my pec today.
    Work sets:
    - Set 1: Significant squeeze/effort for all reps.
    - Set 2: Stopped thinking about form and did 5.
    - Set 3: Good struggle on 5. Thought I might have more fire for 7 but nope.

Deadlift 235x5x2:
    Warmup: 45x5 (SLDL Neg), 95x5, 135x3, 175x1, 215x1
    - Too easy?
    Work sets:
    - Set 1: felt great. not dropping the butt
    - Set 2: felt good. I could probably jump to 245...

Friday:
    Squat 190
    Press 101
    Chins

Week 11 Friday
    (forgot to weigh this morning)
    No creatine for 1 wk

Summary:
    - Squat* 190: PASS (PR+5)
    - Press** 101: FAIL
    - Chins: 13
    * Corrected thumb grip but quads are weak
    ** Diet change, no creatine, depression, and age conspired to make me MISS the press

Diary:

My band unanimously decided to fire our guitar player of 6 years. I'm a little bit emotional, reflecting on relationships and breakups. Not sure if I have enough fire.

Body: Patellar tendon sore at top of shin, tight in right pec

Squat 190x5x3:
    Warmup: 45x5, 60x5, 90x3, 120x3, 150x1, 180x1
    - not the greatest warmup. Lots of asymmetry. No back pops, rhomboids are tight.
    - I was today years old when I learned that the thumbs are supposed to be on top of the bar, not gripping it. Shit.
    Work sets:
    - Set 1: Bad form, leaning forward too much.
    - Set 2: Bad form, leaning forward too much.
    - Set 3: Knees on top of toes, better form. Still feels dirty.
    All the burn is in my back again. This whole LP I went to great lengths to avoid loading the quads and I think I'm paying for it now. I feel like I should reset 10% and load the quads more. Need to read the Programming book first.

Press 101x5x3:
    Warmup: 45x5, 51x5, 71x3, 91x1
    - less warm-up sets
    Work sets:
    - Set 1: MISS! halfway up on #5 then down.
    - Set 2: Got it. Angrier this time, weird.
    - Set 3: MISS! Grind through #4.
    I'll try 101 again on Wednesday but I guess I have to do 1 lb increments now. Darn.

Chin-ups: (was 4,3,3,3)
    - is: 4+,3+,3,3

Saturday: HIIT (last one b/c of Delta?)

Monday:
    Squat 195?
    Bench 164
    Deadlift 290

starting strength coach development program
    Week 12 Tuesday:
    194.1 lbs, 26.0% BF
    Waist: ??
    Diet: Unregulated

Summary:
    Squat 195x5x3: PASS (PR+5)
    Bench 164x5x3: PASS (PR+1)
    Deadlift 290x5x1: PASS (PR+5)
    Overall a really great session, beyond my low expectations. New PRs on all the 3 lifts without too much struggle.

Detail:

Diary:
    - Wasn't feeling great on Monday. Leftover muscle fatigue from Saturday HIIT, irregular sleep, big lunch. Postponed workout to Tuesday.
    - Mental state on Tuesday is much better. Physically I feel fine.

Body:
    - Right knee: tight & painful

Squat 195x5x3:
    Warmup: 45x5, 65x5, 95x3, 125x3, 155x1, 185x1
    - Pretty good warmup, knee pain gradually eased. Learning to put my hands on the bar then slloowwwly get under it. Can't get under it first b/c of shoulder flexibility.
    Work sets:
    - Set 1: Better than expected. Form and depth feel OK. Some grit required. Out of breath now.
    - Set 2: Form slipping on #5. Needed more grit. Forearms hurt along thumb-side.
    - Set 3: Seemed easy but I feel a little sick now. I think I rounded my back for the whole thing.
    I was dreading this set because of how awful Friday's squat was, but the extra light squats in HIIT class and the extra rest seems to have paid off.

Bench 164x5x3:
    Warmup: 45x5, 69x5, 99x3, 129x1, 154x1
    - Right shoulder feels stronger than usual, but slight tightness/pain after last single. My right/arm shoulder rotated inward (!?) during lockout
    Work sets:
    - Set 1: Forgot to breathe, #1-3
    - Set 2: Solid.
    - Set 3: Solid x6.

Deadlift 290x5x1:
    Warmup: 45x10 (SLDL Neg), 110x5, 160x3, 210x1, 265x1
    - Back is sore / cramping?
    Work sets:
    - Set 1: Nailed it. Ooh, lil' bit o' vomit

Thursday/Friday:
    Squat 200
    Press 101 (2nd attempt)