Squat: 265x5x3; 5 minute rest
    Press: 125x5x3; 4 minute rest
    Back Ext: BW+10x10x3
    Chins: 10, 10, 10

W12D2 of NLP version 2.0 - Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Light Squat: 220x5x2; 3 minute rest
    Bench: 185x5x3; 4 minute rest
    Deadlift: 295x5x1; 5 minute rest

I've decided to wrap up this NLP. My desire to consume the calories needed to properly recover is in direct conflict with my inability to absorb nutrients, resulting in symptoms that are really unpleasant. I've learned a lot since starting this journey in late June, and I look forward to applying what I've learned to my next LP sometime in 2022, once all these issues are cleared up. I'll continue to lurk in the forums to see how everyone is progressing in their own journeys. Stay strong and stay healthy!

Sorry to hear! It is, however, about becoming the most useful and capable version of yourself. I'll be watching out for your return to new levels of strength!

Quote Originally Posted by rkjohns1 View Post
    I've decided to wrap up this NLP. My desire to consume the calories needed to properly recover is in direct conflict with my inability to absorb nutrients, resulting in symptoms that are really unpleasant. I've learned a lot since starting this journey in late June, and I look forward to applying what I've learned to my next LP sometime in 2022, once all these issues are cleared up. I'll continue to lurk in the forums to see how everyone is progressing in their own journeys. Stay strong and stay healthy!
    Sorry to hear that, Ryan, but it's understandable considering your situation and the unknowns right now.

Whatever you do, don't give it up completely. Although it's not widely acknowledged or accepted around these parts, you can maintain a lot of what strength you have that works with your recovery and other issues. That's better for you overall, especially at this stage in life. The way you go about it is instead of worrying about volume, focus on intensity.

The way you can go about that is continue to add 2.5-5lbs to your lift for one set, then back-offs. If that's too much, one set of intensity with no back-offs. If that's too much, reset 5% for that one set as well as any back-offs. Sure, you'll slide slowly backwards, but nowhere near as fast as if you stop completely.

Perhaps most importantly in this situation is that you are addressing your mental health, too. You're still putting some work in within the constraints of your issues and trying to limit the pace of any detraining that will happen. By doing so, you won't spend any time mulling over the "what if's" while still being stronger than the vast majority of 47 year olds. A lot stronger.

Rip posted an article a couple of months before you started this journey about Maintenance. While his focus on maintenance may be different than what you are experiencing right now, the concepts are the same. You are dealing with a persistent "injury" that is negatively impacting your ability to recover.

I come from a place where I halt training 1-2x each year for extended periods due to personal choices, not injury. But I can tell you that once I started maintaining during those "off seasons," this middle-aged body is better for it and the restart of NLP is much stronger each and every time.

Regardless, keep lurking and commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
    Sorry to hear! It is, however, about becoming the most useful and capable version of yourself. I'll be watching out for your return to new levels of strength!
    Thanks Hooper! I'm confident with the consultations I have in the near future, I'll be well on my way to full recovery in early 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Sorry to hear that, Ryan, but it's understandable considering your situation and the unknowns right now.

Whatever you do, don't give it up completely. Although it's not widely acknowledged or accepted around these parts, you can maintain a lot of what strength you have that works with your recovery and other issues. That's better for you overall, especially at this stage in life. The way you go about it is instead of worrying about volume, focus on intensity.

The way you can go about that is continue to add 2.5-5lbs to your lift for one set, then back-offs. If that's too much, one set of intensity with no back-offs. If that's too much, reset 5% for that one set as well as any back-offs. Sure, you'll slide slowly backwards, but nowhere near as fast as if you stop completely.

Perhaps most importantly in this situation is that you are addressing your mental health, too. You're still putting some work in within the constraints of your issues and trying to limit the pace of any detraining that will happen. By doing so, you won't spend any time mulling over the "what if's" while still being stronger than the vast majority of 47 year olds. A lot stronger.

Rip posted an article a couple of months before you started this journey about Maintenance. While his focus on maintenance may be different than what you are experiencing right now, the concepts are the same. You are dealing with a persistent "injury" that is negatively impacting your ability to recover.

I come from a place where I halt training 1-2x each year for extended periods due to personal choices, not injury. But I can tell you that once I started maintaining during those "off seasons," this middle-aged body is better for it and the restart of NLP is much stronger each and every time.

Regardless, keep lurking and commenting.
    Thanks Bill! It's funny, almost as soon as I posted my last entry, I started thinking about what I could do to maintain what I've gained. A couple of years ago I ran the 5-3-1 program for the bench and press (squat/deadlift maxed out at 180/215 respectively due to knee pain, i.e. poor form), and I was surprised while running this NLP how a fair amount of that upper body strength remained. I became determined to figure out a plan this past weekend to keep training.

What I've decided to do is run the Greysteel Texas Method described in BBRx. While I'm sure it was designed originally for folks quite a bit older than me, it appears to be a program I can handle given my current condition. The volume-recovery-intensity cycle is run over 7 days (Monday-Friday-Monday) rather than 5 (Monday-Wednesday-Friday) allowing for more recovery time. My first intensity day will be about 90-95% of my last NLP lifts, with increases limited to 2.5lbs. I'll be starting a new log over in the intermediate section.

I couldn't agree more with your comment on the mental health aspect of training.

Thank you very much for your input and support, it is extremely helpful!

Sounds like I'll be seeing you on the dark side too!

If GTM makes more progress for you than NLP, then it's the right program for you. NLP exists to be used until it can't be used, for whatever reason that may be. It doesn't sound like you're ditching it out of boredom or because sumdood is posting Instagram videos of his new program that will leave you totally shredded.

I'll be watching and learning.

Hey, Ryan

I'm glad to see you are going to continue training. Keep going mate!

Adam

starting strength coach development program
    W1D1 NLP V3.0 - Friday, April 1, 2022

Squat @ 5'
    45x5x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    245x1
    260x5x3

Press @ 3'
    45x5
    65x5
    95x3
    115x1
    122.5x5x3

Deadlift @ 5'
    135x5
    185x3
    225x1
    275x1
    305x5

Reverting back to NLP after several months running the GTM. GTM was nice as it provided ample time to recover between workouts, which is what I needed while rebounding from a malabsorption issue. My weight increases were minimal, so I'm basically back to where I was when I discontinued my NLP back in November. I want to see what I can achieve in the next 2 months before transitioning to summertime activities (surfing more than 1x a week, vacationing, perhaps a road race or two) and taking a few months off from strength training.
    Last edited by rkjohns1; 04-05-2022 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Added link to my GTM thread.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast