starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 59 Year Old Male Training Log - Texas Method

Default 59 Year Old Male Training Log - Texas Method

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    See my 1st log here, 58 Year Old Male Training Log, which I started in Feb of ’21. I felt it would be best since I am no longer 58 and am making a change in my program, that I should start a new thread.

In 2021 my coach put me on a 4 day split program and this carried me through 2021 and into 2022. I am not dissatisfied with the results (see below), but I feel a change might be beneficial, if for no other reason than to mix things up.

Bench saw a PR of 250
    Press saw a PR of 170
    Unfortunately repeated hamstring injury and recovery has hampered gains on the Squat and DL, but even so there has been improvement over where I started and the right leg is so far continuing to improve in its ability to withstand stress.

But in reading the “Barbell Prescription”, I found the Texas Method 5A to sound very intriguing and worth an effort. In this program, Power Cleans are required and this will be my 1st attempt at these. They look very difficult but I am eager to make the attempt. Also, this program calls for Chins, which I cannot do at this time. So my chins will be assisted for some time using bands
    As I age and the weight on the bar increases, I am finding recovery to be my biggest challenge. It is with this in mind that I find these words from the book to be encouraging:
    “Program 5A presents the standard Texas Method template. We emphasize that the structure represented in 5A is not fixed or universal, but rather serves as a highly flexible model that can be modified and tailored to serve the needs of virtually any intermediate athlete under the age of 60.”

Well, I am still under 60 so will give it a shot.

I will begin the Texas Method on Monday April 4 and will attempt to work this program as outlined in the book without any major modification. At this point I will try it with 5x5s knowing as outlined in the book, this is a template.
    Last edited by William MG; 04-01-2022 at 11:10 AM.

Happy belated birthday, William!

Learning a new lift is fun. I just got started on front squats and while it is excruciatingly hard, I enjoy the challenge.

Good luck with the new programming and the new lift, Bill! I'm just a few years behind you and the clean is one of my favorite lifts, even using them as a warmup for my heavy pulls.

Thanks Tiny, thanks Bill

Apr 3 2022 - Volume Day

Came in on Sunday to start a day early. Goal right now is to move into this very slowly. Have moved my squat to an IPF competition type squat from the Low Bar taught in SS.

Squat: 155lbs - 5r x 5s
    Bench: 165lbs - 5r x 5s
    DL: 235lbs - 3r x 1s

I will have to judge how this goes, I did 320 on the DL on Friday and this may be too short a recovery period as the right leg hurt the entire time. I won't make any changes just yet.
    Last edited by William MG; 04-07-2022 at 11:26 AM.

Apr 5 2022 - Recovery Day

Squat: 135lbs - 5r x 2s
    Press: 105lbs - 5r x 3s
    Chins: 3 reps assisted with Corefx green band (65-175lbs of assist). I may try the Corefx blue band (85-230lbs) next time as even with the assist my chins are not complete range of motion.
    Last edited by William MG; 04-07-2022 at 11:26 AM.

Apr 7 2022 - Intensity Day

Hi Bar Squat: Heavy Singles
    195lbs - 205 - 225 - 235 - 250

Bench Press: - Heavy Singles - unassisted
    205lbs - 225 - 245 - 250 - 257.5

Power Clean:
    65lbs - 5r x 3sets

257.5lbs is a new PR on the Bench.

I am pretty sure the way the program is laid out in the book 'The Barbell Prescription" the Squat and Bench are to be 1 set of 5, but I felt that would be too hard, so will go with singles with rest periods in between reps. Even though I took it easy coming into this program I can feel the impact of the increased volume. General soreness overall.
    Last edited by William MG; 04-07-2022 at 11:34 AM.

Congrats on the bench PR!

Thanks Tiny! I think I will not use the Slingshot assist for a while and see how things go.

starting strength coach development program
    Apr 10 2022 - Volume Day

Squat: 175lbs - 5r x 5s
    Press: 120lbs - 5r x 5s
    Chins: 3 sets using both Orange and Blue bands.

Chins are not part of the normal schedule for Volume Day, but I am, for this week at least, switching the DL for Chins. Moving the DL for this week to Tuesday, which is a lighter Squat day, should assist my right leg. Which isn't real bad today, but I feel safer making the switch.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast