starting strength gym
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 58 Year Old Male Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Bill,

Do you know what exactly is going on with your joints? I hope that your new routine is going to help.

Fingers crossed
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Hey Bill,

Do you know what exactly is going on with your joints? I hope that your new routine is going to help.

Fingers crossed
    Adam
    Thanks Adam.

The issue with my shoulders seems to be impingement. When I worked with JD Shipley we tried lots of stuff to try and avoid it, but its tricky. A typical movement is the lift begins (Press), 1/2 way up one of my shoulders is likely to feel a pinch, I pause wait for the pain to subside, finish the push. It doesn't always happen, but it does the majority of the time. This year has seen lots of stress added to the shoulders and they have been feeling really sore. From the top of the bone to the center area of the shoulder. So far this week seems to have broken things up and they are feeling better. I should also mention that much of my shoulder issues may be caused by arthritis which I have in my neck. I may suffer a strength penalty next week but I think so far it has been a good experiment. Aside from that, I just feel generally tight all over. Could be weight training, likely age and lack of activity. To put things in perspective I grew up playing hockey, we played ice hockey in winter and ball hockey in summer. I could always move well and even played a game in net when I was 43 and I could still move well. I could not do that at all now.

Bill

Jan 5 2021

Press:
    55lbs - 3s x 12r

Bench:
    90lbs - 3s x 12r

Squat - SSB:
    100lbs - 3s x 12r

DL:
    145lbs - 1s x 6r

Hey Bill,

Were you considering what is going on exactly there? Generally all those joint problems are really hard to fix. I hope that using lighter weights is going to let your joints rest so that inflammation and swelling goes away. Ibuprofen gel for reasonable time seems to help as well. You could also consider seeing a doctor. If he is going to help, that's great. Otherwise, you will at least exactly know what is going on.

Best luck
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Hey Bill,

Were you considering what is going on exactly there? Generally all those joint problems are really hard to fix. I hope that using lighter weights is going to let your joints rest so that inflammation and swelling goes away. Ibuprofen gel for reasonable time seems to help as well. You could also consider seeing a doctor. If he is going to help, that's great. Otherwise, you will at least exactly know what is going on.

Best luck
    Adam
    Hi Adam,

Appreciate the input. The doc has prescribed meloxicam 7.5mg for the arthritis and it helps but it comes at a price. It usually sits in the cabinet. It's like oxycontin. I was prescribed that when I was discharged from the hospital after cutting my big toe off (I was splitting wood and in a hurry). The prescription was for 40 tabs and I only took 6. Some stuff you don't want to mess with unless you are desperate.

This experiment does seem to be helping. I think it is good to take stress off from time to time which I haven't done in '21. The impingement - who knows. Sometimes you just have to live with things and find workarounds.

Jan 7 2022

Press:
    55lbs - 3s x 12r

Bench:
    90lbs - 3s x 12r

Squat - SSB:
    100lbs - 3s x 12r

DL:
    155lbs - 1s x 6

Hi Bill,

Got it. I wish you would find the solution.

Thanks
    Adam

Jan 10 2021

Squat - SSB
    215lbs - 3s x 5r

Rack Pull
    305lbs - 1s x 3r

Jan 11 2022

Bench
    205lbs – 5s x 3r

Press – Heavy Singles
    158lbsFail – 158Fail – 145 – 150 – 150 – 155Fail – 150Fail – 145 – 145

I expected to be weaker this week and I am. By my tonnage I estimate about 7% down on the press and 3% on the bench. My eating has been off since New Years and this may play a part in it. Too much food between Christmas and New Years and not enough afterwards.

Jan 13 2021

Squat:
    235lbs - 3s x 5r

Deadlift/RackPull:
    Not done

Jan 14 2022

Bench - Heavy Singles - Assisted**

245lbs - 5 singles with rest between.
    This is actually ok with me, even though I am down from the 265 I posted Dec 31. I am having what I can only describe as a "bad back day". I had some lower back complaints on Tuesday and this may have had something to do with heavy singles on the press, but I put the heating pad on it Tuesday night and thought nothing of it. It was bothersome yesterday but not so bad that I couldn't do what I had to do including shovelling the drive way of about 3" of light powdery snow. This morning it woke with a stiffness that said "stop moving".

When I laid on the bench my feet did not want to touch the floor. I was able to get my toes down without too much pain and this is how I did the bench. It would be an inaccuracy to say there was no leg drive, but basically there was no leg drive. So for that reason I am ok with the 245.

Press:
    135lbs x 3 - 135 x 3 - 135 x 9 singles.
    Even with my belt tight as I could make it these weren't nice. And to be fair I didn't have the strength to do 3 sets of 5, which is what I should have done. So after the 1st two sets of 3 I chose to break them into 9 singles so I would not have to back off the weight.

**Slingshot assisted

starting strength coach development program
    Jan 15 2022

Squat
    250lbs - 4s x 3r

This was not a program day but my hamstrings were feeling pretty good after last week's workouts and I wanted to do a test to see if I could get past the 235 mark without injury. Still have some lower back tenderness from earlier in the week, but very glad I did my workout yesterday because I think that helped get things worked out. Anyway...

In March of '21 my left hamstring was injured and I had to back the weight off significantly and add extreme volume to assist healing. It took 12 weeks for the injury to heal and get back to my 235 number. Then my right hamstring went and I started over again. The right hamstring has been injured twice in '21. It seemed as soon as I reached the 235lbs mark the hamstring injury would re-occur.

But this week things are feeling pretty good. So today, Saturday, I came in just to do a test. I normally do 3sets of 5reps but I was not going to do that. Instead I opted to attempt 5sets of 3 reps. It was only on the 3rd set that I started to feel the right hamstring start to complain again. I took an 8 minute break, did the 4th and felt after that was done I had better call it a day.

So no 5th set but pretty pleased that both legs took 250lbs for 4 sets and they still feel ok. For my programming next week, I will probably just do SSB squats to keep strain off the posterior and then begin incorporating the lowbar the following week.

Here are the sets:
    Jan 15 2022 Squat 250lbs - YouTube

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast