Thread: darktater's NLP log

Default darktater's NLP log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just started the program today

Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 235
    History: I haven't worked out really in about 15+ years, work a sedentary job, and have been feeling my age. I have been playing disc golf occasionally, so not a total couch potato.

I'm currently reading the Barbell prescription, which I started with due to age. I'll be reading the Blue book next. I have been watching SS Videos, and reading articles and the forum posts. I go to the gym with my 15yo grandson, so it is usually an adventure. We joined last weekend, but just started the NLP today.

02/27/2022 (sets were a bit off kilter since we were figuring out starting weights, Tuesday will be sets by the program - from the app)
    only showing working sets here, since warm ups were discovery
    Squat: 95# 5x3 (Inner thighs were really barking)
    Press: 75# 5x3 (first time doing BB presses overhead)
    Dead: 135# 5x1 (could have gone a bit higher but forgot it was only 1 set)

Already looking forward to Tuesday, but that might just be to take my mind off how tomorrow will feel

Quote Originally Posted by William MG View Post
    A great age to start!

There are a number of us older folks now strength training. You are the same age I was when I began in late '19.

Got serious last Feb and hired an online coach for most of '22 to help with form and programming.

Take care of yourself and keep your workout schedule and things will progress.

Best,

Bill
    Thanks Bill!

You're welcome and glad you captured the quote. I tried to edit the date from '22 to '21 and the reply got deleted by mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by William MG View Post
    You're welcome and glad you captured the quote. I tried to edit the date from '22 to '21 and the reply got deleted by mistake.
    I heard what you meant, hehehe.

Great start, darktater!

54 y.o. here, similar height/BW, and have run NLP several times over the past 5 years (lifestyle choice). Stick to the program that Sully & Baker outlined in BBRx, don't get side-tracked by adding extra stuff (hard to do with a 15 y.o. training partner, I'm sure), and trust the process.

Keep at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Great start, darktater!

54 y.o. here, similar height/BW, and have run NLP several times over the past 5 years (lifestyle choice). Stick to the program that Sully & Baker outlined in BBRx, don't get side-tracked by adding extra stuff (hard to do with a 15 y.o. training partner, I'm sure), and trust the process.

Keep at it!
    hehe understanding what recovery time is for 56 vs 15, it isn't hard for me to avoid getting side tracked
    I want him to enjoy going to the gym, so if he wants to do more that's fine. I'll push him, but I'll be fine with the program. Sooner or later it will catch up with him.

Ordered the SS:BBT book, and Practical Programming today, so I'll have plenty of reading to do.

back in the gym tonight!

Leisurely 1/4 mile stroll on the treadmill, just to get some blood flowing through the thighs. Not much discomfort from my first workout, but I can feel it enough that some blood moving seemed like a good idea. That was all for me, I did walk around with my grandson for his over training. It's hard to convince a 15yo of darn near anything, and he loves lifting weights. Perhaps tomorrow evening will convince him to ease up a tad hehehe

workout #2 03/01/2022

BW: 235

Squat: 105x5x3
    Bench: 110x5x3
    Dead: 145x5x1

Thighs were still a bit sore, but that wore off pretty much by the first work set. Worked hard to make sure I was getting deep enough. Bench was good, deads were good but I think I might be a bit low on #s there. No worries, it will catch up at some point.

Really enjoyed the workout, now on to recovery.

Default Work out #3

ok, already not doing the program (sort of)...

BW: 235

I had looked at the SS app today, and when I got to the gym didn't notice that it was on Dead's and I was doing squats. Did all my warm up sets, and loaded up 155. Realized that seemed a bit higher than it should be and double checked the app. Duh!
    Must have a high enough T level for stupid shit (appointment Monday to get back on TRT), so a grabbed a spotter and tried to find out if I had started too low. Not that much too low it turns out, got 2 reps and came back to my senses. Removed the erroneous weight.

Squat: 115x5x3 (last few reps were tough, but done with the same form) - so I got back on the program as best I could...
    Press: 80x5x3
    Dead: 155x5

Deads felt really strong, not easy but good.

I made sure to do the proper work sets, even with the higher weight warm ups. Learned to double check the app is on the right movement.
    Last edited by Peter Tschantz; 03-14-2022 at 02:16 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    great start! just take it nice and slow, follow the progression and get your 3 workouts in every week. The world won't end if you do squats on a night you were 'supposed' to do something else; at this point your working on your form and building muscle memory and a base for futures gains in both strength and health. Keep going!

(i'm 58, 6' and oh probably 235 so w'ere similar)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast