starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barbell lifts + milk + sleep = NLP

Default Barbell lifts + milk + sleep = NLP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    New to the forum logs but not NLP.
    28 yo, 5' 8", 200#

I'm resuming from a few months of layoff due to my busy schedule. I had about 5.5 months of fairly consistent training and weighed 204# at the end.
    My PRs are:
    Squat: 285
    Bench: 180
    Press: 125
    DL: 360
    Chins (single set, bw): 3

I did light pulls rather than power cleans.

Resume schedule:
    Squat 135
    Press 85
    DL 225

Squat 185
    Bench 115
    DL 265

Squat 225
    Press 105
    DL 295

Squat 255
    Bench 145
    DL 305

Squat 265
    Press 115
    DL 315

Squat 275
    Bench 175
    DL 325
    Last edited by jeepnsteak; 01-27-2022 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Adding what was accidentally deleted in the previous post

Glad you're getting back into things!

You're young and presumably healthy, so you can get away with a quicker on-ramp than I could no doubt, but this still seems potentially too aggressive.

If your layoff has been "several months," and your initial training was approximately 22 weeks, it's probable that you'll need more than 2 weeks to get back to previous levels. Integrating advice from these forums on runback, as well as my own experience with several injury/COVID/surgery runbacks, I'd recommend something more conservative, but with a twist (additional upper body volume for re-entry):

Week 1, Day 1:

Squat: Work up to a working set of 5 using the same method as when you first started LP. This would be a set of 5 where form hasn't broken down, but you're not crushed, and COULD do 2 more sets, but STOP AFTER 1 SET
    Bench: Same as squat
    Press: (Yes, bench and press same day): Same as squat
    Deadlift: Same as squat, but work up to a set of 3

W1D2:

Squat: Take D1 weight, but for 3 sets
    Bench: D1 weight, but 3 sets
    Press: D1 weight, but 3 sets
    Deadlift: D1 weight, but set of 5 reps instead of 3

W1D3:

Add weight to everything as per normal LP. Perhaps take an aggressive jump (+15 or 20 on squat and deadlift, +10 or 15 on bench, +5 or 10 on press).

Week 2: LP everything again this week as per normal; less aggressive jumps (no more than +10 on squat and DL, no more than +5 on bench and press). Keep doing press and bench on same day.

Week 3: Normal LP, scale bench/press back to every other. Possibly move Deadlift to 3x3 instead of 1x5 on your heavier pull days.

By this time, you might still be slightly under old output levels, or possibly even hitting PRs again, but you'll be less crushed if you ease back in this way.

Thanks for the input. I based my current plan on what I remember Rip covering in a podcast. I'll definitely see how recovery and form are with the bigger jumps at first. I think I'll scale it out to 3 weeks to hit the goal of 10 under my previous PRs. I'm recording my lifts so when the bar speed slows way down I'll make smaller jumps for sure.

Only past injury I have is ulnar nerve in the left elbow. I had a cubital release surgery in 2015 due to my sling positions compressing it in collegiate rifle shooting. Wearing a sleeve on it keeps it from bothering me.

Have you already done the 1st two weeks of training or is this just the plan to this point?

I just listened to the podcast you’re talking about so I’m intrigued to see how this ramp-up goes.

Quote Originally Posted by inchXinch View Post
    Have you already done the 1st two weeks of training or is this just the plan to this point?

I just listened to the podcast you’re talking about so I’m intrigued to see how this ramp-up goes.
    This is just the current plan. I have only done the first day. It was not overwhelming on stress level. I'll update as it goes. Which episode was it btw?

#95 Questions from the Lovers about 37:45 or so.

I think the individual he’s talking about had a 140kg (308lb) DL and a 130kg (286lb) squat.

Questions from the Lovers - The Positive Experience Episode | Starting Strength Radio #95 - YouTube

Default First day back

Jan 5, 2022
    NLP
    Squat 3x5 @135
    Press 3x5 @85
    DL 1x5@225

Recorded myself and addressed form errors after each set. I did not have noticeable soreness.

Default Lift day 2

Jan 10, 2022
    Extra shifts at work delayed
    NLP
    Squat 3x5 @185 (+50#)
    Bench 3x5 @115
    DL 1x5@265 (+40#)

No sorness the following day

Quote Originally Posted by jeepnsteak View Post
    Jan 10, 2022
    Extra shifts at work delayed
    NLP
    Squat 3x5 @185 (+50#)
    Bench 3x5 @115
    DL 1x5@265 (+40#)

No sorness the following day
    How did the 50# jump day 1 to day 2 treat you?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by inchXinch View Post
    How did the 50# jump day 1 to day 2 treat you?
    I was a bit stiff morning of 2 days after. No lasting soreness at all. I'm a day late on the 3rd lift day. Weight did not seem 'hard/difficult' during the second lift day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast