Thread: SS Log - seriously this time :)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Session #6 - 3/14/22
    SQUAT: 200 x 3x5
    PRESS: 105 x 3x5
    DEADLIFT: 250 x 1x5 (Video)

Tried a hook grip for deadlift warmups, and then back to double overhand for the work set, but grip loosened a bit on 4th rep, so pulled 5th rep with hook grip. Wasn't too bad.
    Last edited by jeremyg; 03-14-2022 at 07:44 PM.

Session #7 - 3/16/22
    SQUAT: 205 x 3x5
    BENCH: 165 x 3x5 (Video)
    DEADLIFT: 260 x 1x5

After squats, my left shoulder and elbow had some weakness. Shoulders felt very tight on first few warmups. Not the first time this has happened in my lifting career. Could be a grip issue that I need to isolate and fix.

Bench was impacted from shoulder/elbow issue. Pushed through the pain but video shows I didn't go down as far on the left side. Last rep was a little tougher, but don't think is a strength issue. May try 2.5lb jump next week, depending on shoulder/elbow condition.

Used hook grips for all deadlifts; getting comfortable with my thumbs being torn from my hands lol. 4th and 5th rep form was a little off. Felt my lower back start to round and bar slide away from me, but got the bar off the floor and locked it out. Need to fix this issue. Switching to 5lb jumps from now on, since I'm still pulling 3/week.

Session #8 - 3/18/22
    SQUAT: 210 x 3x5
    PRESS: 110 x 3x5
    DEADLIFT: 265 x 1x2 (fail video)

Strained my lower back again on the 2nd rep and couldn't break the bar off the floor again. Waited 5-6 mins and still couldn't budge. I felt the strain in my back and couldn't generate any power.
    Last edited by jeremyg; 03-28-2022 at 12:35 PM. Reason: fixed date

you started rounding on the 3rd attempt. rest rest rest. I'm absolutely not a doctor so take all of this with a shot of bourbon but i'd say no lifting for a week+ minimum and then start at half these weights and please don't try to grunt out a rep if you feel any twinges. you already tweaked it earlier at 225. one thing i have learned is once the 20s are in the rearview mirror you have to respect what your body is telling you and give it a lot of time to heal

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    you started rounding on the 3rd attempt. rest rest rest. I'm absolutely not a doctor so take all of this with a shot of bourbon but i'd say no lifting for a week+ minimum and then start at half these weights and please don't try to grunt out a rep if you feel any twinges. you already tweaked it earlier at 225. one thing i have learned is once the 20s are in the rearview mirror you have to respect what your body is telling you and give it a lot of time to heal
    Yeah, I tweaked it on 2, so I guess there was no way for me to get 3 going without the rounding. Dumb to even try, I know...but I'm not good at listening when people (e.g. my body) tell me things I don't want to hear lol.

Thanks for the advice. I know I should rest. I also have a thread going with Coach Santana, so I'm curious what he'll have to say

back when i was starting out on this and stupid (as opposed to now where I'm just stupid) I seriously tweaked my back pulling 225 on the dead, when I had no business trying that weight. Oh did I mention this was right before leaving on an amazing trip to Germany and France where I was supposed to be the luggage porter? My Bride damn near killed me, I think the only thing that stopped her was her amusement at my agony as I tried schlepping the bags onto trains etc. I deserved her laughter. So now when I get the slightest hint of a tweak I stop and rest. I am just about 20 years older than you, granted.

Took a one week layoff after straining my lower back. Repeating weights from last workout, but deloaded deadlift to correct form issues that led to strain.

Session #9 - 3/28/22
    SQUAT: 210 x 3x5
    BENCH: 165 x 3x5
    DEADLIFT: 225 x 1x5 (deloaded*)

*worked to get deadlift form corrected. Noticed that I was setting up too close to the bar, then pushing it away slightly. Added some carpeting under the bar to keep it from rolling around too easily.

Session #10 - 3/30/22
    SQUAT: 215 x 3x5
    PRESS: 115 x 3x5
    DEADLIFT: 230 x 1x4 (fail video)

Slight tweak on the 5th rep of the deadlift so quit the rep. Still recovering from the lower back strain on the 18th

Session #11 - 4/1/22
    SQUAT: 220 x 3x5
    BENCH: 170 x 3x5
    DEADLIFT: 230 x 1x5

starting strength coach development program
    Session #12 - 4/4/22
    SQUAT: 225 x 3x5
    PRESS: 120 x 3x5
    DEADLIFT: 240 x 1x5 (form check thread)

I've been having some shoulder pain (right arm, mainly when lifting my arm outstretched in front of me past eye level). Training through the pain seems to be helping. Hurts less today after pressing than it did yesterday. Slow reps though, not sure when to switch to 2.5lb jumps?

These deadlifts felt pretty good thanks to Pete's advice. I'm going to aim for 20lb jumps/week (10 on mon and 5 on wed/fri) for the next few weeks and try to "catch up" a little.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast