Thread: SS Log - seriously this time :)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Session #34 - 12/27/22
    SQUAT: 275 x 3x5
    BENCH: 195 x 3x5 (PR)
    DEADLIFT: 320 x 1x5

Yay! PR on the bench press...and they went up quickly. Will try 5lb jumps a little longer

Missed 4 training sessions with the flu. Debated repeating past session weights, but went for the PR in the end. Squats were a grind though. Apparently I lost 3-4 lbs during the layoff.
    Last edited by jeremyg; 12-27-2022 at 01:03 PM.

Session #35 - 12/29/22
    SQUAT: 280 x 3x5
    PRESS: 137.5 x 3x5 (PR)
    DEADLIFT: 325 x 1x5

Accidentally did an extra set of 5 warmup squats (after the last set of 2) thinking it was the work weight, but boy, that was easy! LOL.

Bar started to slip on the last deadlift rep, but hook grip held on (with chalk of course).

Session #36 - 1/2/23
    SQUAT: 285 x 3x5
    BENCH: 200 x 3x5 (PR)
    DEADLIFT: 330 x 1x5

Happy new year!

Squats are still "grindy" and 4th/5th deadlift reps were slower off the floor. Maybe it's time to alternate deadlifts...?

Also with ~10 min rest times for all of the work sets, these sessions are taking roughly 1:45 to complete. Thinking about switching to a 4 day split.
    Last edited by jeremyg; 01-02-2023 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyg View Post
    [U][B]
    Happy new year!
    You too, Jeremy.

Squats are still "grindy" and 4th/5th deadlift reps were slower off the floor. Maybe it's time to alternate deadlifts...?
    Absolutely. Don't wait until you start failing deadlift work sets.

Also with ~10 min rest times for all of the work sets, these sessions are taking roughly 1:45 to complete. Thinking about switching to a 4 day split.
    Why so long on the rest periods? As long as your other recovery elements are good (sleep, eating, etc.) you could probably cut that time in half between work sets and be fine (e.g, for me (55M), I run 5 minutes for my heavy work sets and 8 minutes for my deadlift; 10+ minutes is for the massive weights that advanced lifters move [PPST3, pg 66]). That alone would cut down on the session time a fair bit. Another option is to start warming up for your next lift while you're doing your current work sets (e.g., do your empty bar bench before your first Squat work set, then the next couple of warmups between first and second Squat work sets...). I just picked up a second set of J-hooks for my rack and yesterday's Press/Bench day went from ~60 minutes to 40 minutes with that one simple change. Of course, it depends on your gym situation.

At 39 (maybe 40 now?), you still have a ways to go running out this NLP before you need to switch to an Intermediate program like 4-day. But having said that, once you are there, the 4-day Heavy/Light Split outlined in BBRx (pp 265-6) is a fantastic program. It allows for more recovery than HLM and certainly TM, which is a young man's game. But you really aren't there yet. Enjoy running this NLP out to fruition.

Keep at it!

I think I'm actually at the following rest times

SQUAT: 8 mins
    PRESS: 10 mins
    BENCH: 8 mins
    DEADLIFT: 3-4 mins after the last warmup

I could prob cut a few mins, but I am not usually rushed since I have a home gym and also work from home. I just figured if a couple extra mins is the difference between making a full set and not, I err on the side of caution.

I really dislike power cleans, but I'm willing to give them a try again and alternate with deadlifts.

I'm committed to running this NLP as long as I can!

Same here, with a garage gym just a few steps from the office. But once my HLM workouts started running 2.5 hours, and I felt beat up all the time, I switched to the 4-day Split, which is fantastic.

I hear you on erring on the side of caution, but just keep mindful that you can actually start cooling down with those longer rest breaks, especially on the press and bench.

re: Power Cleans. They aren't for everyone, but if you are physically capable, give them a try, preferably under the eye of a coach. Once you get the movement down, they become pretty natural. But if not, you can do alternate deadlifts like snatch grip, which will necessarily require a significantly lighter load.

Keep that NLP rolling!

Session #37 - 1/4/23
    SQUAT: 290 x 3x5
    PRESS: 140 x 3x5 (PR)

Was supposed to start with power cleans today, but family got in the way. Next week...

Also, tennis elbow in both arms from squats. Ouch!

Session #38 - 1/6/23
    DEADLIFT: 335 x 1x5

Just making up for not pulling the other day. I'm not able to do a complete session today. Also matched my PR...

Will get back on track with Novice phase II next week

Session #39 - 1/9/23
    SQUAT: 295 x 3x5 (Video and Form Check)
    BENCH: 205 x 3x5 (PR)
    PW CLEAN: 75 x 5x3

Learning (again) to power clean. Rack position is hard with the tendonitis (right arm).
    Last edited by jeremyg; 01-10-2023 at 12:51 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Session #40 - 1/11/23
    SQUAT: 300 x 3x5 (PR)
    PRESS: 142.5 x 3x5 (PR)
    DEADLIFT: 340 x 1x5 (PR)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast