starting strength gym
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: MrDeadGoat's Journey of Strength and Wonder

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    a valid concern, and I'm certainly not a person to give advice on the OHP (or "Satan's Press" as I like to call it lol I hate it). what are you doing on warm ups leading to your work set? Something like 5 each at 45/65/85 or so? Lots of reps there to get that 'pelvic thrust' implanted

I'm doing five sets (5x5x5x3x2)....but the heavier it gets, the less the hips move. And on my last work set, they barely budged...

then honestly it almost sounds like you're becoming more concerned about the weight as it goes up to the detriment of your form, and need to really focus more mentally. I do the same thing on the deads, I really need to almost forget how heavy the weight and solely focus on the form

Dude, I suck at press. I do it very strict. With trial, error, and effort, I've gotten to where I can comfortably do a set of 195 any given day, and on a good day I got 242.5 up for a single.

This advice is probably unorthodox, but here it is:

I press because it keeps my shoulders healthy for the bench, which is my chosen competition lift. On bench form, I'm a freakin' nazi. On press form, I'm more like "if it went up, it was good enough."

My hips don't lie (God bless Shakira), and what my hips say is "I'm retarded." If you have retarded hips, a stricter press may be for you. In any event, add to the bar.

Monday, 5/9
    163.6lbs - creeping up....

Squat: 165x5x3
    Felt pretty good....still moving up.

Press: 92.5x5x3
    Felt better than last week...hips were better. I'll keep moving up.

Deadlift: 260x5
    Hard, per usual, but all five went up. Mixed grip. I think I'll do a light day on Wednesdays with heavy days on Monday and Friday.

Chins: 7,5,4,3 (19)

Wasn't feeling too great going into today's workout, but happy with the results.

The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

See questions 1 and 3. You definitely need to increase your rest time and you probably need to improve your recovery (eat more). The eating more part was probably the toughest part of the program for me, but I eventually found a regimen that worked for me and allowed me to get to 182. I'd be more than happy to share if you like.

I know I gotta improve the eating, hey more cals in... I'll keep trying. Sleep is good. Rest time - 6 mins?

Wednesday, 5/11 (last post got deleted from a few comments up)
    163.2lbs - trending up, slowly....

Squat: 170x5x3
    Nearly failed on last rep. Try 175x5, 155x5x2 next time? Increase rest time from 4 mins?

Bench Press: 155x5x2, 155x3
    Same question as above....H/L/L? increased rest time? Triples?

Deadlift: 230x5
    Light day, working on grip

Chins: 7,6,5,1(19)

Quote Originally Posted by MrDeadGoat View Post
    Nearly failed on last rep. Try 175x5, 155x5x2 next time? Increase rest time from 4 mins?
    You'll make the most progress at this stage if you just stick to the program. At your age, these weights are too early for you to be modifying anything.

You noted that you "nearly failed on the last rep," but you didn't. Most likely that last rep seemed that way because of something that Ryan posted in "First Three Questions" above. Your weight is coming up (good thing) and you're still young (relatively), so you should be able to run this basic NLP on Squats for a lot more weight. Getting back to your question, run your 175x5x3 next time the same and see what happens. If you actually do fail (you won't, unless you go in with the thought that you will), then increase your rest time for the next session.

What are your rest times now? Likely increasing that will be the correct answer, as long as you're eating enough and sleeping well enough.

In the meantime, read Nick's article Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts and watch the follow-up video Press and Bench Press Programming - Getting and Staying Unstuck.

The presses are the first lifts to start to stall and struggle. But you're probably not there yet, as long as you're taking care of the First Three Questions.

starting strength coach development program
    Wednesday, 5/11 (last post got deleted from a few comments up)
    163.2lbs - trending up, slowly....

Deadlift: 230x5
    Light day, working on grip

Chins: 7,6,5,1(19)
    Yes, as Bill says, monitor intra-workout rest and the other major recovery factors.

I'm also curious on "nearly failed" for the squats. If it's based on video data (where film shows the rep took longer than 4 seconds to complete), or if it's based on poor balance (you almost fell over), then that's verifiable. Otherwise: Make sure you set your safeties to about 2" below where your squat depth is, so you can self-rescue, and drive on. If you've never tried a squat that was objectively too hard for you, and then had to lay it on the safeties, then I think you're missing two valuable lessons: 1) Proving to yourself that you are able to self-rescue in the event of a missed squat, and 2) Empirically discovering your actual current limit, rather than your perceived limit.

If you absolutely must mod: I'd go light-Wednesday as a first choice, just because it gives you 2x full-tonnage squat workouts per week for a bit longer.

On the bench, you've got verified missed reps on two sessions now. I'd go to triples immediately (5 sets of 3), and begin microloading them (2.5lbs each). If you're feeling froggy, go straight to 157.5x3x5. If you're feeling cautious, 155x3x5. If you're feeling a bit timid, 145x3x5, 5lb jumps to 155, then +2.5 thereafter.

You're about 7 weeks in if I'm pegging it right? I think you've got plenty of movement left on especially your squat, as well; your squat is artificially low right now. You might be due for some mods at 7 weeks, but without video evidence it's hard to say.

I'm glad to see you squatting more than you bench, and squatting more than your bodyweight, though, irrespective of whatever other issues you're working through right now. Excellent work.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast