starting strength gym
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: MrDeadGoat's Journey of Strength and Wonder

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    It's a good time to read Raghavan's The White Noise of Heavy.

Great work. Keep at it!

Thanks, Bill. That was an important read.

Glad to help. There's so much good information on this site, which can be overwhelming.

Hopefully you clicked on the link in that article about Learning to "Grind" by Nick Delgadillo. If not, there's the link. Another important read as your loads get heavier.

Wednesday, 5/18
    168lbs - weight starting to shoot up

Squat: 185x5x3
    Went into these having read the above articles and expecting to grind... which was definitely helpful. I ground... and got them up.

Press: 97.5x5x3
    Still some room for growth - next stop, 100.

Deadlift: OFF
    First time I've skipped DLs (or any other programed set).... Just sensed that my back needed the extra rest today. I'll be shooting for 275x5 on Friday.

Chins: OFF. Left shoulder/chest have really been bothering me, so I allowed myself the extra recovery. Will start back up on Friday.

Gonna be honest, not enjoying the weight gain around the middle, but it's an emotional discomfort I know I need to push through. I'm confident in my ability to cut down when the time is right (when my NLP is done, I guess?), just sorta sucks in the meantime

Keep at it brotha. If you can add 6lbs+ to your SBD total for every 1lb on your body, your belly doesn't matter much in the short run.

Friday, 5/20
    168lbs

Squat: 190x4, 165x5x2
    Failed on the 5th rep of my last set....got stuck in the middle and couldn't get it up, had to lay it down on the safeties.

Bench: 157.5x3x5
    Still moderate shoulder/chest pain, but still some room for growth I think.

Deadlift: Warmups, 235x1
    Not sure what happened, this was my last warmup and I barely got it up.

Chins: OFF. Left shoulder/chest still really been bothering me.

I feel like I hit a pretty hard mental wall today, just physically and mentally worn out. Lower lifts just felt so, so heavy. Has me considering returning to a full-body, "hypertrophy" routine for the summer and then running a LP in the fall when I'm at a better place mentally and able to commit to gaining weight without it messing with my head.

You're 2 months into this. There's plenty more strength gain to be had. I think retreating to bro-lift bodybuilding is premature at this point, by a fair piece of territory.

On squat: Did you get film of the missed 5th rep? I've seen many lifters (including me) lay a squat down that was "stuck," only to examine it in video and see that it was still going up (however slowly) at the time the lifter quit on the rep. If I'm present with another lifter I'll keep shouting "It's still moving. It's still moving." See if you've got someone to yell at you during your heavy sets.

If you've got film, and it shows a legit stoppage, then okay.

The next modification at that point is to put a triple on top (195x3) and carry on with business.

See you're still succeeding on bench, but you report pain a few times now in shoulder and chest ... yet it seems to be impacting chins/deads more than bench, so what's up? Describe the pain perhaps. Sharp or chronic? Specifically connected to specific movements? Where specifically (anterior, lateral, posterior, et cetera)? What/which tissue/tissues? Have you lived with enough pain in your life to pinpoint it to muscle versus tendon versus joint? Did it start at a specific time related to form or programming change?

Some pain needs to be worked through, some worked around, and some addressed with therapeutic techniques. As Joe Jaloszinski would say (spelling is likely off), "I can't see your bench from here." Get some vids available plx.

Additional question, only tangentially related: During the course of your life, how often have you benched/done push-ups/other?

So honestly, I think I just hit a mental wall - the stress of attempting PRs on all three lifts, every time, just got to me. I just wasn't use to pushing so hard.

But I'm ready to start again (and tape when possible, I swear). My shoulder/arm pain has cleared up a bit over the past week as well.

So I took about a week off (did a upper/lower split routine 3 times), question is - do I deload by 10-15%% on all the lifts and then just try to creep up the NLP again?

Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDeadGoat View Post
    So I took about a week off (did a upper/lower split routine 3 times), question is - do I deload by 10-15%% on all the lifts and then just try to creep up the NLP again?
    See Dr Rori Alter's article on The Reset. It's a great starting point.

Once you get further along in your training, you'll get a better feel of how much to reset, or if one is even necessary. In other words, the dreaded "it depends" on what the circumstances are.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567