starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MrDeadGoat's Journey of Strength and Wonder

Default MrDeadGoat's Journey of Strength and Wonder

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone,

38/m, 5'7'', 156lbs. Recently started lifting for the first time in my life, then I stumbled onto SS about a month ago and the methodology/theory really clicked for me. I started my NLP last week and am excited to see where this can take me. Hardest part so far has been accepting that I'll have to gain some weight to get my strength up (it's almost summer and I'm newly single after 12 years of marriage, so I'm a bit more aesthetics-focused than I'd like to be right now...). Glad to be here!

Tuesday, 3/22

Squat: 95x5x3
    Bench Press: 115x5x3
    Deadlift: 145x5

Friday, 3/25
    OH Press: 80x5x3
    Deadlift: 150x5x3

Sunday, 3/27
    Squat: 100x5x3
    Bench Press: 120x5x3
    Deadlift: 155x5

Tuesday, 3/29
    156lbs
    Squat: 105x5x3
    OH Press: 85x5x3
    Deadlift: 160x5

Friday, 4/1

158.6lbs - going to keep gaining over the next few weeks until I hit 162lbs and then see how long I can increase my lifts at that weight.

Squat: 110x5x3
    Having trouble with bar positioning, feels like it rolls up a bit, very uncomfortable on back, tight shoulders. Will try to work on shoulder flexibility? Also need to work on maintaining more horizontal back.

Bench Press: 125x5x3
    Felt pretty good, more focus on pushing from shoulder blades/legs, less bounce on chest

Deadlift: 165x3
    Still figuring out stance width, but OK. More drive through feet.

welcome, keep up the nice slow steady progress and you'll be amazed at what you can do. Don't rush things, and find yourself a SS coach in your area for an in-person session. it will make a world of difference.

Yep, trying to line up the closest SSC to me (about an hour away)

Meeting with SSC Christian on Monday!

You'll find that it's worth every nickel, drinking from the in-person coaching fire hose. Don't rely on your memory — take copious notes and/or record the SSC's input. You'll still forget stuff, but that's OK, as you'll no doubt make significant strides with what you do remember.

Keep at it!

Monday, 4/4/22

Met with Christian Conti-Vock, SSC, to work on form and discuss programming. Had a great time, learned a ton. Discussed benefits of gaining weight. Did a bit of a load reset on a few lifts.

158lbs

Squat: 95x5x3
    Don't have the shoulder flexibility to get into a low-bar squat quite yet - looked up the Paul Horn video last night and will be implementing some daily stretching.

OH Press: 55x5x3
    Working on hip drive, focusing on creating more of a bow shape. Keeping my elbows in front of the bar with straight wrists, bar at my neck.

Deadlift: 175x5
    Keeping my butt in the air and pushing my chest forward, placing the weight down more efficiently and on the same spot each time.

Bench: 125x5x3
    Leg drive, locking shoulders down and back for the push.

Overall, really cool experience. I plan to go back in a month or so to get another form check and receive instruction on the power clean.

great news! One stretch I did that I found helped with the shoulders for the squat was just anytime I walked by a door jam in the house I try and put my hands on either side and just gently lean forward to stretch them a little.

Wednesday, 4/6

158lbs

Squat: 100x5x3
    Really worked on stretching my shoulders, getting my back under the bar but still ended up in high bar position. Will continue to stretch daily. Had trouble focusing on cues.

Overhead Press: 55x5x3
    Weight moved way back to focus on form. Still having a lot of trouble coordinating hip thrust (with power). Think I did a better job with wrist/arm positioning, but still needs a ton of work.

Deadlift: 185x3
    Not sure how this felt - wasn't bad, but wasn't particularly good.

Goal for next session is to ask someone to film a working set of each lift on my phone so I can review (and get some form feedback).

starting strength coach development program
    Friday, 4/8

158.6lbs

Squat: 105x5x3
    Shoulder flexibility seemed a little improved, gotta keep on pushing/stretching to get under the bar.

Bench Press: 130x5x3
    Felt really good - going to focus on sight picture against ceiling next session.

Deadlift: 195x3
    Need to wear pants next time, notice I struggle going down due to concern about banging up my legs. Still working on the descent. Starting to feel pretty heavy.

Chins: 3x3

Goal for next session (again) is to ask someone to film a working set of each lift on my phone so I can review (and get some form feedback).

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast