starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 54 Year Old Female Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    May 7 2022

Squat: Bodyweight with aluminum bar. Still working on form.

Press: 32lbs - 3r x 5s

DL: 64lbs - 5 singles

May 9 2022

Squat: Bodyweight x 3reps for 4 sets - 32lbs for 3reps
    Bench: 37.7lbs - 3r x 5s
    DL: 64lbs - 5 singles

She's doing very well with her upper-body lifts! I'm pretty sure I started both at 20lbs when I did my first SL 5X5 run back in 2010, at age 28.

And she's getting real close to putting that gorgeous Bella bar on her back!

FWIW, once she can squat 20 kilos, she might prefer to use your bar for squats. I find that the smaller shaft of the Bella bar does not sit as comfortably on the back.

That's not a bad idea Tiny. She did squat with the Bella for the 1st time yesterday.

May 11 2022

Squat: 32lbs - 3r x 2s
    Press: 33lbs - 3r x 5s
    Deadlift: 69.5lbs - 5 singles

May 14 2022

Box Squat - sets of 3: 32lbs - 32 - 38 - 38 - 38
    Bench Press - sets of 3: 43lbs - 43 - 43 - 43 - 43
    Deadlift - 5 singles: 74lbs - 74 - 74 - 74 - 74

This is awesome! Sure made me smile, keep up the great work! I have to ask, are the box squats weighted? If so, shouldn't she be doing regular squats?

Thanks Roy, will pass along.

Squats are weighted but my wife has extremely bad flexibility. Using box squat for now will hopefully get her used to the movement and I can continue dropping the height of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by William MG View Post
    Thanks Roy, will pass along.

Squats are weighted but my wife has extremely bad flexibility. Using box squat for now will hopefully get her used to the movement and I can continue dropping the height of the box.
    Well she's certainly doing something that'll help

I'm not a coach, but if your wife's flexibility is too poor to perform a full range of motion squat then it may be better to do more reps with just bodyweight and focus on working toward full depth. After she can do several sets of full ROM bodyweight squats you could begin teaching her to squat the bar. Alternatively, if she cannot do bodyweight squats, she could do unloaded box squats and work on getting to depth without the bar on her back. Once she's reaching full depth on the box you could then transition to bodyweight squats. My thinking is that weighted box squats are inappropriate since she is untrained and deconditioned to the point she cannot squat to full depth. What do you think?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Thomas View Post
    Well she's certainly doing something that'll help

I'm not a coach, but if your wife's flexibility is too poor to perform a full range of motion squat then it may be better to do more reps with just bodyweight and focus on working toward full depth. After she can do several sets of full ROM bodyweight squats you could begin teaching her to squat the bar. Alternatively, if she cannot do bodyweight squats, she could do unloaded box squats and work on getting to depth without the bar on her back. Once she's reaching full depth on the box you could then transition to bodyweight squats. My thinking is that weighted box squats are inappropriate since she is untrained and deconditioned to the point she cannot squat to full depth. What do you think?
    The use of progressive box squat came to me after reading an article by Nick. We will continue in a progressive fashion, lowering as we can.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast