starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 54 Year Old Female Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by William MG View Post
    The use of progressive box squat came to me after reading an article by Nick. We will continue in a progressive fashion, lowering as we can.
    Quoting the blue book, pg 238. "But keep this in mind, box squats are an advanced exercise with a huge potential for injury if done by inexperienced or physically unprepared trainees. The risk of spinal compression between the bar and the box is very high" He is speaking about weighted box squats in this example. My confusion is stemming purely from the fact that the box squats are weighted. If box squats are necessary to get her to depth, she almost certainly shouldn't be doing them weighted. Could you provide me the article by Nick so I can understand?

I love to hear that your wife is training and I know it'll do her a world of good. I just want to understand what made you select this particular exercise because is doesn't seem appropriate to me. Keep up the good work!

In a recent podcast, I heard Andy Baker say that he uses box squats with beginners who struggle with technique. He also discusses this at the end of this article:
    Should You Box Squat? - Andy Baker

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Thomas View Post
    Quoting the blue book, pg 238. "But keep this in mind, box squats are an advanced exercise with a huge potential for injury if done by inexperienced or physically unprepared trainees. The risk of spinal compression between the bar and the box is very high" He is speaking about weighted box squats in this example. My confusion is stemming purely from the fact that the box squats are weighted. If box squats are necessary to get her to depth, she almost certainly shouldn't be doing them weighted. Could you provide me the article by Nick so I can understand?

I love to hear that your wife is training and I know it'll do her a world of good. I just want to understand what made you select this particular exercise because is doesn't seem appropriate to me. Keep up the good work!
    I'm going to back away from this discussion Roy, but before I do, here is the link.

In Defense of the Squat for Old People | Nick Delgadillo

Spinal compression can only happen if you allow the person to sit on the box, rather than using it as a touch point and a target. See Rip's video on this. He discusses the history and the way it was used by Powerlifters, which is not what he teaches.

There is a spatial element at play here as well. When perception doesn't match reality. So, the box provides an adjustable target.

My coach had me on the box squat for injury recovery and when done correctly there is no risk of spinal loading.

Thanks for the input.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by tiny&mighty View Post
    In a recent podcast, I heard Andy Baker say that he uses box squats with beginners who struggle with technique. He also discusses this at the end of this article:
    Should You Box Squat? - Andy Baker
    Great article Tiny, hadn't seen it before but captures what I'm doing here. My wife may never compete, but at the same she can definitely get closer to parallel once her mind stops playing tricks and tells her she is close, when in fact her thighs are still nowhere near parallel.

Bill

I have found the podcast I was referring to. The Baker Barbell Podcast, episode 6, Barbell training for athletes. Here's the Spotify link:
    Unsupported browser

The stuff he discusses before that segment is very interesting too (low versus high bar squats). Seriously I think I have listened to each of Andy's podcasts about 3 times, even when it's about stuff that I don't care about (like conjugate).

Do what you will. Godspeed sir.

Novice Masters Squat Selection

Box Squat: 38lbs - 3r x 5s
    Press: 34lbs - 3r x 5s
    Deadlift - 5 singles: 80

Quote Originally Posted by William MG View Post
    Box Squat: 38lbs - 3r x 5s
    Press: 34lbs - 3r x 5s
    Deadlift - 5 singles: 80
    Glad to see that you deleted your previous message, Bill. Keep her at it, continuing with the guidance that you've been given.

With that 80lbs deadlift she must be getting pretty excited! I sure am 😁

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny&mighty View Post
    With that 80lbs deadlift she must be getting pretty excited! I sure am 😁
    She was stoked!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast