starting strength gym

Thread: 28 YO 6'3" Weak Uncoordinated Indian Man

Default 28 YO 6'3" Weak Uncoordinated Indian Man

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Well, 6'2.57" really.

After many years of abusing my body with substances and self-loathing, I've found the motivation to shove my weak ass into the weight room once again. This is an old account I made when I was 18 JFC but I felt like reviving it for sentimental reasons. Not sure what I was thinking when making my account name a fictional character from a sci-fi world with middle-eastern roots in an American weightlifting forum board. I'm only slightly less stupid than I was back then.

I have a bunch of things that make me feel like a snowflake - I have ADHD, I'm flat-footed with an inflexible lower body, My wingspan is relatively small for my height, I have a really funny gait and I've always been a klutz type uncoordinated kid for the most part

I'm going to hide them away and try to make something out of my skeleton. I thought embarrassing myself by starting a log might help keep me honest as well as accountable in a manner of sorts. I'll try to update this thread as often as I can. Hopefully this time I can maintain a linear progression.

(After Workout #5)

BW : 225 lbs

Imperial :

Squat : 198
    Press : 110
    Bench : 132
    Deadlift : 266

Metric :

Squat : 90
    Press : 50
    Bench : 60
    Deadlift : 120

There's nothing like keeping at it and succeeding in that to build confidence. So, keep at it.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    There's nothing like keeping at it and succeeding in that to build confidence. So, keep at it.
    Thanks for the motivation, hopefully this time is it.

Workout date: 17/6/2022

Squat : 209 lbs / 95 Kg
    Bench Press : 138 lbs / 62.5 Kg
    Deadlift : 275. lbs / 125 Kg

Notes :

Squat : Need a form review, low back might be winking too much, overall sometimes feel as if it's asymmetrically loaded as my right lower back and hips feel a little more sore than the left side right after the workout, but not several hours after. Recorded form so working on the post for a form check.

BP : Wish I had increased the weight a little more, 3 sets were challenging but didn't feel as hard as they should have compared to the previous weight jump. Form felt fine, should review once it feels more challenging.

Deadlift : Form is breaking down, I noticed that I didn't pause between reps to reset my lats, did it for the fifth rep only today, upper-back is slightly rounding. The weight has started to feel challenging and my form may have been too casual up to now.

You may wish to video all three of your lifts or get an online coach through Barbell Logic. The Squat pain as you describe it may well be from a knee slide or a lack of location on the bar. I noted that your bench press isn't much heavier than your overhead press. You may have started too low. Concerning pauses between deadlifts: How long do you usually pause? It shouldn't be any longer than 2-3 seconds.

You may wish to video all three of your lifts or get an online coach through Barbell Logic.
    I'd definitely love to employ a coach, definitely sometime in the future but in the current scenario it is a bit difficult for both the time and financial investment. Surely I understand that it can make all the difference in the world to have a coach. I'm moving to LA this fall from India and am going to be a studying for a year. Hopefully once I begin working I can expend as much as I want on things like this. For now form check requests on the forum courtesy of generous SS coaches is my best bet.

The Squat pain as you describe it may well be from a knee slide or a lack of location on the bar.
    I did post a form check video for squats, waiting for it to (hopefully) get approved

I noted that your bench press isn't much heavier than your overhead press. You may have started too low.
    I think you're right, I might have been very detrained because it feels as though my starting weight was more challenging than my current weight. Will try to increase the rate of increase on BP.

Concerning pauses between deadlifts: How long do you usually pause? It shouldn't be any longer than 2-3 seconds.
    Ah I don't think I worded this very well. Up till now I was trying to perform the whole set as quickly as possible, which means perform the next rep as soon as the bar comes to a dead rest, so barely a second or under imo. In this scenario I could not do it for the last rep and had to pull the bar closer into my shins using my lats which I didn't have to do for the previous workouts.

Ah. Many people waste much time at the bottom of the deadlift but your problem was just the opposite. I do believe rapidity is better than what I do at times. I get antsy on occasion and fiddle with my grip or something at the bottom. But as you say, there needs to be a reset and it should be done quickly. Good for you.

Welcome to the states but LA, actually most of California, is an oddity in the US.

Ah. Many people waste much time at the bottom of the deadlift but your problem was just the opposite. I do believe rapidity is better than what I do at times. I get antsy on occasion and fiddle with my grip or something at the bottom. But as you say, there needs to be a reset and it should be done quickly. Good for you.

Welcome to the states but LA, actually most of California, is an oddity in the US.
    Thanks for the welcome! Still a couple of months out but I'm happy to be in a place I can order lifting shoes and belts without paying half or more cost for shipping and import duty.

Been very disillusioned this week and put off posting here for a while. Going to post the whole week here at one go :-

Monday:

Squat : 220 lbs / 100 Kg
    Press : 115 lbs / 52.5 Kg
    Deadlift : 280 lbs / 127 Kg

Wednesday

Squat : 226 lbs / 102.5 Kg
    Bench Press : 143 lbs / 65 Kg
    Deadlift : 287 lbs / 130 Kg

Friday (Bad day today, less sleep and sore back from sleeping wrong)

Squat : 231 lbs / 105 Kg FAILED (Experienced a back spasm on the third set second rep, could finish the rep but had to bail on the set)
    Press : 121 lbs / 55 Kg (Might have cheated with a bit of hip thrust on the last two reps of third set, but my back was absolutely screaming
    Deadlift : 242 lbs / 110 Kg (Deloaded a lot because I was in a lot of pain but wanted to do "something", deads actually made my back feel better)

starting strength coach development program
    Monday :

Squat : 231 lbs / 105 Kg (No incidences like on Friday)
    Bench Press : 154 lbs / 70 Kg (Last rep of third set missed touching my chest, will have to be a little more conscious about arching my back)
    Deadlift : 297 lbs / 135 Kg (Grip felt weird on the last two reps, last rep felt like my back refused to set-up correctly)
    Last edited by Muad'Dib; 06-30-2022 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Major typo