starting strength gym
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Balikati's Log

Default Balikati's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I saw people posting their logs here and thought it's a good idea so I'll start doing so now. I like including unnecessary details as if I'm keeping a diary so I'll do that unless I get bored. I wrote about what went on with my training since I started, what I'm doing now and where my lifts were a month ago in these threads, I'm linking them here so I don't lose them in the future.
    Looking for advice on programming during a cut
    Form check on all 5 lifts

5'7"/171cm male recently turned 24.

July 4 2022 Monday
    •Squat 1x5 140kg, 2x5 125kg
    I unracked it, squatted down and then I don't even know why but I dropped it without even doing a single rep. But it was just a stupid form error so I waited a couple minutes and tried again and did the set without any problems.
    •Bench Press 3x5 87.5kg
    5, 4, 4. I bounced it off my chest for the final rep in the first set. I tried not to do that in the second and third sets.
    •Power Clean 4x2 75kg
    2, 2, 1, 0. It was my first time with this weight. It felt like I split my feet a little more than I normally do, I couldn't be sure if it was too wide or not. Also the rack was bad a couple of times because I leaned back too much. None of those ever happened with 72.5, so I'll fix em as I get more used to this weight.
    •Chins 3xF
    3, 3, 2.

I weigh myself every week on mondays after I'm done in the gym. Today my weight was 98.8kg.

Welcome, balikati.

Many of us include "unnecessary details" in our logs here. For me, it's because I don't have enough room in my paper log book to keep track of all of the minutiae that are a part of the workout, whether it's the recovery (or lack of), temperature, music, etc. For others, they like to throw in stream of consciousness thoughts that might be unrelated to the session. Others keep it real short.

In other words, it's your log. Abuse it as you see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Welcome, balikati.
    Hello Bill. Appreciate your welcome message. Hopefully I'll be filling this log with many unnecessary details from this day on.

July 6 2022
    •Overhead Press 3x5 57.5kg
    5, 4, 3. First set was really comfortable. Then I guess I ran out of gas. I'd completed a 3x5 with this weight on the first week of June. Sucks that I can't know because of the stupid situation I'm in.
    •Deadlift 1x5 155kg
    Got very difficult in the end. I basically had to jack the bar to get it moving on the final rep. But I kept my back straight.
    •Barbell Curl 3x10 37.5kg
    First time I completed a 3x10 with this weight. Was very easy too. Left me a bit surprised.

I posted this message yesterday night but I was too tired so I left the details for later. But I accidentally deleted it while trying to edit today. So I'm reposting.

July 8 2022 Friday and July 11 2022 Monday
    Can't train because the gym is closed for the national holiday.

July 18 2022 Monday
    Back after a 10 day lay off. Lowered the weights on some a little to see where I'm at.

•Squat 1x5 135kg, 2x5 122.5kg
    4th rep was a grind. Wasn't a screamer but was definitely a big grind. Didn't get the fifth. From now on unless I state otherwise back off sets were good.
    •Bench Press 3x5 85kg
    5, 4, 3. Someone on the forums told me my grip was too wide a couple of weeks ago. I used to have my pinky on the 32" mark. Thanks to him I realised the error and narrowed it to around 28" like it says in the blue book. I was very surprised at how it was so much more comfortable. It is easier to have more control over the bar, unracking is easy, it just feels so much better. The first set was good. Then as is the case lately with my upper body lifts since I had to start this "cut" I ran out of gas and couldn't get the 5th on the second set.
    •Power Clean 4x2 75kg
    It was so smooth from start to finish. No splitting the feet, no leaning back while racking, I was so comfortable. I was surprised to be honest considering it was nothing like this the last time I did power cleans. Strange how the pulls seem not to care about layoffs.
    Since I now have to shove my knees out a lot to accomodate my belly so I can set my back, the knurl chafes on my knees and bruises them. It doesn't feel so good so maybe I'll wrap a cloth around or something.
    •Chinups 3xF
    4, 3, 3. For every set I got my face on a level with the bar for another rep but I couldn't get the chin up there too.

I weighed 97.4kg today.

Also I now understand why posts get deleted when I'm trying to edit them. Whenever you tap the screen after opening the editing page it automatically deletes the post. Maybe it's about the mobile interface.

July 20 2022 Wednesday
    •Overhead Press 3x5 55kg
    5, 4, 3. First set was very easy and made me think lowering after the layoff wasn't necessary at all. The usual happened after that for the second and third sets. With everything going on, I'm content with being able to get a good first set at this point. I'll try working back up to 60 at least for a single set of 5.
    •Deadlift 1x5 155kg
    Easier than last time. But a strange thing happened immediately after (I think and hope) I locked out the fifth rep; bar started falling on the left side as if my grip gave in and left hand opened. I don't know how that can happen because I was using straps. Maybe I didn't grip it properly before the final rep. I'll see what happens next time.
    •Curl 3x10 40kg
    9, 7, 5.

July 22 Friday
    Forgot to post this.

•Squat 1x5 135kg, 2x5 120kg
    It was all good but I'm starting to notice that I'm increasingly losing the ability to get the bounce when I'm just below parallel. When I go ass to grass I get it. I'm a flexible man, I'd been physicaly inactive for years before I started lifting weights 6 months ago but as time goes by I think it's waking up again so to speak. I don't divebomb, but I tried going especially slower and it didn't really make a difference. Hope this isn't going to be a big problem because I don't know what to do. Also when I was trying to focus on this I felt like the bar rolled over to my neck on the 4th and 5th rep but still got em.

•Bench Press 3x5 85kg
    5, 5, 4. Motherfucker just didn't go up on that one.

•Chin-up 3xF
    4, 4, 3.

Skipped the week after this entirely. I'll be back Monday. For the month of July I skipped more sessions (5) then I did for the entire 6 months until July (0). That's not gonna happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by balikati View Post
    That's not gonna happen again.
    Yeah, it will. It's called "life" and you'll be better able to handle it because of those sessions you don't miss , so don't worry about it too much

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    Yeah, it will.
    Well.. You were onto something here considering I missed the very next session after that post because I fell asleep after work. Guess it's something that just happens every now and then.

August 3 2022 Wednesday
    •Bench Press 3x5 85kg
    Was very nice and smooth.

•Power Clean 4x2 77.5kg
    2, 2, 1, 0. First two sets were fine. Could have done them with better form especially the second reps. Third set, I tried 3 times and couldn't get a single rep. I didn't feel fatigued, but felt very slow and I had trouble initiating the second pull. I got it on the 4th try and was very clean too. Couldn't get the second rep. For the fourth set I tried three more times but it was just not coming up by that point.

•Light Squat 2x5 100kg, 1x5 120kg
    I omit the light squat since I had to start this cut but I figured I'd do it this week since I missed the Monday session. It was supposed to be done with 100kg, I don't know why I did that 120kg set. Guess I just missed squatting. Hope that stupid decison won't affect Friday's session. Lately I get DOMS that doesn't go away quickly because there's been a couple 10 day breaks between my squat days.

•Chin-up 3xF
    4, 3, 3. I felt some stiffness on my right hamstring during the final set. I don't know what that was about.

I weighed 98kg today.

starting strength coach development program
    lol see? no worries. You put in the time you can when you can, and never let this stuff, no matter how addictive and satisfying it can be, come between you and your loved ones

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast