starting strength gym
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Balikati's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by balikati View Post
    Skipped gym this week. Monday was because of my ankle. Wednesday and Friday were because of work. I'll be back next Monday.

I normally did the light squat on wednesdays but I had stopped it two months ago when I started this cut. It's not exactly a cut per se either, I'm not following a specific diet with the purpose of receiving a specific result in weight or fat loss or whatever. I still eat relatively more compared to normal people if that's how you'd describe them, but not enough to feed a body of my weight that does weight training. My guess as to why the loss of weight isn't as quick as one would expect is because of all the skipped sessions in July and this month. In June I'd lost 3kg in 2 weeks.
    For the light squat I used to do
    Monday - Heavy
    Wednesday - Light (70% of Monday)
    Friday - Heavy (+2.5kg of Monday's)
    And repeat the same weekly. But what you're suggesting makes more sense to me. I think I'll do that.

Yes, as a matter of fact 2.5kg increments were a problem even when I ate 5000kcal and 250grams of protein daily. But I wasn't completing the number of reps to 15 then, I do that now. I did it that way on August 5th.

The issue for me with the deadlift - chin - pc programming the way you've written is that it inevitably results in a day with both ohp and pc sessions every other week and these two movements interfere with each other especially now that I don't eat enough. I'm still going to give it a try. We'll see how it goes.
    You are still a novice. Your ability to produce enough stress with a single lift to impact the next one is very limited. So yes, give it a try. Mabye you can do 4x2 on the Clean instead of 5x3 (sets x reps). The more you do the program correctly the more your work capacity will increase. If you keep doing it on and off it always stays the same.
    I talk from experience of course.
    I gave my suggestions, of course I'm no expert so, you decide which variables to change (as few as possible from the original program) and stick to that until you can go back to training optimally

AUGUST 22 Monday

Squat 3x5 120kg
    There's definitely been a significant drainage on the squat for me. This used to be my light day weight but yesterday it was a war to get it done. What didn't help was that the weather was hot and very humid, the gym's air conditioning was off and I always had a handful of people in my close proximity depleting me of air. Sweated so much I was basically soaking wet and I waited 15 to 20 minutes between sets. I didn't have to grind like crazy to move the weight at any rep but it was just overall fatiguing for me today.

Bench Press 3x5 80kg
    Was easy.

Chinup 3xF
    4, 3, 3.

I weighed 95.1kg.

AUGUST 22 Monday

Squat 3x5 120kg
    There's definitely been a significant drainage on the squat for me. This used to be my light day weight but yesterday it was a war to get it done. What didn't help was that the weather was hot and very humid, the gym's air conditioning was off and I always had a handful of people in my close proximity depleting me of air. Sweated so much I was basically soaking wet and I waited 15 to 20 minutes between sets. I didn't have to grind like crazy to move the weight at any rep but it was just overall fatiguing for me today.

Bench Press 3x5 80kg
    Was easy.

Chinup 3xF
    4, 3, 3.

I weighed 95.1kg.
    Heat is a helluva bitch, it can drain your energy quite a bit.
    You have to drink ice water, take some potassium/magnesium tablets, bring a couple towels and a second t-shirt, train early in the morning if you can and rest a little longer between sets. Basically anything you can to keep from sweating too much.

AUGUST 22 Monday

Squat 3x5 120kg
    Even with the heat and other conditions, that 15-20 minutes between sets is excessive for your weight and what you were lifting. Yes, you were warm, but think of it this way - as you do your warmups, you're doing more than raising the temperature of your muscles, you're also priming your central nervous system to get ready for that 120x5x3. So you do the first set. That set really primes your system for that second and third set. But at 120kg, you don't need too much time, even in those conditions. Sure, it may feel better, but it's too much time. Now, were you squatting 250kg for your worksets, then stretching that time out to those numbers makes more sense. In Practical Programming (pp 66-7), they discuss going beyond 10 minutes for competitive lifters at certain weights, while giving allowances for the conditions that you encountered. But, honestly, you aren't there. You lost all of that priming of your central nervous system with that long of a rest between sets.

For some perspective, the rest period for my (54M) 325x3x4 squat session today was 5 minutes between sets. Granted, I'm not dealing with the humidity that you are, which is sapping, but otherwise, it's not a climate controlled lifting space. Had I been dealing with your environmental conditions, I might stretch it to 7 minutes, but that's about it. As far as everything else (people, etc.), you'll just have to figure out how to push that to the back of your mind and focus on your lifts.

Otherwise, follow francesco's advice (although I obviously don't agree with taking more time between the sets). And, I won't lie, switching to a dry t-shirt right before your next workset is amazing!

Keep at it!

Another goddamn COCKSUCKER mosquito bit my right ankle again this week, this time on the opposite side and now I feel the same pain as last week there. I don't even know how mosquito bites keep causing this bullshit. I've been waiting for an hour and it doesn't seem to get better right now. I applied those bug bite gels the doctor prescribed last time and have an ice pack on my ankle. Waiting to see if it's going to get better in time for me to make it to the gym. I got off work late too today and now the gym's going to close in 2 hours.

Excuse my language I'm just pissed the fuck off.
    I'll update if I can make it.

August 26 Friday
    Ankle hurt a little bit during the day. Did not affect the workout.

•Squat 3x5 122.5kg
    5, 5, 4. Fucker just didn't go up. It was a grind and made me scream too. Just didn't go up.
    Today the squat session did not feel as difficult and tiring as Monday's and I didn't have to rest as much either, and yet I completed Monday's session and didn't get this one. How can a man's squat drop 20kgs in 7 weeks? Guess that's how it is.

•Bench Press 3x5 82.5kg
    5, 5, 4, 1. It wasn't difficult at all but the final rep was a grind. I had a kid waiting behind the bench in case someone decided to do an unsolicited spot and grab my bar, because some stupid people here do that kind of thing and ruin your workout; I explicitly told the kid to let the bar drop if I seem to be about to fail a rep and that I can safely lower it myself so I only want him to prevent others from grabbing the bar, but during the final rep of the final set kid got stressed out and grabbed it himself. So now I don't know if I had it or not. I didn't scold the kid too much though. I did another rep a couple minutes later to get the total to 15.

•Chinup 3xF
    3, 3, 3. I was so close to the 4th on the first set.

August 29 Monday
    Today I trained with a friend of mine at a crossfit gym he trains in. Was a nice gym with many racks, bumper plates and chalk.

•LSquat 3x5 100kg
    I think I'd gotten too used to watching myself on the mirror while unracking. Today it felt weird and made my left shoulder and elbow numb. Feels okay now though.

•Overhead Press 3x5 52.5kg
    First set was the most difficult, the rest of em weren't a problem.

•Deadlift 1x5 145kg
    Since it had been 3 weeks since I last did deadlifts I thought I'd take 5kgs off. This time it was a mistake. It was easy.
    Also, after the set was done I tried using chalk and pulling without straps. It was so effortless that I'm kind of surprised. Didn't expect chalk to make this much of a difference. Normally I do my warmups with hook grip and the workset with straps. Heaviest I pulled with hook was 130x2. Today I pulled 145 with hook after my workset for an extra rep and kept it up there for a good 5 seconds too.

Didn't have time to weigh myself, gym was closing.

August 31 Wednesday

•Squat 3x5 122.5kg
    Very nice and easy. It was nothing like last Friday.
    I had hurt my left elbow this Monday and felt that during the session.

•Bench Press 3x5 82.5kg
    Left elbow was smoked. Even unracking the bar was a problem during the final set of warmups let alone the work sets so I had to skip this. Bunch of nonsense with this elbow bullshit. And 95% of the time it happens on light squats. That's how it was when I had just started lifting and after around 5-6 months without any problems that's how it is now.

•Chinups 3xF
    3, 3, 2. Definitely felt the elbow but it wasn't undoable unlike the bench.

I weighed 95.4kgs.

September 2 Friday

LSquat 3x5 100kg

Overhead Press 3x5 55kg.
    5, 3, 4, 3. It had been some time since I did presses consistently so some form errors occur every few reps. First set was fine, missed the second rep of the second set because of bad form, I hit my forehead with the bar. Did two more after that but I was drained for the fourth.
    And on the third set, I was grinding for the fourth rep, it wasn't even a hardcore grind but a jackass thinking he was gonna help approached and was about to put his hand under the bar's left sleeve to push and tip it over. So while I was still pushing the weight I shouted at him to go away, it put me off balance and made me take a few steps back but I locked it out. I'd been drained for the 5th at that point though. Then I did 3 more to get the total to 15. The silver lining is that the weight def felt manageable.

Elbow didn't hurt too much, but I felt some pain on the bottom position, and my shoulder got very numb between sets, took around 5 minutes before it went away. This is what used to happen back then too.

Power Clean 4x2 72.5kg
    It'd been a month since I had a PC session so I took 5kgs off. Elbow hurt like a motherfucker during the rack even on warmups. With 72.5 I could only do 1 rep for the first set, and after that I felt the numbness on my shoulder too. I just couldn't get under it. Didn't get any reps for the second set in 2 tries and then I left it there. Some rest for the left arm will be good. This thing never lasted more than 2 weeks before so I'll see.

starting strength coach development program
    September 5 Monday

Squat 3x5 125kg
    Nice and easy. Today I switched to thumbless grip after a long time. Felt better overall but it did hurt my left wrist.

Bench Press 3x5 82.5kg
    Elbow was still bad. Also felt pain in my left wrist. But I didn't want to skip again so I did some light 3x5 work with 72.5 which was supposed to be the final set of warmups. Felt better as the sets progressed.

Chinup 3xF
    4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1. I remembered the pin firing protocol when I felt pain in my elbow after the first set. Figured I'd complete the reps to 15. What I felt after the first set wasn't really pain, it was numbness rather.

Weighed 95.3kg.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast