starting strength gym
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Balikati's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Friday September 30

Overhead Press 3x5 60kg
    4, 3, 2, 1, 1. As I was about to unrack the bar for my first work set, a jackass snuck up right next to me and started half repping behind the neck presses with 40 kgs or whatever. Because I was focused on the bar I didn't notice him and when I was pressing the bar over my head his bar was in the path of mine and the bars collided mid air. It threw me off balance and hurt my right shoulder but nothing too big. Guy didn't even say anything and went away.
    All the reps on the first set were grindy and not smooth at all so it surprised me that I got four reps. After the first set the guy came back and tried doing a rep with my setup but he couldn't even get one and went away again lol. After that I went in for the second set and was going to try completing the total to 15 reps but I started feeling numbness on my shoulders especially the one that got hurt earlier as the session went on. By the 10th rep even singles were grindy. Didn't get the single for the 12th rep so I left it there.

Power Clean 4x2 65kg
    2, 2, 2, 1, 1. I waited a long while after presses before starting this. First three sets were fine, missed the first rep on the final set, then got one, then missed three more so I left it. Came back like 30 seconds later and got the final rep. Today was a hot and humid day, there were a lot of people in the gym and management didn't turn the air conditioning on so it was like a sauna. Because I have no chalk my hands were soaking wet and I had trouble gripping the bar especially during the final set.

LSquat 3x5 105kg
    Some kids in the gym wanted me to max out the leg press machine and I did it like a dumbass. Max weight on the machine was 190kg and I did 10 reps with it. Still wanted to do my light squats so I waited like 15 minutes then did the session. I was worried about being sore but I slept on it and I don't have any soreness right now.

Quote Originally Posted by balikati View Post
    Wednesday September 28

Squat 3x5 137.5kg
    5, 5, 4. Made me scream too. I feel like had I kept pushing just a bit more it'd have gone up. But I've been warned in the past by management because of these screamer grinds so it makes me hesitate.
    Screaming definitely makes you weaker. It defeats the leverage of the valsalva, which uses the inner pressure of your abdominal cavity to lessen the pressure on your middle back. So don't let air out when you're at the bottom or going up.

Quote Originally Posted by dyinglight View Post
    Screaming definitely makes you weaker. It defeats the leverage of the valsalva, which uses the inner pressure of your abdominal cavity to lessen the pressure on your middle back. So don't let air out when you're at the bottom or going up.
    Yeah, I don't do it on purpose but sometimes that final rep makes me break down, hit or miss. The one on the day you quoted wasn't a big scream either, but today the final rep really made me scream. When I'm in a grind that goes on for a while after a certain point I feel it's impossible to keep it in.

Monday October 3

Squat 3x5 137.5kg
    I was sort of stressed about this all day but I got it. The final rep was difficult, it took a long time to get it up and I had to leave no gas in the tank to do so.
    Also I've felt some stiffness around my left groin warming up. Didn't feel anything as the weight increased and during the work sets. Now I'm home and kind of feeling it again.

Bench Press 3x5 87.5kg
    3, 3, 3, 3, 3. The weight felt heavy but I didn't go down for the fourth on the first set like a sucker. It's like I had conditioned myself for 3 even though I had intent of a 3x5. Didn't feel like the fifth rep was gonna go up but maybe I could have gotten the fourth. At first I was going to leave it at 3x3 but then I decided to go for 15 total. Also felt like this session was my best form wise. It's silly but this might be the first time I did all at the same time; retracted scapulas, leg drive, valsalva, straight wrists, eyes fixed on the ceiling.

Chinup 3xF
    5, 4, 4. Same as the bench press, as if I had conditionined myself for 5 on the first set, I didn't go for 6th. Felt like there was some gas in the tank for that 6th rep, maybe I'd have gotten it.

Forgot to weigh myself.

Wednesday October 5

Overhead Press 3x5 60kg
    4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1. Weird how today it felt more difficult than last Friday but then I wasn't able to get the total to 15 and today I did.
    Inside of my elbows burnt especially between the sets and also between the singles.
    Today for the first time as far as I can remember the the weight rose asymmetrically during the concentric movement. Right side went up straight and left was stuck until right side locked out and then I pushed with the left. This happened on the 4th rep until the 13th. 14th and the final rep were better.

Deadlift 1x5 155kg

LSquat 3x5 107.5kg

Friday October 7
    Been a long week. I almost skipped gym today but convinced myself not to.

Squat 3x5 140kg
    5, 4, 3. Had this session in my mind all day long. Wasn't as difficult as I thought it'd be but I didn't have the drive today to push myself. I pussied out on some reps I could have gotten.

Bench Press 3x5 87.5kg
    4, 3, 3, 3, 2. I think something is wrong with my left arm. This week all the upper body movements were so asymmetrical. Today it was the same way as it was with the press on wednesday. Right side locks out first and left side takes a couple more seconds. I did feel a slight tingling sensation on my left elbow but overall I don't know what all this is about.

Chinup 3xF
    4, 4, 3. I was getting fives these past bunch of sessions but today it felt harder.

Monday October 10

Overhead Press 3x5 60kg
    4, 4, 2, 1, 1, 1, 2. So I started out feeling better with the weight. It rised evenly too. Missed the 5th on the first set because of a form error. Second set was a little bit more difficult. After that the weight started rising unevenly again and all of a sudden I got drained out couldn't get more than singles. When I went in for the 14th rep though I got a double I don't even know how it happened. It didn't feel like I used my legs on those two but can't say I'm 100% sure about that.

Power Clean 4x2 65kg
    It was nice and easy. This is my first completed PC session since JULY 16. I had 2, 2, 1, 0 with 77.5kg on August 3 and 2, 2, 2, 1 with 65 last week but this is the first one completed without a fail in 3 whole months.

LSquat 3x5 107.5kg

Wednesday October 12

Squat 3x5 140kg
    It was so smooth that I couldn't help but be surprised a little bit. I messed up on the second rep of the final set and went too far down and paused there, even that didn't matter, I saved it and completed the rep and the set basically without struggling.

Bench Press 3x5 87.5kg
    5, 5, 4, 1. Felt so much stronger on this today compared to the previous couple sessions. Everything was perfect until the final rep. My left arm got stuck on that fucker. Right locked out but the left one was stuck halfway. I pushed it a lot too, then a guy came and was about to grab the bar so I screamed at him to go away, that broke my brace and I couldn't get the rep. Not sure if I could've gotten it if it weren't for the unsolicited spotter but losing the brace definitely had an effect. Buncha bullshit. Did a single 2 minutes after that to complete 15.

Chinup 3xF
    5, 4, 4.

Friday October 14

Overhead Press 3x5 60kg
    4, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1. Been trying to get that motherfucking cocksucking 5th rep for four sessions in a row now. At least it feels better with each one. I'll see what happens next week.

Deadlift 1x5 157.5kg
    It was nice and easy. Also I found it funny how the bar's knurl chafed on my right knee and basically shaved off some of the hair there lol.

LSquat 3x5 110kg

I posted videos of a 140kg squat set from Wednesday and a set from last Friday with the same weight and Rip said they're high on the Wednesday one and fine on the Friday one depth wise. I figured out what the difference stems from. I normally gaze at the mirror, around my hip level, when I squat. I know I'm not supposed to do that so on Wednesday I looked down and not at the mirror while squatting. Since I'd gotten too used to checking through the mirror during reps I misjudged the depth that day because of this.

Monday October 17th

Squat 3x5 142.5kg
    5, 4, 3. Everything I'd write here would be exactly the same as what I wrote for the 140 session on October 7th. Althought this one was slightly more difficult all around.

Bench Press 3x5 87.5kg
    At last.

Chinup 3xF
    6, 5, 4. I feel like I hold myself from going until failure on these lately. But I did push for the 6th today and got it.

Weighed 95kg.

starting strength coach development program
    Wednesday October 19th

Overhead Press 3x5 60kg
    5, 4, 3, 3. Finally got the 5. But I need to fix my bar path the bar basically moves diagonally. I think I need to get under it better during the concentric motion.

Power Clean 4x2 67.5kg
    It felt heavy and it made me feel like I'm not gonna be able to complete the session today halfway through. Then strangely the latter half was so nice. Reps on the second set and the final rep overall were so bad form-wise though. They went like this; rack on chest while laying back with elbows basically perpendicular to the floor, then rolling elbows up and the bar up to my shoulders. None other were like those three. I don't know why exactly those turned out the way they did.

LSquat 3x5 110kg

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast