starting strength gym
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Balikati's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thursday December 29th

Overhead Press 3x5 63kg
    5, 4, 2, 1, 1, 3. Fifth on first set was a big grind, felt so good locking that out. Something happened on the third set and it was like I got drained out instantaneously. I was going to complete the rep total to 15 by singles but then another thing happened and I was able to do a three. Didn't rest longer before that one. I don't know what happened. I lost count hence the extra rep.

Deadlift 1x5 177.5kg
    4, 1. Did four, failed the fifth. Got it above my knees but it just wasn't getting locked out. Also had a flexed back on that rep like a cat from the get go anyway. I rested a bit and did a single.

This is the first time I fail a deadlift rep since the 29th of April, and the first time while I had straps.

LSquat 3x5 117.5kg

Saturday December 31st

Squat 1x5 150kg
    4, 1. Dammit I really wanted to hit this before the new year. Weight felt really comfortable actually, but I felt a muscle tweaking in my left groin on my way out of the hole on the third rep. Because of that the rep was far slower than the first two. Then I did the fourth and failed the fifth. Was like I drained out in an instant. I rested a bit and did a single. I still feel somewhat of a pain in my left groin a couple hours after the session now.

Bench Press 3x5 95kg
    5, 3, 3. Was gonna complete to 15 but on the fourth set I unracked and failed the first rep. Don't know what that was about lol. I could've tried again but I said fuck it. Guess this ended up as another 3x3 with a bigger cherry on top.

Chinup 3xF
    7, 5, 4.

Tuesday January 3rd

Overhead Press 3x5 63kg
    4, 3, 4, 3, 1.

My groin is injured. I'm letting it rest so I skipped the power clean and light squat.

With Tuesday's session it has been one year since I started weight training. I want to summarize my first year.

I had always been an athletic kid. I did track & field and swimming before that through my teens. A lot of my time during those years were spent in practices, but I do not recall ever doing any sort of weight training with any of the teams that I were in. Stopped sports when I started college. Weren't physically active during my college years. So when I started doing the program last year, I had never held a barbell in my hands before. It was technically December 2021, but I spent a few weeks practicing form. I have a friend who's been lifting for years who introduced me to SS and he helped me with that. Had my first actual training session on January 5th.

On January 5th 2022 I was 83kgs and my first session stats for each lift were as follows:
    Squat 3x5 60kg
    Bench Press 3x5 45kg
    Deadlift 1x5 85kg
    Overhead Press 3x5 30kg
    Power Clean 5x3 35kg
    Could only do 1 chin up.

My first couple months doing the program were a bit shaky. Did stupid things like increasing the weight on squats too fast and too much. My set weight was around 110kg on the squat 3 weeks in. Even though I didn't fail then, I wasn't able to recover from the stress it caused and was in serious pain at night after my squat sessions. Thankfully I didn't get injured. Around this time I was also diagnosed with an inguinal hernia. By mid February I decided to stop doing squats and didn't do them for around a month and a half. I realised it was a mistake and resumed then.

Also I injured my shoulder and elbow a couple times because of grip problems on the squat during this time and it slowed my progress on bench press. I'm not going to count how many times exactly but I had to skip a lot of bp sessions.

First 6 months I ate a minimum of 4k calories daily, usually close to 5k, and more than 220g of protein from animal sources. At the end of June I weighed 100kgs and my stats were as follows:
    Squat 1x5 140kg
    Bench Press 3x5 87.5kg
    Deadlift 1x5 155kg
    Overhead Press 60kgx4
    Power Clean 77.5kgx2, 75kgx2x4
    4 chins

Some changes happened after June. I didn't stop training, but skipped almost 2/3rds of the sessions on July, August and September. My diet changed drastically too, I explained the reasons for it before. Ever since then I've been eating around 3k probably. I don't even count anymore. Although I still keep track of the protein. I make sure I get at least 180g from animal sources, on most days.

I got things back on track and started training consistently again after September. Haven't been able to sort the diet part, but I will. I weigh 93kg and my stats as of now are as follows:
    Squat 150kgx4, 147.5kgx5x3
    Bench Press 95kgx5
    Deadlift 177.5kgx4, 175kgx5
    Overhead Press 63kgx4, 62kgx5x3
    Power Clean 77.5kgx2, 75kgx2x4
    7 chins.

On a final note, I don't use a belt on any of the lifts. It might be a mistake, I'm not disputing anything. I just dislike the thing and don't care to get a proper one.

All in all, I think I've made good progress for a total novice, as I had been, in my first year. I'm glad weight training is a part of my life, it is something I enjoy, I believe I've given it the attention and consistency it is due and as a result I am a way bigger and stronger man than I was one year ago today. Here's hoping I have many more years like this ahead of me.

Great work, balikati. It's amazing how much progress we can make even if we're inconsistent (I'm looking at me, too).

Keep at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Great work, balikati.
    Thanks Bill.

Thursday January 5th

I tried warming up for the squat sesh, had clear pain in my groin. Skipping until it's healed.

Bench Press 3x5 95kg
    5, 5, 4, 1. Fifth on second set was the sweetest grind. Fifth on third didn't go up.

Chinup 3xF
    4, 4, 4. Did some rows with the kids before this since I had time to spare because I had to skip the squat session. Probably that drained me out.

Saturday January 7th
    I feel a bit sick today I don't know what it is about.

Overhead Press 3x5 63kg
    4, 4, 3, 2, 2.

Groin is injured still. Seems like I'm gonna have to skip some more sessions. Skipped the deadlift and light squat. Although I didn't even attempt the deadlift. Maybe I'll give it a try next session.

Quote Originally Posted by balikati View Post
    Overhead Press 63kgx4
    Also I noticed I wrote it incorrectly here. I hit 63 for 5 twice before.

Tuesday January 10th

Groin is feeling better but not yet fully healed. Skipped the squat.

Bench Press 3x5 95kg
    Nice and easy.

Chinup 3xF
    7, 6, 5.

○Forgot to weigh myself.

Sessions feel so null when I'm not squatting lol. Makes me feel kind of melancholic. My groin feels better by the day but I tried some empty bar front and back squats after the session and there's still a clear pain when I squat, more so when back squatting. Doesn't feel like something to push through so I will give it more time. If I remember correctly I had an injury like this last year during those months when I stopped squatting. Like February-March. Just makes me pissed thinking about the deloads that are due but oh well.

Thursday January 12th

Overhead Press 3x5 63kg
    Was flawless.

Power Clean 4x2
    Skipped this. Gotta start doing cleans again at one point.

LSquat 3x5
    I started fives with an empty bar worked my way up to 60 by 5kg increments. Did 3 sets with 60. Groin hurts but I found it becomes manageable once you start doing it. Felt better after a night passed too. Also did 5x3 front squats with the same weight. I get bored when there isn't much to do in gym.

I tried some pull ups today too. Did a set of 5 and one of 3. Harder than chin ups obviously but I could do them. Maybe I'll alternate chinups and pullups every other day.

starting strength coach development program
    Saturday January 14th

Bench Press 3x5 97.5kg
    4, 3, 3. First one fifth was close but I couldn't get it up. 3x3, cherry, etc.

LSquat 3x5
    Fives with empty bar, 40, 60 and 70kg then did 3x5 with 80. Feels better by the day. I'll slowly go up in weight until the injury is healed then pick up where I left off.

Chinup 3xF
    5, 5, 5. I came to the gym late today and wasn't going to have enough time so I did these inbetween squat sets. Better than skipping.

Been eating very bad past two weeks. Still hit some prs this week. I'm content with it.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast