starting strength gym
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the Hurry

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Amen. It knocked a few bikes over but nothing (and no one) got hurt. I really didn't think there was a question as to whether or not I'd get it or I would have went in the cage. Scared the hell outta me lol

07/18/2022

Squat 290x5x3 Funny pain is back, but it was totally gone by the end of the workout. Didn't feel it at all since Friday night so I'm surprised it came back.
    Press 100x5x3
    Deadlift 295x5 Back was totally flat. I put on straps for the workset today
    Chins 6,4,3

I've found my grip has definitely weakened as I get farther along in Old Fart Land. A few years ago I could DOH 355+, now straps are on at 315.

We're all heading that way Do you think it's unwise to use the straps at my current weight? I figure my grip probably gets enough work on the warmups+chins. I can't DOH my work weights, alternate grip is alright but it doesn't seem sustainable if I'm going to put another 100-200 pounds on the movement and my hook grip won't hold for 5

i am most certainly not qualified to be a coach, I can only tell you what I do. Having said that, here's my last deads

dl 155 1x5, 205 1x5, 245 1x5, 295 1x5, 335 1x5

I was DOH on all through 295 and straps on the work set, so, as you mentioned, my grip is getting work and stronger on the warmups, as each week I add 5#, right? The most important thing is moving the work set weight, not being able to crush walnuts in my fingers.

I used to do alternate but didn't like the shoulder torque, and I actually like my thumbs so have no interest in hook. If you're not going to compete, which I ain't, there's no reason to feel bad about using straps.

Thank you. Very insightful. I sometimes lose sight of whats important with this and it's refreshing to be reminded.

I have no eye towards competition to be honest. I would like to coach professionally someday. I know people might view a competitive nature as an asset for that but I just really love how this makes me feel and the things it's done for my quality of life. I'm aware that I'm not a particularly gifted specimen in the physical realm. But I have an important characteristic for this field, I won't quit.

07/20/22

Squat 260x5x3 (decided to go for a light day since my leg hasn't quit bothering me, going to push a real weight again on 07/22/22)
    Bench 177.5 - 5,5,4
    Deadlift 305x5 (rushed the last rep a little and didn't get full extension but it still felt fine. Strapped)
    Chins 4,4,3

Squat did alright. My leg was a little funny after the last set but it was totally gone by the time the workout ended. Really not sure what to make of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Thomas View Post
    I just really love how this makes me feel and the things it's done for my quality of life.
    This. I didn't start this until I was 50, having never done any type of weight training before; it has done wonders for my QOL. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    This. I didn't start this until I was 50, having never done any type of weight training before; it has done wonders for my QOL. Keep it up!
    Good for you! Starting is all that matters

starting strength coach development program
    07/22/22

Squat: Did not squat. Knee has not improved and I feel like I'm going to just string myself along with this. This is my favorite lift and I understand how important it is so I'd like to spend as little time away from it as possible.
    Press 105x5x3
    Deadlift 315x5 Having trouble telling if I'm in proper extension. It felt good in my back but I noticed the bar roll forward a little on rep 5 right before I pulled it. I'm putting a video in the technique forum.
    Chins 6,5,5

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast