starting strength gym
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the Hurry

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    08/05/22 Friday

Squat 300x5x3 Tweaked my back on rep 5 of set 1. I felt myself relax just a little on the way up. Big mistake. I was able to stay tight for the next 2 sets and everything was fine.
    Press 110x3x5
    Deadlift 335x5 The deadlift made my back feel better. Funny how that works.
    Chins 5,4,4

I swear I will start teaching myself the clean this coming week. I'm not sure how much longer I can do 2 heavy pulls a week so it'll become even more important to have the clean in my arsenal once I'm only pulling heavy once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Thomas View Post
    Hello!
    It was 195 when I weighed last week. I will weigh again tomorrow to see if I'm gaining
    My goal is to squat 405x5, DL 500x5 and obtain a bodyweight press.
    I am not doing cleans because I've been a bit of a lazy little shit.
    I need to learn them for several reasons but the most important one in my mind is the fact that I would like to become an SSC.

This is the best medicine I've ever found. I can't think of another single factor in my life (perhaps psychadelics) that has had such a massive impact of quality of life. I would like to become an SSC to share that with as many people as I can.
    It's been said that intelligent people try to find a way to get paid for doing the things they love.
    I've never really had interest in sports beside wrestling (and Cross country in highschool, god help me). Rock climbing has peaked my interested and I've found it very enjoyable. It's nice to be able to express the strength one spends so long building.
    I had a similar experience. Strength training is the one thing I've been doing (somewhat) consistently since I discovered Starting Strength.
    And I, too, would like to become an SSC.
    If that's your goal you definetely need to give your LP the priority, and do the program is it's written.
    Lazy is not an excuse. A new found passion in rockclimbing could be, it gives you perspective on how to approach the program when other physical stressors are involved (aka 2 factor model). But we are young and we got a lot of time on our hands, so it's ok to make mistakes and take some time.
    Psychedelics have always fascinated me as well, but I'm scared shitless of them ahah

Amen, Lazy is not an excuse. I appreciate your input and the time it took to provide it. Hopefully we'll both reach our goals in time.
    With respect to doing the program as it is written, I will put forth the effort to learn the clean. Are you also saying that I am doing chins too frequently?

The fear is not unfounded. Use them wisely and in spaces you are familiar with and comfortable in, around people you trust and know well.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Thomas View Post
    Amen, Lazy is not an excuse. I appreciate your input and the time it took to provide it. Hopefully we'll both reach our goals in time.
    With respect to doing the program as it is written, I will put forth the effort to learn the clean. Are you also saying that I am doing chins too frequently?

The fear is not unfounded. Use them wisely and in spaces you are familiar with and comfortable in, around people you trust and know well.
    The program goes like this:
    -Squat, Press/Bench, Deadlift every workout

-when you can't recover anymore from the Deadlift (usually after 2/3 weeks), alternate it with Power Cleans. This should create continued progress for a few weeks at least

-eventually the Deadlift will become too heavy again, so you start replacing Deadlift/Power Clean with chin-ups, every other workout. This will cause you to DL/PC only 3 times a month instead of 6.
    So it's
    (M)DL-(W)chins-(F)PC
    (M)chins-(W)DL-(F)chins
    (M)PC-(W)chins-(F)DL
    ...and so on.
    Chins are done for 3 sets to failure until you can do 10/15 reps in a row, then you alternate them with weighted chins. If you do the same number of reps but increase bodyweight it still counts as progress.

This is enough for months of consistent training.
    When other lifts get too heavy you apply the Advanced Novice modifications explained in the gray book and then you slowly become intermediate because progress has shifted to a weekly basis.

08/08/22 Monday

Squat 305x5x3
    Bench 182.5x3x5
    Deadlift 340x5

Felt good today. Messed up something in my neck a little on the second set of squats. Just moved right along. My back is totally better from fridays fuck up

08/10/22 Wednesday

Squat 270x5x3
    Introduced light day. Never feels that *light* lol.

Press 112.5x2,1,1,1,2
    I've noticed a pattern. After I hit a PR on a pressing motion on Monday, I rarely make another on Wednesday. Perhaps it's time for a programming adjustment.

Power Clean 95x3
    Warmed up from 65 to work in 10 lb jumps. Felt a lot better than the last time I did it. Seems like I land in too wide a stance after the jump.

08/12/22 Friday

Squat 310x5 Set the second set down on the pins.

Wow. I've been totally destroyed.

I was climbing yesterday and made a move that hurt my shoulder. I was having a really hard time staying in my hips during the squat and the second set just wouldn't go at all.
    My back flared up again because I won't stay in my fucking hips. I didn't even try to bench because of my shoulder. The deadlift wouldn't come up for 255x2.

I've never felt like this that I can remember. The bar just wouldn't move. I think I've out stripped my recovery with all the climbing I've done this week.
    I'm going to take the whole weekend off and reattempt this workout on Monday.

knock 5-10% off and work your way back up to give your body a rest. It's a marathon, not a sprint my friend and you've been pushing yourself.

Thank you. I really wasn't exactly sure what to do. Gotta look at the big picture.

starting strength coach development program
    08/15/22 Monday

No squat. I've messed up my back with it and I want to give it a little more time.
    Press 112.5x3x5
    Deadlift 345x3 Got about halfway up and the fourth rep and couldn't pull it. Tried again, same thing.

Im thinking about getting some online coaching. Both times I've went to see Pete I've gotten unstuck and broken new ground. I know an online coach isn't the same but I think it would help.
    I feel technically sound on all the lifts, but, the programming is another matter; Especially since I've become enamored with rock climbing. I don't know a lot about the two-factor model and I haven't seen a coach since February.

I've been working at this for 18 months now.

It's physically painful to type that out.

I often find myself feeling like I should've come farther in this amount of time. Maybe I would have if I'd had regular coaching, more intelligence, more grit, a training partner, or something. It's easy to get drug into a story about how nothing is changing, I'm not getting any better at this, I'm just wasting my time, etc. I'm not going to listen.

I'm not going to quit until I've died, or I can pull 500 pounds off the floor.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast