starting strength gym
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the Hurry

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    09/05/22 Monday

Squat 295x5x3 Not much to say. It moved well today.
    Bench 182.5x4. Fifth rep wouldn't budge. I figured that dropping some weight and moving to a top set of five would buy me a little more linear time before I needed to deload. I was wrong. 165x5x2 Backoff felt like nothing.
    Deadlift 350x4. As soon as I let go of the bar after attempting the fifth rep my erectors were just on fire. I mean instant, intense, muscular soreness. Again, I was hoping that I could go a little longer without deloading this but it seems that was just greed.
    Chins 7,5,5

09/07/22 Wednesday

Squat 265x5x2 Moved well. Excited for Fridays squat. Back to 300!
    Press 107.5x5x3. Went up fast. When I focus on getting as tight as humanly possible before each rep it seems to fly up. Squeeze the trunk!
    Power Clean 125x3x5 This was informative. I was struggling about half-way through my sets, but after I started putting the emphasis on getting my elbows up it cleaned up a lot (Pun intended). I'm good about not pulling with my arms but I really have to commit to SLAMMING my elbows up after the jump.

09/09/22 Friday

Squat 300x5x3 Rest was 8 minutes. Moved inside the cage today. I stayed in my hips and kept my knees out but I'm seeing a little bar sag and depth was spotty here and there.
    Bench 182.5x4. Dude again. The fifth rep was so close. Monday it just came to my chest and wouldn't budge, today it was well over halfway to lockout. Backoff was 167.5x5x2
    Power clean - Did all my warm ups and called it. The top of my sternum has a gnarly bruise and every rep was making it worse.
    Chins 6,1 Again, called it. I'm getting a strange popping sensation at the top of every rep.

09/12/22 Monday

Weight: 198.00

Squat 305x5x3
    Press 110x5x3 First four on every set are solid, the fifth got a little grindy each time. A PR on sets of 5 though.
    Deadlift 350x4 So close. I did this set in half the time as last week. I, being a fool, only waited 2.5 minutes between my last warmup and work. I knew better, but I felt really good and I thought I had it. If I had waited 2-3x that long I would've had it for sure.
    Chins 6,5,4

09/14/22 Wednesday

Squat 275x5x2 Posted Monday's last workset in the technique forum and got some helpful advice. Focused on my knees and hip back/drive today. I know it's lighter, but they looked and felt better.
    Bench 182.5x5. 170x5x2. Reread the entire bench press section of the blue book last night. I believe it did me well.
    Power clean 130x2. 120x3. 120x2. 115x2.

^ These were abominable. I decided to start lowering the weight because I just ended up doing tons of high pulls. I have long forearms, but they aren't so long that I can't do this exercise. Atleast two of my fingers come off the bar in the rack position every rep. This makes it very difficult to lower the bar back down to the floor. If I get my elbows up hard the rack feels good but if I don't my elbows take a beating. They get a little tender after squats most of the time and this really makes it worse. I'm going to do a weight that I can rack perfectly every time next time and just focus on getting elbows up.

09/16/22 Friday

Squat 310x4x3 I am very pleased. I was damn scared of this weight because last time I got here I fucked up my back on set 1 and had to stop. I failed the last rep on set 1 (Honestly just pussied out on sets 2 and 3 though, probably could have made it) but my knee control was phenomenal today and I fixed my depth. I'll get all 15 Monday and we'll be back on track. My right hip is very sore already, probably because it's been getting away without doing its fair share of the work until Alex pointed that out. He said I might have to take weight off but as long as I get the reps on Monday and they look like today's, I don't think I will.

Press 112.5x5x3. A PR! 110x5x3 was too I just didn't know it at the time. These sailed up, I think I can get quite a few 2.5 pound jumps before I need to change anything. This milk is doing wonders.

Power Clean 115x3x5 Very good, I'm moving much faster and I'm catching it on my shoulders instead of my sternum. I have a big ass bruised knot on my breastbone from the last few workouts but today I barely touched it.

nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    nicely done!
    Thank you man!

09/19/22 Monday

Weight 198.00 I was really hoping I had gained weight with GOMAD but I guess I need to up calories outside of the whole milk a little more.

Squat 310x5x3 - PR There really isn't shit in life that scares me like heavy squats yet. Moved well. Depth was killer and my knee control has improved. I need to keep focusing on the knees because the last rep or 2 tends to come in a little more than I'd like
    Bench 185x5 - PR , 170x5x2 I was practically throwing the backoffs. I'm wondering If I shouldn't make them a little heavier.
    Deadlift 350x5 - PR Extension wasn't there. It felt good but I HAVE to get my chest up harder next time. I tend to drop my hips when I try to get my chest up so there's a delicate balance that I need to focus on.
    Last edited by Roy Thomas; 09-20-2022 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Left out PR

starting strength coach development program
    09/21/22 Wednesday

Squat 262.5x5x2 First set felt like shit. Second one felt nice. Just in my head today for some reason.
    Press 115x5,4,4,2 Going for 15 reps in as few sets as possible.
    Power clean 117.5x3x5. The last set wouldn't rack right for some reason. I think this was just an off day mentally.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast