• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Latest:

Squat= 215, 3x5
    Press= 95, 3x5
    Bench= 130, 3x5
    DL= 285, 1x5

Nothing has stalled, and I have figured out a few things that have made an immediate difference in improvement.

1. Tracked everything and ate 5300 cal yesterday. MUCH more stable and strong through all lifts. The latest podcast with Ray and Nick reminded me of the vertical diet and monster mash. Will be doing it from now until I can't stand it.

2. Squats. Visual aim really is crucial for balance. I was looking down arbitrarily before; loosey goosey. Today, I placed a bright yellow 0.5lb micro plate directly in front of me on the ground 6-7 ft. ahead. Laser, surgical focus throughout the workset with much better balance.

3. DL without shoes! Game changer! Does something to the leverage and moment arm that made it feel like I was prying it right up!

Here are pics yesterday's diet:

diet1.jpg
    diet2.jpg

Latest:

Squat= 202, 3x5
    Press= 104, 3x5
    Bench= 152, 3x5
    DL= 305, 1x5

Had to deload my squats. Now using the change plates for 2 pound jumps which is going well. I'll just have to be patient. Got a SS belt, which most definitely helps with squatting, but I can't figure out how to use it for the DL. If I wear it too low, it slides up my back when I get into position. If I wear it up higher it feel awkward and I can't get a deep full breath. Being 46 and doing this NLP with a sub 400 total test level (75 free) does make me wonder just how much better this would be going with higher numbers.

Latest:

Squat= 210, 3x5
    Press= 108, 3x5
    Bench= 156, 3x5
    DL= 313, 1x5

Well, I got the motherfucking flu. Or covid, who knows. Fever, body aches, strength gone, appetite gone, wheezing cough with foamy mucous production. Training ON HOLD. Was really excited to DL 3 plates next workout, finally joining the "woman's club", haha. Oh well, shit happens. We're not in control of everything and the weights aren't going anywhere. God laughs at my plans.

Latest:

Squat= 216, 3x5
    Press= 112, 3x4
    112, 1x1*
    Bench= 158, 3x5
    DL= 317, 1x5

Failed my last rep on my 3rd workset on press for the first time today. Rested, then did the last rep. DL now has 3 plates per side, which feels like a small win. I've started doing chins in the rack everyday. Haven't done any in years, so I can do 2 right now, haha. Also using a band to assist for a set of 5.
    Last edited by Tectonic; 11-19-2022 at 02:46 PM.

Latest:

Squat= 225, 2x5
    Press= 112, 3x5
    Bench= 160, 3x5
    DL= 319, 1x5

Time to make some adjustments. "A man has got to know his limitations". I'm tired of feeling beat to shit after every workout, not sleeping well after training, not even as hungry as before. Continuing to add weight, yet feeling weak with daily movements. Consulted The Barbell Prescription. Squats will now only have 2 worksets. Deadlift will be once per week rather than 3, with a 80% squat that day. The workout days I'm not deadlifting, I'm going to continue to do pullups and maybe incorporate barbell rows. I've been doing 2 pounds jumps, but I'm going to try to bump that back up to 5 pound jumps (I'll keep bench and press to 2). Less volume, maintain or slightly increase intensity which is the ultimate focus anyway. See what happens...

You have definitely had some struggles recently. Perhaps you're still feeling beat to shit from the flu.

Regardless, I was feeling the same way running HLM. Those 3x/week long workouts were doing it to me. Personally, I found a completely different experience with the 4-day Heavy/Light Split outlined in BBRx (pp 265-6). Yes, it's one more day in the gym, but the sessions are much shorter. And the way it cycles the intensity each week and cycle really helps, since we're in the demographic where volume really does beat the shit out of us.

Keep at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    You have definitely had some struggles recently. Perhaps you're still feeling beat to shit from the flu.

Regardless, I was feeling the same way running HLM. Those 3x/week long workouts were doing it to me. Personally, I found a completely different experience with the 4-day Heavy/Light Split outlined in BBRx (pp 265-6). Yes, it's one more day in the gym, but the sessions are much shorter. And the way it cycles the intensity each week and cycle really helps, since we're in the demographic where volume really does beat the shit out of us.

Keep at it!
    Thanks for the encouragement Bill, I really appreciate it! Yeah, I actually still have a residual cough and some congestion from it. No fever or body aches and my energy is back. It's just really hard to let more than a week go by with no training when you have all that momentum built up. I also have a toddler and a pretty stressful job at a hospital. Recovery just ain't all it should be. I am definitely looking forward to the dip in volume, and the pullups are refreshing after the same four lifts for 4 months. I may eventually give that 4 day split a try.

Latest:

Squat= 190, 2x5 *80% lite day
    Press= 115, 3x5
    Bench= 162, 3x5
    DL= 325, 1x5

Easing up on volume may have helped. My lower back wasn't on fire half way into my DL warmup sets. Keep hitting all scheduled numbers. We'll see how my 230lb squats go in 2 days. I hope the 80% worksets don't foul up my progress. I'm doing 30min LISS on the exercise bike 2X a week on off days, trying to add in some active recovery. Getting 7000 steps a day at work.

I think I saw it on a poster in Alan Thrall's gym fro a youtube- "It never gets easier. You Just get stronger." Yeah, I get that now. It would be nice if each of the reps in my work sets would pop right up. Or, at least feel stronger doing them. My squats grind, but deadlifting...I feel like I'm fighting for my life to pull that bar up to lock out. However, rewind back to when I began 4 months ago with 135 squats and deadlifts. Those now pop right up.
    Last edited by Tectonic; 12-02-2022 at 11:27 PM.

Your light squat day will not foul up your progress. If anything, it will help your progress, especially considering your recovery factors. That's why it's a part of BBRx's Program 1D: Advanced Novice Program (pg 193).

Your squat will continue to climb as long as your deadlift progresses. But you will reach a point where your squat starts catching up to your deadlift and your deadlift will stall. They use so many of the same muscles and both are quite stressful to your entire body that they you'll need to start considering them as one. That's your experience with them now—"My squats grind, but deadlifting...I feel like I'm fighting for my life to pull that bar up to lock out." Here are two great reads on the topic —

Artificially Weak Deadlifts, Part 1

Artificially Weak Deadlifts, Part 2

Make sure you read the forum discussions for both articles. They are chock full of good nuggets.

For me, whenever both my squat and deadlift got above 315lbs, my deadlift would stall and I would keep grinding out attempts while my squat kept climbing, then overtaking my deadlift. Once I read those articles and discussions, I reset my squat to below 300lbs and the deadlift started climbing again. The adaptation has occurred and now both are over 315 and I don't have those issues.

As far as programming, as the deadlift gets heavier, you might find it useful to switch your light squat day to your deadlift day. And from there, doing your deadlifts before your light squats. Once you're at that stage, trust me, those light squats do not feel light, but they are still beneficial.

re: Thrall's quote. It's a riff off of Greg LeMond's (the only American to win the Tour de France) quote "It never gets any easier. You just get faster." Who knows where Greg picked it up from. Regardless, it's true, as you have discovered.

starting strength coach development program
    Indeed great articles, thanks Bill.

Latest:

Squat= 230, 3x5
    Press= 130, 2x5, 1x4,*1x1 (failed the last rep, made it up)
    Bench= 177, 3x5
    DL= 350, *5x1...my rest in between reps is just about turning these into singles

Excited to be closing in on 135 for press. And bench hasn't stalled yet. Not herculean numbers, but they are good for me. Gotta do something about my lame ass squat in the new year. I do know I have a mental hang-up about fucking up my knees or spine everytime I go down. Yet, nothing ever gets injured or hurt. I also think I need to push the envelope a bit more. That's what the safety pins are for. I've never had to set the bar down yet. I have reset my squat twice now however, I'm never gonna get anywhere if I keep doing that. Gotta commit to more calories as well. And, getting a vid to a coach would obviously help. I did widen my grip on the bar, which allowed me to get under an inch or two lower. Feels way more stable and strong. I think it was sitting up too high.
    Last edited by Tectonic; 01-08-2023 at 05:17 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast