starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tectonic NLP

Default Tectonic NLP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    First post. I thought I would document my progress doing the NLP in this thread, mostly to hold myself accountable. Also, to have a record of where I started and where I ended up. I will be using the SS app to record my workouts, and then transcribe it here. I found a 24hr barbell/strongman/strength-focused gym to train at. Rogue racks, bars, plates, chalk, etc. Have squat shoes and knee sleeves, will invest in a belt once the weight goes up. I'm 45, 5'11", about 212 pounds. Currently skinny fat, probably 25% BF. I've lifted before, but never "trained". I am fairly weak and unconditioned at this point. When I have lifted before, I always became impatient and never committed to a singular long-term focused goal. That's what resonates with SS; the weight is the sole focus as the metric being measured. Not how you look, not the number of reps, not endless sets, etc. If the weight goes up, you have gotten stronger. This defines "strength". Endurance and conditioning is a different matter for a different focus. I will be using the cronometer app and a scale to track my food intake - macros and calories. Protein will be whey isolate, meat, eggs, and some dairy. Carbs will include oats, brown rice, beans, and potatoes, and random fruits and veggies. Fat will include butter, cooking oils, and the fat content in meat. Lots of coffee and green tea. I don't want to gain (or hold on to) a bunch of body fat, but I will scale up the calories as needed to increase the weight on the bar.

My first workout will be July 18, 2022. Starting at the bottom. Going to begin conservatively with the amount of weight I lift.

Squat: 95
    Press: 45
    DL: 135

2nd workout today. By the numbers.

squat= 3x5 @ 95
    bench= 3x5 @ 65
    DL= 1x5 @135

Glad to hear you're getting started! There's no time like the present. If you haven't had coaching before, it's helpful to have some professional eyes on each of your lifts early in your career. I went to see Pete Troupos about 4 months after I started and it made a big difference. Good luck man!

Thanks much Roy. Yeah, a form check early on is probably a wise move. No SS coaches in my area, so I'll have to figure out a vid submission.

squat = 3x5 @ 105
    press= 3x5 @ 55
    DL= 1X5 @ 145

I thought the SS app was glitchy and bugging out because it was by default increasing my progression weight by 8 and 4 pounds. I had to manually change that to 10 for the DL and 5 for everything else.

Welcome! If you do the program and just take it nice and easy you will be amazed at your progression. You've got the right attitude: we do this to gain strength, not look like a stud muffin on Pismo Beach. I started at 50 and had never lifted in my life, and I'm far stronger now then I have ever been, so keep at it.

Yep, as Mr Bingley said, stick to the program and you'll be amazed at the difference in you by the end of the year, if not before.

Similar to Mr Bingley, I started at 49. That was after a lifetime of chronic cardio and occasional flailing about with light weights. My only question about the program is "why didn't I start this earlier?"

Keep at it!

Wasn't thrilled with the gym, so I invested in the bare minimum to get the LP done. Cheapo amazon haul. The fitness reality rack, some everyday essential plates, plate tree, DL jack, titan bench. I have a rogue boneyard bar from previously. Much prefer lifting at home whenever I want without the commute.

Haven't stalled, been making all my 5's. But, some BAD flare up of tendonitis in my right wrist and pinky finger. Hurts like hell. Might have extended it during bench. I've been hyper-focused on keeping great form for squat, with the correct setup; thumbs over bar, wrists neutral , elbows tucked and tight, bar on rear delt shelf, etc. Somehow I placed a lot of weight into my wrist.

Latest:

Squat= 155, 3x5
    Press= 65, 3x5
    Bench= 100, 3x5
    DL= 195, 1x5

Feelin good. Making all the 5's. Trying to keep calories consistent everyday. Sleep could be better, but I'm getting the bare minimum. Trying to keep active on rest days, dynamic stretching, walking, etc. Wrist tendonitis went away and hasn't returned. Squats are beginning to feel heavy at the bottom, and my lower back is pretty tight and sore (though not in an acute, injured way) after the 1 set of DL's. Probably because my core and back are still growing/strengthening. I'm a bit apprehensive with my left knee when squatting, which hopefully isn't affecting depth - hard to tell. In the past, I had bad knee pain from bad form; knees too far in front of toes. I've reviewed all the videos and cues, and I'm leading by bringing my hips back while keeping my knees stable ( not past toes) with a 45degree back angle. So far so good. No knee pain. Each rep I'm psyching myself out, expecting it to hurt.

It's funny. I suppose some reasonable goals for the lifts in the future (for me) would be 135 for press, 315 for bench, 405 for squat, and 495 DL. With how heavy squats feel right now (the others aren't bad), it's hard to even imagine moving more than twice this amount. That's what is really impressive when lifters commit to gaining strength and reach those PRs. Sure, comes easier for some. But, for a 5-11 200 pounder like me, these numbers should be attainable. I am moving up by 10 on the squat and DL right now. Probably have to drop to 5, and even micro, at some point.

starting strength coach development program
    Latest:

Squat= 200, 3x5
    Press= 90, 3x5
    Bench= 120, 3x5
    DL= 270, 1x5

Haven't missed any workouts, but I'm struggling with squats and 1 day I couldn't get my DL work set. I dropped back 10% on my squat weight and haven't had an issue. Squatting sub 225 and having it feel super heavy seems ridiculous. I should feel much stronger than that. I'm 5-11 225 right now. Perhaps 45 has something to do with it. Busted out the knee sleeves and have a 3" belt on the way, so that will perhaps help. Dropped the weights to 5 pounds more per workout for squat and DL. I've been eating well, and a lot, but not tracking, so I'll have to put that under the microscope. Also, and this sucks....but I think I'm going to have to ditch coffee. Which is a hobby and something I LOVE. Buy fresh beans, grind and pour over each cup, love cold brew. BUT!!!! Besides being a slight bowel and bladder irritant, it does interfere with my appetite and sleep to a degree. Plus while I love the mental focus and energy, it does grind on my CNS. I want to feel strong and stable as the weight is going to start going up and I have a hunch my coffee habit is interfering with this. For strength, concessions must be made.
    Last edited by Tectonic; 09-10-2022 at 11:07 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast