Thread: 36 YO Roiling Mass of Flesh Starting Strength

Default 36 YO Roiling Mass of Flesh Starting Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Male
    Height: 6'0''
    Starting Weight: 354.2
    Previous Training/Lifestyle: Sedentary computer work, no sports background.

Starting resistance training and cleaning up my diet, finally decided it was better to live in the physical world than the digital. No trainers in my town (and I'm weak as heck), so starting with minimal weight on the bar to be safe, since I've seen multiple places that people get themselves in trouble with these programs by starting off too heavy, since untrained folks aren't good judges of appropriate difficulty level. Deadlift I started up twenty pounds because the gym had two 10 pound thin plates that were the same height as 45s, so would give it the correct starting position. Decided posting here would give me some accountability push to stay on target.

7/26/2022:
    Squat: 45 3x5
    Press: 45 3x5
    Deadlift: 65 1x5

7/28/2022:
    Squat: 55 3x5
    Bench: 45 3x5
    Deadlift: 85 1x5

7/30/2022:
    Squat: 65 3x5
    Press: 55 3x5
    Deadlift: 105 1x5

Great start! Most likely too light, as you've noticed, but it's better than sitting around. You'll find that the most important thing is to stay consistent.

Keep at it!

good stuff, keep at it nice and slow and just Go By The Book and you'll be very happy

Have you checked the coaches section here for gyms and SS instructors? If all else fails try online coaching. There are lifters and coaches who have been on a program to lose weight as they gained strength. Dietary guidance could be quite useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Great start! Most likely too light, as you've noticed, but it's better than sitting around. You'll find that the most important thing is to stay consistent.

Keep at it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    good stuff, keep at it nice and slow and just Go By The Book and you'll be very happy
    Thanks for the encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Have you checked the coaches section here for gyms and SS instructors? If all else fails try online coaching. There are lifters and coaches who have been on a program to lose weight as they gained strength. Dietary guidance could be quite useful.
    I'll take a look into it, thanks for the direction. Just dialed back to plain meat+milk+fruit+veg the past week. Pizza sings its siren song in the distance.

8/2:
    Weight: 351
    Squat: 75 3x5
    Bench: 55 3x5
    Deadlift: 125 1x5
    Last edited by Isawa_Chuckles; 08-04-2022 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Forgot to put sets/reps

10/10. This makes me very happy. Just stick with it man

Gym owner says he'll talk to somebody about helping out with learning the Clean safely when the Deadlift starts getting too taxing to do every time.

8/4
    Weight: 350.6
    Squat: 85 3x5
    Press: 65 3x5
    Deadlift: 145 1x5

8/6
    Weight: 352.6
    Squat: 95 3x5
    Bench: 65 3x5
    Deadlift: 165 1x5

Met the gym owner's contact and they're going to start helping me with learning the basic Clean form next week. Enjoying things so far, feels like I could probably increase the squat in larger increments, but not need to rush things too much.
    8/8
    Weight: 351.4
    Squat: 105 3x5
    Press: 75 3x5
    Deadlift: 185 1x5

starting strength coach development program
    Good stuff man. Don't be afraid to pop a video on the technique forum either if you find yourself stalling on a lift. It's done worlds of good for me.

If I may, do not weigh yourself this frequently. It's probably more productive to focus on the numbers on your lifts going up.
    Weigh yourself once a week, at the same time, under the same conditions.

I like Monday morning after I take a shit, and before I have breakfast. Keeping the number of things that can influence the weight to a minimum help show you actual change. The amount of food eaten, water consumed, physical exertion, stress level of the day. etc... can all affect your weight. I've had my weigh fluctuate by ten pounds before/after a workout.

The weight will get where it needs to be if you keep showing up. You've got this brother.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast