starting strength gym
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: hewmon's huffing and puffing - Starting Strength Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Good to hear that it's working out for you (yep, I see WIDT).

Re: deads. You might be able to get away with it. Enjoy your weekend break, then next session consider doing your normal warmup, followed by a single at your next planned work weight (175lbs). If that single feels similar to how it did today, throw on another 10-15lbs and do that x5 as your workset. If that warmup single feels like a struggle, take a solid break (5+ minutes), then pull that 175x5. This is the only time in your training from here on out that you can embrace being a bit greedy, based on feel.**

To illustrate, let's say that that 175x1 feels fantastic and you decide to go for it. If that's your 90% warmup single, that works out to 195lbs for your workset (really, 194.4, but you aren't working with fractionals yet). You likely could pull that, but I do understand your concerns, which would likely play in your mind and impact your x5. So drop 5-10lbs from there.

It seems like a huge jump, but it really isn't, considering your background (not a couch potato) and the fact that you've started these so conservatively. If you pull 195x5, that's still only a 30lb gap between your squat and deadlift. After that, if you stick with +5lbs for the squat and +10lbs for the deadlift for a while, you'll still get into that 50-100lb window comfortably. Chances are you'll make it to 250lbs for the deadlift before you have to start making +5lb jumps.

ETA: Your "progressively easier" comment could be tied to your +17lbs of BW in two weeks. It's amazing what that extra muscle mass (with a bit of fat) will do!

**obligatory "I'm not a coach" comment. But I've been around here long enough to see this play out, not just in myself, but in others (see those forum discussions on the Artificially Weak Deadlift). Start to think of your squat and deadlift being interdependent, since they both rely on so many of the same large muscles. Because of that, you can run your deadlift up pretty high while letting your squat lag, during which time your squat will actually get stronger because of the deadlift work. Conversely, let your deadlift lag while running up your squat and your deadlift will stall, even regress. It's an odd thing that will become more obvious to you when both lifts are 100-150lbs heavier than they are now. Based on your description of how your 165x5 felt and the likely bar speed based on that, that would be enough to prompt a coach to program more than +10lbs for your next workout.

Keep at it!
    Did what you suggested for the deads, and it went very easily. See the workout below. Thanks!

Aug 21, 2022

Weight: 206 lbs
    Waist: 40 inches (at the belly button)

Given fluctuations in how much food I have in me at any given time I likely have not really lost or gained weight in the last week. Although I would bet some of the fat I put on has been converted to muscle. I may need to re-up the total calories some what, however, as I have been finding it a little more difficult to down solid food when I feel full. Liquid, like milk, is easy, so I may bump it up. But not to full GOMAD.

My workout.

Squat: 3x5 165
    Press: 3x5 100
    Dead: 1x5 185

Yet again deads were by far the easiest lift. I followed Bill's suggestion above to try 1 rep at 175 and decide. I felt fine, so I upped it to 185. What surprised me was how easily I powered through all 5. There is a world of difference to when I compare it to how I felt after the very first time I did 5 at 135 less than 3 weeks ago. Next are my two rest days, and then back at it on Wednesday - My workout days are: Wed, Fri, Sun, because of my work schedule. Again, here's hoping I can keep this progress up for a while.

Great to hear! You may be able to do that once or twice more before settling down to a more normal +10lb jump.

Keep at it!

wed/fri/sun is a good schedule (i'm tues night/fri am/sun am fwiw)

I do my heavy deadlift work on the friday, so I have the advantage of the 2 days rest ahead of it; as your weights climb you may want to consider how to use you extra-rest workout, for you that's weds, to its best advantage

Great advice from Mr B, hewmon. You're a ways away from that right now, but something to keep in the back of your mind.

Keep running that deadlift up. Eventually you'll have to add a light pull day on your Fridays—light deadlift or power cleans, if you're so inclined (I really like them, having had an athletic background)—but keep at your basic NLP programming right now. That's where you'll get the most bang for your buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    wed/fri/sun is a good schedule (i'm tues night/fri am/sun am fwiw)

I do my heavy deadlift work on the friday, so I have the advantage of the 2 days rest ahead of it; as your weights climb you may want to consider how to use you extra-rest workout, for you that's weds, to its best advantage
    I was listening to Nick Delgadillo's older youtube Q&A about getting unstuck on Press and Bench Press, and he was saying people likely need to move to intermediate programming for press first. He had a number of useful ways of approaching it. Primarily not reducing weight, but doing triples or singles instead of fives. Also doing an extra press every two weeks (4 instead of 3). I'm not there yet, but yes I can tell press will likely be the first to get stuck. When it does I'll try some of what Delgadillo suggests (along with reviewing other advice on the forums).

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Great advice from Mr B, hewmon. You're a ways away from that right now, but something to keep in the back of your mind.

Keep running that deadlift up. Eventually you'll have to add a light pull day on your Fridays—light deadlift or power cleans, if you're so inclined (I really like them, having had an athletic background)—but keep at your basic NLP programming right now. That's where you'll get the most bang for your buck.
    I did another 20 lbs jump, so we'll see if I can do another on Friday. I am on the fence about power cleans primarily because of the jump and the impact. My ankles, especially the left one, has had problems in the past. It's why I don't do any running. I will think about it. But yes for now, I want to keep pushing up my deadlift.

Aug 24, 2022

Today's workout

Squat: 3x5 @ 170
    Bench Press: 3x5 @ 125
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 205

Squat felt the most difficult again, although no problems. Bench went fine. Deads were a little more work this time, but I also started my warmups at 135. I had previously been starting my warmups at 95. I will again try the same procedure with my deads on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by hewmon View Post
    But yes for the rest of eternity, I want to keep pushing up my deadlift.
    fixed that for you

starting strength coach development program
    I was listening to Nick Delgadillo's older youtube Q&A about getting unstuck on Press and Bench Press, and he was saying people likely need to move to intermediate programming for press first. He had a number of useful ways of approaching it. Primarily not reducing weight, but doing triples or singles instead of fives. Also doing an extra press every two weeks (4 instead of 3). I'm not there yet, but yes I can tell press will likely be the first to get stuck. When it does I'll try some of what Delgadillo suggests (along with reviewing other advice on the forums).
    The press will absolutely be the first that will stick for you. Because it's the first that sticks for everyone, unless there's some other physical issue going on. Watch and re-watch that video, taking oodles and oodles of notes. Then be prepared for when it happens at XXXlbs (I'm not filling that in so that you start fixating on a number, but it's that common). Seriously, that video was a game changer for many of us who floundered in the press doldrums. You'll get to sail right around those doldrums, and we'll be cheering!

I did another 20 lbs jump, so we'll see if I can do another on Friday. I am on the fence about power cleans primarily because of the jump and the impact. My ankles, especially the left one, has had problems in the past. It's why I don't do any running. I will think about it. But yes for now, I want to keep pushing up my deadlift.
    If you've had ankle problems, then don't do them unless you get coached in person. I really enjoy the cleans, but I don't have any old injuries to contend with. Light deadlifts will be the way to go to run up your NLP, then variations once you get into intermediate programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    fixed that for you
    This is the way.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast