starting strength gym
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: hewmon's huffing and puffing - Starting Strength Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    aw geesh, well like a cold we're all getting it now. hope you all feel better soon

Sept 21, 2022

Squat: 3x5 @ 190
    Press: 1x5, 1x3, 1x5, 1x3 @ 115
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 245

So I am mostly recovered from covid. Still have some congestion and a cough, but my energy levels are closer to normal now. I felt well enough to workout, but I dropped weight just in case there were lingering effects. The workout went mostly well. I failed on the 2nd set of presses, but that was definitely due to form this time. I felt the bar too far forward. It's nice to start to get back into the gym, and I'm glad I don't seem to be any covid related issues so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    aw geesh, well like a cold we're all getting it now. hope you all feel better soon
    Thanks, yeah covid's endemic now. I'm not sure if that is the first time I've had it. It hit me and my wife pretty hard, although relatively briefly. In fact, my wife hasn't been sick in a long time. My daughter just had a runny nose and sore throat. She was definitely our patient zero. Then my son got it. He had a fever, slept a lot and bounced back fast. So I'm glad it wasn't worse.

Sept 23, 2022

Squat: 3x5 @ 195
    Bench: 1x5, 1x4 @ 160 1x4 @155
    Deadlift: 1x5 @250

Well it looks like covid did have an impact on my strength level. I was last able to bench 160 for 3x5, so the combination of being sick, and not being able to eat very much while I was sick had an impact. I'm just glad it didn't impact me more. I'll try 155 my next bench day next Wednesday.

Sept 25, 2022

Squat: 3x5 @ 200
    Press: 3x5 @ 115
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 255

I felt closer to normal today, but it turns out the kids brought home yet another cold or flu. It didn't affect me as much this time, but both of my kids and wife are sick.

As for the workout I felt a lot better today than I have the last few weeks.

Sept 28, 2022

Squat: 3x5 @ 205
    Bench: 3x5 @ 155
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 260

I didn't sleep well, so my 6 am workout was harder to get up for. All the lifts went well. Although I did allow extra time between my bench work sets (4 min then 5 min). I'm writing this the day after the workout. After the workout (and after work) I was quite tired and slept early and ended up getting close to 11 hours of sleep. DOMS aren't too bad today.

I am thinking about alternating deadlifts with lat pulls (chin-up hand position) to give myself some more recovery. But I would like to hit 300 lbs on my deadlift before I do that. I'll just have to keep a close eye on how I feel. With covid and the colds it's been hard to know how much fatigue is due to my taxed immune system, and how much is due to needing more recovery time from working out.

"all lifts went well" is a sign you're on the right path. Slow and steady, and give yourself time for recovery

Sept 30, 2022

Squat: 3x5 @ 210
    Press: 3x5 @ 117.5
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 265

No issues. I was curious to see how the press would go, and I got all the work sets done. It was close on the last rep of the last set, but I locked it out. My deadlift is a little slow, because I'm focusing on form. I have to think about giving it some more speed. Although easier said than done as that weight continues to go up.

An amusing thing happened when I went grocery shopping after my workout. I lifted a case of carbonated water, and it felt so light I had to check it to make sure it wasn't missing any contents. It's nice to be experiencing some of the practical effects of greater strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    "all lifts went well" is a sign you're on the right path. Slow and steady, and give yourself time for recovery
    And eating enough, which was an extra challenge when not feeling well. But that seems to be back on track now too.

starting strength coach development program
    that's a track I've never stumbled off lol

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast