Thread: hewmon's huffing and puffing - Starting Strength Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Oct 2, 2022

Squat: 3x5 @ 215
    Bench: 3x5 @ 160
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 270

Not much to comment on with this one. Everything felt ok. I rested 5 min between my bench work sets. I generally only need 3 between my squat work sets. Now two days off and we'll see if I can complete all my work sets on the press at 120.

Oct 5, 2022

Squat: 3x5 @ 220
    Press: 2x5 @ 120, 1x4 @ 120, 1x1 @ 120
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 275

Failed on the last rep of the last press work set. Waited a minute and completed the final rep. The other lifts were fine. It's interesting now that the first deadlift rep on the work set is the hardest. Once I am moving it is considerably easier. In fact, it went better than I thought it would, which was a relief, because I did something to my ribs on the low back right side. They are painful to touch. I think I may have had my belt on too tight and too high my last workout and it pressed into my ribs. Although I didn't feel anything at the time.

As for the press I may stick with 120 until I can complete the three sets instead of upping the weight even fractionally.

Quote Originally Posted by hewmon View Post
    It's interesting now that the first deadlift rep on the work set is the hardest. Once I am moving it is considerably easier.
    That will become more common from here on out. Just remember "the first rep is a lie!" and not let it get into your head for the remaining reps.

As for the press I may stick with 120 until I can complete the three sets instead of upping the weight even fractionally.
    Before you do that, watch this — Press and Bench Press Programming – Getting and Staying Unstuck. You're getting into that range where your press is going to stall. It does for all of us. Give that 120x3x5 one more try, but make sure that you sleep and eat very well going into it, perhaps even extending your rest period a minute or so. If it sticks again, start following Nick's guidance that he lays out in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    That will become more common from here on out. Just remember "the first rep is a lie!" and not let it get into your head for the remaining reps.

Before you do that, watch this — Press and Bench Press Programming – Getting and Staying Unstuck. You're getting into that range where your press is going to stall. It does for all of us. Give that 120x3x5 one more try, but make sure that you sleep and eat very well going into it, perhaps even extending your rest period a minute or so. If it sticks again, start following Nick's guidance that he lays out in the video.
    Thanks, yeah I've watched that one, and that's why I waited a minute and did the final rep to get to the total tonnage. But yeah, if I stick again, I will start doing some of the variations Nick suggests. I just also have to be careful of time, because Wednesday and Friday I have to be at work right after my workout. My rest times between upper body work sets and before my deadlift work set are all around 4 to 5 min now. Even with doing my warm up sets for the next exercise during work set rest periods I'm still at the gym between 90 to 105 minutes.

Luckily my next press day is Sunday, so I won't have to worry about getting to work, and I can take my time.

because I did something to my ribs on the low back right side. They are painful to touch. I think I may have had my belt on too tight and too high my last workout and it pressed into my ribs. Although I didn't feel anything at the time.
    yep, done that. not fun, and took forever to feel better.

Oct 7, 2022

Squat: 3x5 @ 225
    Bench: 1x4 @ 165, 1x3 @ 155, 1x5 @ 135
    Deadlift: no work set just the warmup sets, which are 2x5 @ 135, 1x5 @ 175, 1x3 @ 210, 1x2 @ 245

Yeah so today was something of a bust. The pain in my ribs on my right side has been affecting my sleep, and yesterday I sneezed and really aggravated the area. My squats went fine, but when I started the bench just laying down was quite painful. The warm up sets gradually got more painful in my ribs as the weight increased and I couldn't finish the first work set. I dropped the weight to 155, but still the pain was pretty bad. I was able to complete 5 at 135, which is also my final warm up set weight for bench. Unfortunately, I also then developed a bad cramp in my right glute and the right side of my low back. I went through my deadlift warm up but the cramping got worse, so I decided not to do the work set. I was concerned it would cause an imbalance that might create a rotational force on my spine. In addition, the final warm up felt off.

It's been a couple of hours since my workout as I write this. The cramping went away relatively quickly, but the pain in my ribs is still there, and likely to be for a while. I may try taking a painkiller an hour or so before my next workout. In the meantime I will try to get as much rest as I can manage, and try to avoid doing any sneezing or coughing, because that definitely seems to makes the rib pain worse.

yeah, there's no easy way to stop rib pain.

well, other than not breathing

honestly I'd just do light workouts, up to the point where you'd normally wear a belt and that's it it just takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    yeah, there's no easy way to stop rib pain.

well, other than not breathing

honestly I'd just do light workouts, up to the point where you'd normally wear a belt and that's it it just takes time.
    I've been trying to avoid coughing and especially sneezing, because it really seems to aggravate it. It seems to be upper body lifts, the bench and press, that are painful. Squats and deads are pretty much ok, other than a twinge during the heaviest part of the lift. I just have to be more careful with my belt, it is odd that it is only on my right side. I wish I knew specifically what I did to cause it, so I can avoid doing it again.

Oct 9, 2022

Squat: 3x5 @ 225
    Press: 1x4 @ 120, 1x3 @ 115
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 280

I didn't increase the squat, because I didn't do the deadlift work set last workout. The press was a bust. The pain was too much for the work sets. I tried because my ribs were feeling somewhat better, but the lift aggravated the area. I wasn't then sure about deads, but when I did my warm-up sets it seemed fine, so I did the work set. It was ok. I probably did the set too slowly, and it was a little shaky. I was also quite low energy this workout. I didn't eat enough the day before, and my sleep could have been better. So, I'm happy I finished the deads. I'm writing this the day after, and my ribs are very slowly getting better.

starting strength coach development program
    Oct 12, 2022

Squat: 3x5 @ 230
    Bench: 3x5 @ 160
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 285

Rib pain is still there, but I was able to do all the lifts without the pain stopping me, even bench. I am resting 4 to 5 min between work sets. I think Press is the hardest with the rib pain, so it will be interesting to see how it feels on Friday. I just hope it isn't aggravated. I will try 120 again for my Press work sets.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast