Thread: hewmon's huffing and puffing - Starting Strength Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Oct 14, 2022

Squat: 3x5 @ 235
    Press: 1x4 @ 120, 1x4 @ 115, 1x5 @ 115
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 290

The rib pain interfered with the press at 120. I aggravated it only slightly this time though. The other lifts were fine, although the deadlift is feeling heavy. It'll be interesting to see if I can complete all the work sets at 165 with the bench on Sunday.

keep taking it slow brother! rib soreness as you are discovering is maddeningly persistent...

Oct 17, 2022

Decided to give myself some extra recovery time, so I didn't workout today. My knees and glutes were particularly sore. So much so I had a hard time getting up from a sitting position on the floor when I was playing with my kids the day after my Oct 14 work out. The Sunday was somewhat better, but I also didn't sleep well, so I decided to take the extra rest.

Oct 19, 2022

Squat: 3x5 @ 240
    Bench: 3x5 @ 165
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 295

No issues with the lifts. Deadlifts were definitely the hardest. I'm considering alternating chin-up style lat pulls for the deadlift on my press days. The rib pain is still nagging. It a very slow repair. I kick boxed as a kid, and I don't remember any body shots to the ribs taking this long to heal. Then again I never fought a real heavy hitter. I'm looking forward to the rib pain being gone so I can sleep on my sides again. I've had to stay just on my back, and it hasn't helped my sleep.

Oct 21, 2022

Squat: 3x5 @ 240
    Press: 3x5 @ 120
    Lat Pulls: 3x8 @ 140

Got through all the work sets without issue. Decided to start alternating lat pulls with the deadlift, based on the workouts in Barbell Prescription. I may also just move to an advanced masters with deads once per week and a light squat on that day. In addition, I'll just increase squat weight once per week, so kind of like a Heavy Light Medium program.

Oct 23, 2022

Squat: 3x5 @ 245
    Bench: 3x5 @ 170
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 300

It was close on bench to complete the final five. Once I started deads I wasn't paying close attention and put 330 on the bar for my final warmup set (2 extra 35 plates). I was wondering why it wasn't coming off the ground. After a few tries I looked at the plates and realized my mistake. Luckily I didn't hurt myself. The work set felt heavy, and struggling to lift the 330 probably didn't help.

I'm thinking I will go to the advanced masters novice from Barbell Prescription where I am PR-ing once per week on squats with a squat light day on my deads day. Deads would be once per week with lat pulls on the other two days.

Oct 26, 2022

Squat: 3x5 @ 250
    Press: 3x5 @ 122.5
    Lat Pull: 3x10 @ 140

I had slightly more than average soreness in the morning. The lifts all went well, although the last press was close. I'm going to start some grip assistance exercises, particularly pinch grip to help with deadlift grip. I've also got some figure-8 wrist wraps on the way. I forgot to mention that my grip felt a little loose for my last deadlift. That said, now that I have started the lat pulls, they should help with grip, because they definitely work the forearms.

Oct 30, 2022

I got almost no sleep Thursday night, so I didn't workout Friday and moved it to Sunday instead.

Light Squat: 3x5 @ 215
    Bench: 3x5 @ 175
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 305

No issues with the lifts. Although with the amount of rest I am now taking between work sets I am going to need to move to a split schedule to have any hope of making it to work on time and completing a workout. I have to workout in the morning, and my gym doesn't open until 6 am, and I start work at 8 am. I'll probably start with a Texas Method 4-day split (from Barbell Prescription) with alternating intensity/volume days of Press 1x5 (Intensity)/Bench 5x5 (Volume) and then 3 days later Bench 1x5 (Intensity)/Press 5x5 (Volume). Deadlifts will be once per week on Intensity day (also for Squats), which will be the last workout of the weekly cycle. I'm not doing any other training, so I hope this won't be too much. If it is, I'll modify as needed.

Nov 2, 2022

Press: 1x5 @ 125
    Bench: 5x5 @ 160
    Lat Pull: 3x8 @ 160

Starting the Texas Method 4-day split. It is saving some time. About 30 to 40 minutes. The lifts went fine. Today was a mix intensity/volume day for press/bench.

starting strength coach development program
    Nov 3, 2022

Squat: 5x5 @ 225

Volume day for squats. Shorter by about 1 hour. No issues.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast