starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LiftHeavy4Life Log: Trying to hit new PRs in ever major barbell lift

Default LiftHeavy4Life Log: Trying to hit new PRs in ever major barbell lift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just finished Session 3 of the NLP. I'm currently at 181lbs.

Squat: 255x5
    Bench Press: 170x5
    Deadlift: 270X5
    OHP: 150X5
    Power Clean: 100X3. I'm currently doing a squat clean because for I've trained that before, and I don't know how to shift it into a power clean.

Goals

450 1RM for deadlift
    400 1RM for squat
    270 1RM for BP
    181 1RM for OHP
    have a clean that doesn't look like hot garbage

Previous PRs at 179lbs

400lbs 1RM for deadlift
    375lbs 1RM for squat
    205 1RM for BP
    137.5 4RM for OHP
    ????? for clean

Will be putting up some videos to have all my lifts reviewed.

Welcome to the log!

Good idea about having your lifts reviewed.
    If I may, what is your age and height?

Your deadlift is only 15lbs heavier than your squat, and your clean is much less than 50% of your deadlift, and your bench is only 20lbs heavier than your press. Often times this is due to technique problems keeping the weights artificially low or starting the NLP too light (but it depends on your age as well)
    Learning the Power Clean by yourself can be a pain in the ass, but it can be done.
    You gotta follow the instructions in the SS youtube videos and just accumulate as many good reps as possible, eventually it'll get better.
    This is part 1 of 5:
    Power Clean Series Part 1 - Learning the Three Positions - YouTube

Expect Rip and others to tell you to gain weight, regardless of age or height.

Enjoy your training and DTP!

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Welcome to the log!

Good idea about having your lifts reviewed.
    If I may, what is your age and height?

Your deadlift is only 15lbs heavier than your squat, and your clean is much less than 50% of your deadlift, and your bench is only 20lbs heavier than your press. Often times this is due to technique problems keeping the weights artificially low or starting the NLP too light (but it depends on your age as well)
    Learning the Power Clean by yourself can be a pain in the ass, but it can be done.
    You gotta follow the instructions in the SS youtube videos and just accumulate as many good reps as possible, eventually it'll get better.
    This is part 1 of 5:
    Power Clean Series Part 1 - Learning the Three Positions - YouTube

Expect Rip and others to tell you to gain weight, regardless of age or height.

Enjoy your training and DTP!
    Thank you for the advice and information. 'preciate it!

Session 4 done

Squat: 260lbs 5x5
    Press: 120lbs 5x5
    Power Clean: 105lbs 3x5

Squat is feeling good, but I'm noticing that I'm having some tightness in the left IT band. Anyone know what causes that?

Clean is feeling much better. Realized that the power clear is easier than the squat clean, as I don't have to drop as low and get under the bar as quick. However, when I'm getting fatigued, I revert back to the squat clean. Not sure why. I'm going to add 15lbs next session and see how it goes.

Press is starting to feel heavy at the 5th rep. Going to add 5lbs again next time and see what happens, but may have to revert to adding 2.5lbs if I fail.
    Last edited by liftheavy4life; 08-10-2022 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liftheavy4life View Post
    Thank you for the advice and information. 'preciate it!

Session 4 done

Squat: 260lbs 5x5
    Press: 120lbs 5x5
    Power Clean: 105lbs 3x5

Squat is feeling good, but I'm noticing that I'm having some tightness in the left IT band. Anyone know what causes that?

Clean is feeling much better. Realized that the power clear is easier than the squat clean, as I don't have to drop as low and get under the bar as quick. However, when I'm getting fatigued, I revert back to the squat clean. Not sure why. I'm going to add 15lbs next session and see how it goes.

Press is starting to feel heavy at the 5th rep. Going to add 5lbs again next time and see what happens, but may have to revert to adding 2.5lbs if I fail.
    Sorry to be a dick but, this is not the program.
    Mabye you have mistaken the NLP with the Texas Method?
    NLP is 3 sets of 5 reps on all lifts except 1 set on the deadlift and 5 sets of 3 on the power clean.
    You don't make 15lbs jumps on the clean or 5lbs jumps on the press. Especially if you're 181lbs, unless you're 5"3'.

Any problem you are experiencing is due to you not doing the actual program.

Look at this video:
    What Is The Starting Strength Novice Progression ? - YouTube

And read the article by Rip called "A Clarification".

It's better to stop you in your tracks now before you waste 3 months not making progress.

Sorry to be a dick but, this is not the program.
    Mabye you have mistaken the NLP with the Texas Method?
    NLP is 3 sets of 5 reps on all lifts except 1 set on the deadlift and 5 sets of 3 on the power clean.
    You don't make 15lbs jumps on the clean or 5lbs jumps on the press. Especially if you're 181lbs, unless you're 5"3'.

Any problem you are experiencing is due to you not doing the actual program.

Look at this video:
    What Is The Starting Strength Novice Progression ? - YouTube

And read the article by Rip called "A Clarification".

It's better to stop you in your tracks now before you waste 3 months not making progress.
    Whoops! I meant 3x5. Wasn't paying attention when I typed those numbers in. Am I taking too big jumps or too little jumps? I have a consultation this month with SS. I'm going to get an online coach to help me out!

Whoops! I meant 3x5. Wasn't paying attention when I typed those numbers in. Am I taking too big jumps or too little jumps? I have a consultation this month with SS. I'm going to get an online coach to help me out!
    My bad then!
    I think there are probably a bunch of things to fix, which is totally normal. Your consultation with an SSC should solve most of your problems!

Rip is not going to like this, but I was bored today, so I did some bro lifting:

Lat pulldown: 105lbs 3x12
    Superset Bicep Curl and Triceps Overhead Extension (both with EZ Curl): 67.5lbs - 3x12 each exercise
    Farmers Carry: 110lbs in each hand - 3 x ~55 feet
    Ab wheel: 15 reps X 4 sets in 10 min (timed)

I'm so used to going 6 days a week that I feel weird not getting exercise in on the off days for NLP. How much will this hurt my gains?

My bad then!
    I think there are probably a bunch of things to fix, which is totally normal. Your consultation with an SSC should solve most of your problems!
    You have a lot of knowledge. Are you a coach?

You have a lot of knowledge. Are you a coach?
    It's my aspiration, but I am far away from it.
    I discovered Starting Strength 3 years ago, and I've done a bunch of mistakes, same ones everyone does at first.
    Like, for example, doing "bro lifting" ahaha
    DO THE PROGRAM. There are now tens of thousands of people who have done it exactly as it is written in the book, and have gotten very strong. Don't be impatient, and you will have the quickest results you ever saw.

starting strength coach development program
    It's my aspiration, but I am far away from it.
    I discovered Starting Strength 3 years ago, and I've done a bunch of mistakes, same ones everyone does at first.
    Like, for example, doing "bro lifting" ahaha
    DO THE PROGRAM. There are now tens of thousands of people who have done it exactly as it is written in the book, and have gotten very strong. Don't be impatient, and you will have the quickest results you ever saw.
    Man, good luck with the certification. You seem to know what you're talking about, so I assume it will happen. IMO, the SS certification is the most valuable one in fitness. It's backed by Rip's perfectionism and knowledge. I previously had two "trainers" and they both sucked. Lot of garbage out there.

Session 5
    Squat: 265lbs 3x5
    BP: 172.5 3x5
    Deadlift 280 1x5

I started filming myself today.

On the squat, I had my thumb around the bar. I know the SS method is to have the thumb on top of the bar. I tried it, but for some reason, it really hurt my elbow. Not sure why. Something to talk to a SS about. Also noticed my head bouncing like a fucking gopher in the hole. Trying to correct that.

On the bench, I only went up by 2.5lb rather than 5lbs. My elbow was hurting from the squat. Felt heavy, but got it done. Noticed the bar moving around too much on the ascent.

The deadlift remains my best lift, but noticed my knees caving a bit on the later reps.

Good thing I'm getting a SS coach soon. Too many problems to fix on my own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast