starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training for health and tone

Default Training for health and tone

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,
    I decided to register and keep a journal in this forum. I don't train with the SS methods, but I still like the MR community, so I'll enjoy it.
    I am 49 years old and I used to work out when I was younger. At the moment, I'm training again, but in a way that brings me pleasure.
    Excuse my bad English, it's not my native language.
    I will describe my last three workouts.

09/06/2022

SQ-4x40, 4x60, 4x4x70;
    BP-4x40, 4x60, 4x70, 4x4x80;
    BBRows-4x40, 4x60, 4x80, 4x4x85.

09/08/2022

Shoulder Press-10x20, 5x30, 3x40, 4x4x45, 1x50;
    DL-5x40, 5x60, 5x80, 4x4x90;
    Dumbbell Curl-1x12x12.5 (L+R).

09/10/2022

SQ-4x40, 3x50, 2x60, 4x4x72.5;
    BP-4x40, 4x50, 4x60, 2x70, 1x80, 4x4x82.5;
    BBRows-10x40, 10x50, 10x70, 10x70, 12x70.

I feel like if I start increasing the weight of the Rows I will have lower back strain. I have strength, but I don’t think it makes sense to overexert myself. Because of this, I might be better off making more pieces with a lighter weight.

Welcome! Is there a reason that you aren't using the SS method?

The reason is that I don't want to SQ every workout. I also don't want to increase the weight in every workout. I will hit the wall very quickly, even though the weights I lift in the SQ and DL meet beginner standards. Apart from that, I have some health problems that make me afraid to put in extreme efforts. Otherwise, I have serious imbalances - I can do a BBRow with 100-110 kg, but I can barely lift 130 kg. DL. My Bench Press is 100-105 kg. right now but I can't SQ 100kg. with sufficient depth. I must not have tried hard enough. I tried Madcow 5x5 once and when it came time to increase the weights I was done very quickly. The SQ and DL hit the wall first.

Please let us know when you finally read the books and figure out that you can and should do Starting Strength and all your problems are created by your current way of training.
    You aren't training for pleasure, man. You are just exercising in an effortless and random way.

If you don't like my answer, try showing this to MR himself and see if you have better luck.

Alternating Squat, Bench Press and BBRow in one workout and Shoulder press and Deadlift in the other is not a random way of training.
    I don't know how easy it is with 4x4 at 80% of 1RM. I'm just not that strong and that's why the weights are the way they are.
    Something deleted my post, but I had written that it is not optimal to apply SS at this time. At least because I want to lose at least 30 pounds and I'm in a caloric deficit.
    Because I'm fat. And you probably know that the fatter you are, the more you gain fat and not muscle.
    Apart from that, due to health restrictions, I can't max out Squats and Deadlifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dydo View Post
    Alternating Squat, Bench Press and BBRow in one workout and Shoulder press and Deadlift in the other is not a random way of training.
    I don't know how easy it is with 4x4 at 80% of 1RM. I'm just not that strong and that's why the weights are the way they are.
    Something deleted my post, but I had written that it is not optimal to apply SS at this time. At least because I want to lose at least 30 pounds and I'm in a caloric deficit.
    Because I'm fat. And you probably know that the fatter you are, the more you gain fat and not muscle.
    Apart from that, due to health restrictions, I can't max out Squats and Deadlifts.
    Yep, you got some reading to do

Dude, I understand your desire to help /you must be a good person/ but you know nothing about me. From three of my described workouts and a bit of additional information I've given you already form an opinion on what I should and shouldn't do. What I shouldn't do are exercises that strain the abdominal wall. Holding the breath accompanied by exertion is the first thing that is prohibited. Which means I can't squat and deadlift with heavy weights. It is even recommended not to do these exercises at all. However, because I feel well, I have not stopped these exercises, but you say that I have not made an effort. How did you figure it out so quickly when you don't know who I am and what I'm like. Don't be a fortune teller.
    SS may be a great program, but it's not the only one you should be doing if you want to get healthy and strong.
    And yes, I am familiar with SS and MR's advice on training, nutrition and recovery.
    Thanks for your concern though.
    Oops, I was going to forget. Maybe if a person does not train according to the SS method, there is no place in this forum. If so, it's nice to know that right from the start.

I'm on my phone, so I'm not going to do quotes. But the subforum below this one is where non-starting strength logs would normally go.

You talk like you have a hernia, good luck with the training.

Quote Originally Posted by LJBass View Post
    I'm on my phone, so I'm not going to do quotes. But the subforum below this one is where non-starting strength logs would normally go.

You talk like you have a hernia, good luck with the training.
    I wrote to the moderator as I wanted my log to be in the general non-SS section.
    It's not a hernia, but a stupidity with which I have no problem under certain circumstances, but I don't want surgical intervention. It is said that the intervention is not complicated, but in some cases you are not well for more than two weeks, even up to a month.
    Anyway, I don't want to burden the audience.

starting strength coach development program
    Just something to clarify why I don't want to start SS. First, even if I buy the book, I don't speak English well. Entering forums and using a translator that immediately automatically translates what I wrote is one thing, but having a book is quite another. I don't actually know if it's electronic or paper. And there are so many questions for a person like me that there is a very high probability that I will mess something up and not run the program as prescribed. I've read a lot and see that quite a few people who are not complete beginners and have some experience with the exercises are confused even though they have the book. I may not be very strong, but I'm not an absolute novice and I don't know what weights to start with. With an empty bar, with 50, 70, 80% of my current 5 reps, etc. I am 49 years old and should I squat three times a week. I have excess fat to lose, I can't overeat. I am 178cm /5.83ft/ and weigh 106kg. /234 pounds/ And many more questions. I don't want to waste my time with a program that I may not start the right way or apply it correctly to my specifics.
    It's not that the program isn't good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast