starting strength gym
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting from less than zero

Default Starting from less than zero

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I first did SS in 2009-2010 with pretty good success. I've kept a few logs here over the years, but only my novice log was worth a damn. Since that time I've moved to the middle east. I've also just finished treatment for head and neck cancer. Hopefully, it's the only treatment I'll need, but I'll find out more information soon. I lost 60 pounds during treatment going from 198 pounds to 138 as the treatment made it extremely difficult to swallow. I've managed to put some weight back on. I'm at the point I feel well enough to train again. Eating is still not easy as my salivary glands are in bad shape.

Here are current stats:
    Age 49
    Height 5'10
    Weight 147 lbs

I'll be making some adjustments to the NLP. I do the Press seated on a flat bench. This has really helped my lower back. I have had many low back tweaks over the years. Switching to a seated Press has really helped. I also do not power clean. I'll be substituting with other pulls (rows, snatch grip DL, chins).

For reference, these were the results of my first run at SS NLP done over 4 months:

Age 37
    Bodyweight: from 176 to 211
    Squat: 145x5 to 300x5
    Deadlift: 255x5 to 355x5
    Press: 90x5 to 145x5
    Bench: 125x5 to 200x5

First workout post treatment

I was very conservative in finding my starting weights. After a layoff I typically get crippling DOMS in my abductors.

Squats
    85x5x3
    Not particularly difficult. However, the bar feels strange sitting on bone where it used to be muscle.

Seated Press
    65x5x3
    Reps were a little wobbly toward the end.

Deadlift
    135x5.
    Reps were relatively fast.

The workout was good. I'm hoping the recovery goes well.

Sept 14, 2022
    DOMS in my adductors was brutal, but was pretty much cleared up by today. While I am thankful to be back in the gym, it's quite a shock for such small weights to feel heavy.

Squat
    95x5x3

Bench press
    105x5x3

Deadlift
    145x5x1

Getting stronger to shove a middle finger into death's face, awesome! Welcome on board, again.

I have a question, what about liquid calories? Is that an option you considered? Could be helpful in quickly gaining weight back

That's a good point. I am using protein shakes, one to two a day. I'll mix with either water or milk depending on if I need the extra protein and calories or not. I think my next step is to start mixing in other ingredients (dry oatmeal, peanut butter) to really kick start the weight gain.

Quote Originally Posted by TartanEagle View Post
    That's a good point. I am using protein shakes, one to two a day. I'll mix with either water or milk depending on if I need the extra protein and calories or not. I think my next step is to start mixing in other ingredients (dry oatmeal, peanut butter) to really kick start the weight gain.
    Fruit and vegetables smoothies could be a good idea too, you can get your vitamins and fibers as well as carbs to fuel your training.

Your story is an inspiration. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Carson! I've done my best to keep a positive attitude throughout my treatment. It's been tough, but it's helped my family and friends to keep things as normal as possible.

NLP workout #3
    Squat 105x5x3
    Felt much more solid than workouts 1 and 2. I'm getting a better upper back shelf.

Press 70x5x3
    A little wobbly at the top, but I had good bar speed. Seated presses require more attention to stay balanced.

Deadlift 155x5
    Not much to note here. These moved well and it's much easier to get into the starting position since I lost so much weight. This is probably the only benefit, but I'll take it.

NLP #4
    I am moving workouts to early mornings before work. Up at 4 am in the garage gym at 4:30.

Squat
    115x5x3
    These moved well. I'm really working on the low bar position. I typically high bar squat, as I've never been able to solve the elbow pains that plague many of us. I've even had 2 different SSCs. High bar is fine, but I have always felt much stronger in the low bar position. I'll stick with it until the elbow pain starts up. Hopefully, it won't.

Bench Press
    115x5x3
    The first set felt heavy. The third set felt light. Better bracing and leg drive was the difference.

Deadlift
    165x5
    No issues here. I had to buy a new belt due to the weight loss. My regular belt is a 4", so I went with a 3" this time around so I can use it for deadlifts. It felt good, but it needs further breaking in.

starting strength coach development program
    NLP #5
    BW 153
    6 pounds gained!

Squat 125x5x3
    I'm continue to work on my low bar rack position. So far, so good. These moved well.

Press (seated)
    75x5x3
    Some reps were wobbly as I need to better brace myself. I got this sorted by the third set.

Deadlift 175x5
    No issues here.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast