• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Deadlift: 275lbs
    Squat: 260lbs
    Bench: 175lbs
    Press: 130lbs
    Power Clean: 110lbs
    Body weight: 187lbs

Hi, it’s my first time posting in the forum. I’ve been training in the gym for 10 years, but never attempted strength training before. I started SS after a 3month long layoff due to a hip injury, and have been training consistently since late July (with a 2-week break due to Covid).

I’ve seen great progress so far: squat went from 135lbs to 260lbs, deadlifts from 150lbs to 275lbs, press from 95lbs to 130lbs, and bench from 150lbs to 175lbs. Due to my hip injury I had to start light…Power cleans are still a new move for me, so I’m taking it slow (I started novice phase 2 a month ago).

My progress in squats and presses has started to slow down quite a bit, though. I’ve increased my bodyweight from 178lbs to 187lbs, and my rest periods from 3min to 4min. However, every workout feels like a grind, and my knees and low back need at least 2 days to recover. Is it time now for me to switch to novice phase 3? Should I just increase my rest periods even longer? or should I introduce a light squat day as in the advanced novice program?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by TurboKostas View Post
    Deadlift: 275lbs
    Squat: 260lbs
    Bench: 175lbs
    Press: 130lbs
    Power Clean: 110lbs
    Body weight: 187lbs

Hi, it’s my first time posting in the forum. I’ve been training in the gym for 10 years, but never attempted strength training before. I started SS after a 3month long layoff due to a hip injury, and have been training consistently since late July (with a 2-week break due to Covid).

I’ve seen great progress so far: squat went from 135lbs to 260lbs, deadlifts from 150lbs to 275lbs, press from 95lbs to 130lbs, and bench from 150lbs to 175lbs. Due to my hip injury I had to start light…Power cleans are still a new move for me, so I’m taking it slow (I started novice phase 2 a month ago).

My progress in squats and presses has started to slow down quite a bit, though. I’ve increased my bodyweight from 178lbs to 187lbs, and my rest periods from 3min to 4min. However, every workout feels like a grind, and my knees and low back need at least 2 days to recover. Is it time now for me to switch to novice phase 3? Should I just increase my rest periods even longer? or should I introduce a light squat day as in the advanced novice program?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Welcome!
    Definitely increase your rest time!
    What is your age and height?
    How much are you eating?

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Welcome!
    Definitely increase your rest time!
    What is your age and height?
    How much are you eating?
    I’m 33years old and 5’10 tall.
    I increased my calories to 3000-3500 per day and at least 200g of protein (used to eat around 2700 cal and 170gr of protein)

Glad to have you sir!

Put 500 more calories on that if you can.
    Increase your rest time and put a video of your squat in the technique section of the forum.
    If the increased rest time coupled with a little more food and a confirmation of sound squat technique isn't enough to get you recovered, then the light squat day is probably the solution.

My opinion isn't worth much. The knees shouldn't be a program issue, more likely a form issue. As for the lower back. I would notice my back feeling tired still the day of the next workout, by the last deadlift warmup I was really feeling it...several workouts later I couldn't sleep the night after deadlifting. I think this is because you are overtaxing the CNS. Then I would make the program change to add Cleans or Add Chins and deadlift every 5th workout in you case. I figured if I it was to the point I couldn't sleep, I damn sure wasn't going to recover.
    As for adding the light squat day... I waited until I failed a set.... Program calls for Wednesday Light day. I squat heavy every other workout so heavy squats and deads never hit the same day. Not program, just personal preference.
    If you are only resting 4 minutes... I think you have a lot in the tank before the light day comes into play. For me squats started to suck at 275... at 345 they suck about the same but they need done.

starting strength coach development program
    I guess you were right: I have quite a bit in the tank. By fixing my grip in the squat after consulting the book, I managed to squat 3x5x270lbs (felt like a grind but managed to do it). Press went up to 135lbs simply by fixing the grip and the bar path. Bench was a relatively easy 180lbs, and the deadlift at 290lbs.

Rest time of at least 4.5minutes was absolutely necessary for squat, deadlift, and press.