starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weak, Obese, and Doing the Program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Sensible people avoid the hook grip at all costs lol

If I may offer an alternate theory on the warm ups, as a committed deadliftophile, one can never do enough deads. The warmups you show, 1s and 2s, make sense when you are going for PR heavy singles, and I do some variation of that myself in that situation. You ain't in that situation. You're 22 and built like a hoss, and are working on building a good base of strength. For your next workout I would do sets of 5 across:

135 1x5, 185 1x5, 225 1x5, 275 1x5

and for the workout after that, say you add 5# add it every step of the way:

140 1x5, 190 1x5, 230 1x5, 280 1x5

and so on. That way your jumps in weight between each lift stay consistent, as you're only adding a 25#, then taking it off to add a 45#, then a 25#, etc. Makes the math process very simple.

But that's just me, keep at it, you're doing great.

I started double overhand, for a while. And once it starts to not work, it usually can work for a while until either going alternate (it's fine as long as you remember to not flex your bicep into an angle) or with straps.
    But then the warm-ups can still be done overhand, for a while. But at some point, the warmup of 3 reps and 2 reps before the worksets, that becomes too heavy for overhand. For those, I use the hook grip and can tolerate it. Yes it's painful, but it prevents the bar from rotating. And it you're lifting heavy, the bar will want to rotate with a lot of inertia.

So I found the hook grip to be perfect for the last two warm-up sets.

I'm not a coach or anything.

Today’s workout:

3x5 Squat @ 155
    3x5 Bench @ 120
    1x5 Deadlift @ 275

Bench felt a lot easier than my last workout @ 115. I spent a lot of time reviewing the book and paying special attention to my breathing this time, which is why I assume it felt stronger. I just made a post in the technique forum of this lift which is waiting to be uploaded.

Everything else felt great. Can’t wait to hit 2 and 3 plates on the other two lifts in a few short weeks!

Bench Form Check 11/12/22 - YouTube

Here’s a link to my bench from yesterday with 120lbs. If anyone has any critiques on my form, I’d love to hear them. I posted this in the technique forum as well.

Today’s workout:

3x5 Squat @ 165
    3x5 Press @ 80
    1x5 Deadlift @ 295

Squat felt great. I am going to continue adding 10lbs.

The press was tough but I got through it. I repeated the same weight because I missed reps last time. However, I payed extra special attention to my breathing and the rebound technique and it went up pretty good. I just posted a video in the technique forum, but I think it’s still waiting to be approved.

The deadlift is starting to get quite tough. I think I am going to start barbell rows on Saturday. I have been practicing power clean technique with the empty bar at the end of my workouts this past week in preparation for this moment and they really bother my wrists. I know it’s not ideal, but as a professional musician, I simply can’t afford to risk it.

Today’s workout:

3x5 Squat @ 175
    3x4/3/2 Bench @ 130
    2x3 Clean-Grip Deadlifts @ 220 (75% of my last workout)

Squat felt good, but I’m gonna reduce to 5lb jumps starting next week.

Loading up 130lbs for bench was a mistake. I only meant to do 127.5 but I left my micro plates at home. I got greedy and it was foolish. Lesson learned!

This was my first time introducing the “light deadlift” day. I’m not doing power cleans because of my elbow and wrist injuries. I focused on doing them as fast as possible. It seemed okay but I think I might exhaust myself soon. I may need to search for other alternatives in a few weeks.

I’m back. It has been a very inconsistent training period between hunting season, college finals, and the holidays. I did end up training a little bit after my last post, and ended up getting a 315lb Deadlift for 5 which felt great!

Today was my first day back in a little while and I am determined to be much more consistent this go around. I reset a little bit and am building back up.

Today’s Workout:
    BW: 309lbs
    3x5 Squat @ 185
    3x5 Press @ 75
    1x5 Deadlift @ 255
    Last edited by Cabinet133; 01-10-2023 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Accidentally entered wrong numbers

starting strength coach development program
    Today’s workout:

3x5 Squat @ 190
    3x5 Bench @ 95
    1x5 Deadlift @ 265

Went into today’s work out with extreme DOMS, but in true SS fashion, I added 5lbs and got to work. Squats were certainly a grind today. They were definitely approaching good morning territory. I will be filming a form check at my next work out with 195.

Been dealing with a lot of shoulder pain lately, so I went light on the bench. Also used a pretty narrow grip which helped a lot with the pain.

Today was my first day using chalk on the deadlift and what a difference it makes! Yes, I was weak as hell, but I used to use straps at 255+. Today, 265 flew up using chalk and mixed grip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12