starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weak, Obese, and Doing the Program

Default Weak, Obese, and Doing the Program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all. I am 22, male, 6’2”, 300lbs and have zero athletic background. I have been very sedentary almost my entire life. I finished week 2 of the program yesterday and love it. This may be controversial but I am actually not concerned with potentially gaining a little bit of weight in the name of strength, so I am trying to do the program as intended. I am not sure how often a case like this has happened in the past. I am shooting for 300g of protein and 3500cal/day. After a few months, I will reevaluate and adjust diet if necessary. That said, I have noticed increased vascularity in my arms and feeling great and more energetic throughout the day, although the number on the scale hasn’t really changed.

My starting lifts were:
    Squat: 3x5 @ 45 (yes, this was actually slow)
    Bench: 3x5 @ 90
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 185
    Press: 3x5 @ 45

As of yesterday, my latest lifts were:
    Squat: 3x5 @ 95
    Bench: 3x5 @ 110
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 255
    Press: 3x5 @ 70

I’m trying to do the program exactly, so I am not doing any assistance exercises at this time. I am still deadlifting every workout and I feel like I can continue doing this and adding +10lbs/workout for another week or so. When I can not do that any longer, I will be adding the power cleans and probably add some Lat Pulldowns and Band Chin-ups. I am going to drop down to 2.5lb jumps on the presses starting this week. Squat is still going up 10lbs and feeling strong.

Welcome, sir. Glad to have you.

This is good. Continue this. Use the technique section as needed. Getting eyes on the squat/press early is particularly helpful.

Good stuff!

Welcome to the community, follow the app read the books, do the best you can and you’ll be good to go. It’s all about consistency and nutrition. Give yourself once a week for pizza and whiskey. The results are worth it

I unfortunately had to take a week off since my last post, but I am back it again. I took off a small amount of weight and started LP again. I've gained 8lbs so far and I can tell my body fat percentage is lower.

Today's workout:
    3x5 Squat @ 145
    3x5 Press @ 80
    1x5 Deadlift @ 265

Last bench was 3x5 @ 115

Squat and deadlift still feel really smooth and I'll continue adding 10lbs/workout. In contrast, both presses are very challenging at this point. I failed the last rep of my presses today, but I plan on adding 2lbs next time and making sure I get enough rest in-between sets. I am using wrist wraps for everything I can as I've struggled with tendinitis in the past, and I just added straps for the deadlift.
    Last edited by Cabinet133; 11-10-2022 at 11:44 AM.

Good shit man!

Your presses almost certainly have a technique issue. You should take a video of each and put them in the technique forum. Check the sticky for each lift first and make sure you take the video correctly so they can be properly critiqued.

Have you tried the hook grip for the deadlift yet?

Thanks! I will definitely be taking advantage of the technique forums. I did look into the hook grip but found it pretty uncomfortable.
    Last edited by Cabinet133; 11-10-2022 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Changing a word

It is terrible lol. I don't think it's for sets of five. As long as your able to pull all your warmups with double overhand/hook grip then the straps shouldn't slow you down.

Keep it up!

What’s terrible, hook grip or my press? Haha. Do you mean that most people don’t use hook grip for sets of five? Yesterdays warmups for deadlift were:
    1x5 @ 135
    1x2 @ 185
    1x1 @ 225

All with double-overhand.
    Last edited by Cabinet133; 11-11-2022 at 09:11 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    The hook grip is what's terrible, not the press.

I think most people avoid using the hook grip for sets of five. Sounds like you've got the right idea with the warmups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast