starting strength gym

Thread: Female Mom 45 yo

Default Female Mom 45 yo

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just wanted to start this not only to share my journey; but, for support.
    I am a mom of 3 teens
    As I start my barbell prescription I am:
    45 years old
    5’ 5” height
    147 lbs
    My history was a big runner as a kid and very athletic. I have suffered 2 injuries. A replaced ACL on right knee in my 20s and a microdisectomy of S1/L5 in my early 40s from lifting something heavy and bulging a disc in my mid 30s.
    I am currently pretty active. Love golf in summer and platform tennis in winter. Still love just about every sport. I just can’t seem to keep my body heathy enough to do it all.
    I am changing my strategy for my future and beginning this much needed prescription.
    I am determined to do this program and will do everything to keep excellent form and follow the rules!

2 Training Day
    Squats 55
    Press 55
    Deadlift 65

I am on 2nd time training and had to stop mid workout for squats to put on knee brace of left knee. I believe I am irritating my IT band. I put on knee braces and moved on to bench and deadlifts. I was able to finish.

After this workout, I also did some leg lifts and bridges to help with the IT band. On my days off I will follow some core strengthening exercises to help with my core to support my back.

I will ice and rest and recover both my knees and go after my next training in 48 hours.

Welcome!
    It's always a pleasure to see a Mom lifter!

I'll give you some tips based on my little knowledge, hopefully it's helpful:

You might wanna check your form on the squat, maybe you're pushing your knees out too much or something's wrong with the stance.
    A knee brace is useful when your patella moves around and you have force imbalances on your knee, from what I understand.
    Also, squatting, pressing and deadlifting will give you all the "core" training and strength you need.
    Ice is for inflammation of a specific area and should not be used for anything else, especially right after you train. You want the blood to flow as much as possible to ensure recovery.
    Make sure you have a belt and put it on tight.
    Most of these aches will likely go away on their own as you keep training and getting stronger.
    Do the program as written, don't get creative.
    If you are still playing sports, you might wanna decrease the playing or stop it completely, just for a little bit, and focus only on your strength, to avoid stressing yourself too much and wasting a bunch of time having to recover afterwards.

Darn athletes can't sit down for a second!
    I wish you a good training journey!

Welcome! I was a big runner in my youth as well, and now love doing this program. Read the book, follow the book, and if at all possible find a SS coach within a couple hours drive and make the trip to help get your form dialed in, it is completely worth it

For core work I would suggest warmups and doing the cues for the squat and the deadlift found in starting strength.

I'd invest in microplates, I'd suggest get a set of eight 0.5 lb. plates. Most women have to microload the bench and overhead press nearly immediately, while due to your injuries I would suggest micro loading (going up 2-3 lb) the squat after the second week. For the deadlift you can go up normally while stage two would be rotating in lat pulldown (you'd be going up 5 lb every other workout). Remember it's better to make show continual progress than to make short term rapid gains then get stuck and have to figure out how to get unstuck.

If your working out in a commercial gym I'd suggest figuring out which barbell you used. Sometimes gyms will have different brands that are up to three lb. off. The give away is the very ends of the bar.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.