starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: In search of the mythical power gut

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Referring to the power guts: My son used to show me his six-pack until one day I said "Big deal. I have an entire case." Or did I just think that????
    Hahaha yep! I forget which one it was, but in one of the World's Strongest Man competitions, the announcers (it may have been Kaz?) went on a tangent about Big Z's "power keg" belly and how it was the source of all his power. Priceless.

Training 11/24/22
    SS NLP week 9 day 1

Quick session today before entering feast mode.

Squats 230x5x3

Press 95x5x3

Power cleans 65x3x5
    Same as last time, just doing the full practice progression from the book. These were done as full reps from the floor, but done VERY slowly.
    Last edited by Casey Trop; 11-27-2022 at 03:54 PM.

Training 11/26/22
    SS NLP week 9 day 2

Holy bejeezus I feel like crap from all the food over the past couple days. My body's not used to all the processed garbage food. Very stiff and lethargic today, surprised I got through the full workout.

I'm going to start implementing the light squat day at 80% in the middle of the week since I've had to reset the squat once already. Plus I've just been feeling beat down by the squats and I feel like it's time.

Light squats 185x5x3
    11/26/22 squat light day 185x5 rear view - YouTube
    11/26/22 squat light day 185x5 front view - YouTube
    I really tried to focus on leaning over more on these. They were hit or miss...some of them really felt "right" and some just felt like a mess lol. I posted a form check video for my squats in the technique forum. Here's the link for anyone interested: Newbie squat form check after 10% reset

Bench press 157.5x5x3
    11/26/22 bench 157.5x5 - YouTube
    First time using 2.5 lb jumps for these. Definitely feels appropriate.

Deadlifts 300x5
    11/26/22 deadlifts 300x5 - YouTube
    My supinated arm continues to drift forward slightly, causing the bar to leave my legs on the way up.

Training 11/28/22
    SS NLP week 9 day 3

Body's feeling much better today after going back to my normal foods for the past couple days. Amazing how much of an impact food quality can have on me.

Squats 235x5x3
    11/28/22 squats 235x5 rear view - YouTube
    11/28/22 squats 235x5 front view - YouTube
    Felt MUCH better with these today than earlier in the week when I did 230. A couple changes in technique/things I focused on:
    -When starting the descent, unlocking the hips and knees TOGETHER. I noticed in past videos I was pushing my hips back first and trying to lean waaaay over, and I think it was shifting the weight forward of midfoot.
    -FEELING the weight throughout the ENTIRE foot. I noticed today during my warmups that I felt the weight more over my toes and made a conscious effort to shift back and try to feel it equally distributed through my whole foot.
    -Driving through the hips on the ascent, but not changing the back angle until higher up towards the top. I think I did a much better job today of keeping my hips from shooting up before my chest. Still not perfect, though.

Press 97.5x5x3
    11/28/22 press 97.5x5 - YouTube
    These are still feeling solid. Not easy but not grinders. I just realized after watching myself today that my form needs some work...my knees are buckling when I drive up, and I don't think was leaning back with my torso enough.

Power clean 75x3x5
    11/28/22 power clean practice 75x3 - YouTube
    Still doing these SLOWLY, as directed by the book. Also started using a hook grip today. Felt fine. I think I'm still arm-pulling slightly, so that's going to be my focus as I move forward.

On an unrelated note, we put up Christmas lights this weekend Really stepped our game up from last year...instead of just roof lights, we put net lights over some bushes in the front and wrapped a tree with lights as well. It's my favorite time of the year, even though it sure doesn't feel like it down here in Florida

Training 12/1/22
    SS NLP week 10 day 1

Squats 240x5x3
    12/1/22 squats 240x5 rear view - YouTube
    12/1/22 squats 240x5 front view - YouTube
    This was the weight I stalled at and reset 10% from. Very happy I got them this time. Didn't feel quite as solid as my last squat workout...for some reason, I just felt off today. The front view was my last set and it was freakin tough. My knees caved in really badly on that last rep.

Bench press 160x5x3
    12/1/22 bench 160x5 - YouTube
    Couple grinders in here, but felt solid overall.

Deadlifts 305x5
    12/1/22 deadlifts 305x5 - YouTube
    Bar really drifted away from me on the 3rd or 4th rep. Otherwise felt good!

Considering upping my calories from 4500 to 4800 or 5000. I was 174.2 this morning. Haven't weighed myself since Thanksgiving since I knew it would be skewed from the bloat, but it should be back to normal by now. I was expecting at least 176/177 by now. My goal for November was 175. I'll give it a few more days and reassess.

Training 12/3/22
    SS NLP week 10 day 2

Light squats (80%) 190x5x3
    12/3/22 squats 190x5 front view - YouTube
    12/3/22 squats 190x5 rear view - YouTube
    Did these beltless just to change it up a bit. Still working through some form issues.

Press 100x5x3
    12/3/22 press 100x5 - YouTube
    These were really tough today. I'm still trying to get the "bounce" correct. I know my knees are unlocking a bit and I'm getting stuck with the bar out in front of its vertical path.

Power cleans 85x3x5
    12/3/22 power clean practice 85x3 - YouTube
    Still done slowly from the floor. Arm pull was creeping in to some of these, so I may stay at this weight and try to nail down form.

After many years of lifting heavy stuff with the supinated arm I still sometimes drift. The only antidote is full concentration to pull the bar against one's legs. It usually works.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    After many years of lifting heavy stuff with the supinated arm I still sometimes drift. The only antidote is full concentration to pull the bar against one's legs. It usually works.
    I *really* focused on it today and think I did a much better job. Probably just something I'll have to constantly remind myself of!

Training 12/5/22
    SS NLP week 10 day 3

Squats 245x5x3
    12/5/22 squats 245x5 front view - YouTube
    12/5/22 squats 245x5 rear view - YouTube
    In my squat form check thread, Rip pointed out that my knees were actually going *outside* of my toes/feet, so today I tried to not push them out so hard. Instead they were caving IN pretty badly on a few of these lol. Need to find the happy medium.

Also felt like I was slightly off-balance for some of these as well. Need to really focus on keeping the weight centered over midfoot and spread through the whole foot.

BUT I'm very happy that I was able to make 240 and 245. I think the 10% reset from 240 and introducing the light squat day has really helped. I've felt much less beat down going into my squats the past few workouts.

Bench press 162.5x5x3
    12/5/22 bench 162.5x5 - YouTube
    Moved my grip *slightly* narrower, about a thumb length from the smooth center. I've had shoulder injuries in the past and this width feels much more comfortable and stable for me compared a wider grip.

Deadlift 310x5
    12/5/22 deadlift 310x5 - YouTube
    These were *very* hard. As usual with squats and deadlifts, surprised I was able to finish the set based on the difficulty of the first rep haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Trop View Post
    I *really* focused on it today and think I did a much better job. Probably just something I'll have to constantly remind myself of!
    Just think of tight armpits. The way to get tight armpits is a solid tightening of the lats, which is part of setting your back. It's easy to drift from that as the pulls get heavy and as the set progresses, but tight armpits will keep you focused on that.

ETA: an article on just that, The Lats In The Deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Trop View Post
    Deadlift 310x5
    12/5/22 deadlift 310x5 - YouTube
    These were *very* hard. As usual with squats and deadlifts, surprised I was able to finish the set based on the difficulty of the first rep haha.
    The first rep is a lie.

The universal truth.
    Last edited by Bill Anders; 12-05-2022 at 04:04 PM. Reason: eta

starting strength coach development program
    It does seem to be the case. The first lift is the hardest.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast