starting strength gym

Thread: Modifying NLP due to fibula stress fracture

Default Modifying NLP due to fibula stress fracture

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I got a nasty pain in the outer part of my shin exactly on the spot where I had fractured my fibula many years ago. I started noticing this pain when coming back up on heavy squats, but I kept pushing through till my new PR at 295lbs. Yesterday, however, the pain kept getting worse with every rep even with 245lbs, so I did my presses and called it a day.

Based on information on the Internet, it feels similar to a fibula stress fracture. I’ve scheduled an appointment to see the doctor because I want to get back to my training as soon as possible (and finally got my 315lb squat goal). However, in the meantime, I need to modify my training to allow my shin to heal. So far, I’m thinking of ditching squats, deadlifts, and cleans for a couple of weeks and add back extensions and chin-ups on every workout.

What do you think? Any feedback is welcome.

BW: 198lbs
    BP: 185lbs
    SQ: 295lbs
    DL: 320lbs
    Press: 137.5lbs
    Clean: 145lbs

Hi Turbo, I would absolutely stop doing anything that is aggravating your shin until you have a better idea of what is going on. I completely understand the desire to not disrupt your training and progress. I had a medical issue last year that caused me to back off my training for a few months, but it all worked out. Sounds like you've developed a tentative plan of action, so go for it and get that shin healed!

Thanks, rkjohns1! The good news is that it’s not a stress fracture according to the X-ray; probably something tendon or muscle related.

I was recommended physiotherapy by my doctor. I’ll try and we’ll see how it goes.