starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My biggest fear? Dying skinny

Default My biggest fear? Dying skinny

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey everyone. Just beginning starting strength after a year on and off of doing mike Matthews BLS. 176 5’11. My maxes this year we’re 225 Bench, 315 squat, 315 deadlift, and 135 press. I do jiu jitsu 3x per week.
    I’m trying to get bigger and stronger and I hear that SS is the best way. I haven’t been as consistent as I would’ve liked the past 3 months and today reflects that.
    Bench 195 I missed the last rep of the third set of 5.
    Squat 240 3-5,
    Deadlift 275 1-5

I probably jumped back too quickly to repping 195 (it’s where I stopped during BLS ) so I’m open to suggestions on whether or not to go down in weight on that exercise.

Also, I know I need to eat so much more. Working on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachb View Post
    Hey everyone. Just beginning starting strength after a year on and off of doing mike Matthews BLS. 176 5’11. My maxes this year we’re 225 Bench, 315 squat, 315 deadlift, and 135 press. I do jiu jitsu 3x per week.
    I’m trying to get bigger and stronger and I hear that SS is the best way. I haven’t been as consistent as I would’ve liked the past 3 months and today reflects that.
    Bench 195 I missed the last rep of the third set of 5.
    Squat 240 3-5,
    Deadlift 275 1-5

I probably jumped back too quickly to repping 195 (it’s where I stopped during BLS ) so I’m open to suggestions on whether or not to go down in weight on that exercise.

Also, I know I need to eat so much more. Working on that.
    You are on the right tracks.
    Forget about your 1RMs, as you can see, you will overload the barbell. Follow the instructions on the book or whatever other SS source you can find. I particularly reccommend the Two Factor Model article and/or podcast episode since you practice a sport.
    Also, how old are you? (I don't know why everyone always forgets one of the three between age-height-bodyweight).

And yes, eat. A lot more. You need to gain 30lbs basically.
    Don't be afraid to ask for form checks in the Technique section or sending videos to the Strength Club youtube channel via the Starting Strength app or their email.

You will make mistakes and learn a lot
    Welcome!

I am 28 years old. I will check that out! For sure I’ll look into the app, thanks so much

Yesterdays workout 100 press, 245 squat, 285 deadlift. How quickly should I be gaining weight?

How quickly should I be gaining weight?
    Zach, read the section "Nutrition and Bodyweight" in Chapter 8, Programming in the Blue Book. It covers this pretty well.

Rip's Recovery And Growth article is pretty good, too.

Keep at it!

Hey thanks Bill that is what I needed. I’ll eat ridiculous amounts and track it.
    Since I’ve been training off and on for awhile I didn’t start with an empty bar, my squat feels right, my deadlift feels okay, as does my press.
    However my bench feels too heavy. How much should I cut it back ? I’ve cut it back before due to injuries in the past, but would like to finally rep 205. Very irritating.

Hey thanks Bill that is what I needed. I’ll eat ridiculous amounts and track it.
    Since I’ve been training off and on for awhile I didn’t start with an empty bar, my squat feels right, my deadlift feels okay, as does my press.
    However my bench feels too heavy. How much should I cut it back ? I’ve cut it back before due to injuries in the past, but would like to finally rep 205. Very irritating.
    Try not to obsess over numbers but focus on performance. Record all your worksets to gather as much data as possible. What you feel is often irrelevant to your ability to perform the lift, just make sure to lift with the proper safety measures so you can face whatever fear you have.
    As for your bodyweight, try to gain as fast as possible since your loads are already at a good point compared to a rank novice.

So you failed on the very last rep of your three sets and you're looking to reset? Don't. Assuming your recovery factors (eat/sleep/rest) are good, add weight and continue. Also, follow the advice that Dr Alter gives in her article The Reset. If your recover factors aren't good, fix those.

What's the fixation with 205? You'll get there when you get there. And soon after that, it will be just a warmup weight.

Weird I thought I replied to this yesterday? Guess it didn’t save! I did wind up getting 195 for 3!
    I fixated on 205 because I haven’t ever gotten that for reps. I’m sure I’ll get it eventually!
    Thanks man!

starting strength coach development program
    255 squat, 300 deadlift. Very weird popping in my elbows on overhead press. Irritation also. Didn’t do overhead press for that reason today.
    This has only happened once before on a day I did OHP and incline bench. I’m sure it’s form related, but I don’t know how to fix that nor what I’m doing wrong.
    I’m assuming I’m jackin up my form because 110 would’ve been the heaviest I’ve ever repped on OHP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast