starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting in Austin

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey ATX - it’s been fun reading your log this morning. We started at similar points in body and bar weight, with you about 2 weeks ahead of me in programming.

I, too, am finding the press most difficult and actually tweaked my back on Monday trying to force up the fifth rep. Looks like I can learn from you stopping as needed to avoid injury and keep progress going. Thanks for sharing.

Keep at it! Your progress from day 1 looks great, and no doubt you’ll get through the hurdles from the 13th. 1 day at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by RamblinWreck View Post
    Hey ATX - it’s been fun reading your log this morning. We started at similar points in body and bar weight, with you about 2 weeks ahead of me in programming.

I, too, am finding the press most difficult and actually tweaked my back on Monday trying to force up the fifth rep. Looks like I can learn from you stopping as needed to avoid injury and keep progress going. Thanks for sharing.

Keep at it! Your progress from day 1 looks great, and no doubt you’ll get through the hurdles from the 13th. 1 day at a time.
    Thanks! I think what I learned is that 1 day between sessions is no good, at least right now. Last week I did all my BJJ sessions but I could feel my muscles were extremely fatigued so I skipped my thursday lifting session. I lifted when I was much younger but never felt this kind of fatigue. BJJ also hasnt really made me this tired either. It is pretty awesome.

I lifted today and it was amazing. I also hit 172 pounds so Im definitely eating enough. Ive got a belly now which I dont love. My plan is to stop at about 178 so I can cut back down to the 170 pound bracket.

2/20/23 great session

squat 175, hard but doable. Messed up the weights and did 2 full sets of 150 before I realized the error, and then did 3x5 at 175. There is a lot of trust required to bend over so much for the squat. But when I do it is worth it as coming back up with my hips is so much easier. I got a slight strain in a muscle between my left hamstring and groin. While it is a strain, it is closer to just being sore and still feels good. My right bicep also cramped, the price of getting old I guess.

overhead press 95, hard. Got stuck on the 4th rep of the 3rd set. Rested for 30 seconds and then finished the last 2. Did an extra rep because I was mad.

deadlift 235 - felt easy, considering last time I felt like I couldnt budge it. Also trusted my form to not hurt my back, didnt feel anything that might indicate back risk.

pull ups 3x10

the weights are getting a little close to being able to hurt me so Im planning to sign up for a month at starting strength austin. I cant afford to strain a back muscle or something.
    Last edited by atx_bjj; 02-21-2023 at 08:49 AM.

2/24/23

Hyperextended my elbow in BJJ on tuesday so skipped thursday. Still not feeling great, but tried to lift anway.

squat 180
    bench 160 - couldnt extend all the way, but did bench, realized safeties were too high and bar couldnt touch my chest. Lowered them so weight stagnated.
    deadlift 205 - elbow hurt too much to do 245, but did 1x5 of 205.

2/28/23
    squat 185 - wore belt today, helped a lot, could really feel when core was tight.
    overhead press 90 - could not lift 95
    deadlift -245 - hard but doable.

elbow still bothered me a bit, but didnt seem to impact lifts.

Also I hit 174lbs today. Since it is so easy to gain weight Im just going to go for about 190 and then cut 5 pounds for the 185.
    Last edited by atx_bjj; 02-28-2023 at 09:47 AM.

3/2/23
    squat 190, hard but doable. The belt is helping a lot
    bench press 165 - extremely hard, arms were shaking. A little twinge from the elbow.
    deadlift -245 - hard but doable. I first tried 255 and couldnt do it. I should have tried 250 instead of repeating 245

Overall Im still feeling tired from the lifting. BJJ alone doesnt really have me this tired.

3/11/23

Weights were getting heavy and I felt like my form probably wasnt good. Didnt want to hurt myself so I started at starting strength austin. Took a week off to rest.

I did my intro class today and they started by working to get my form right. At the moment all my lifts are lower and will work back up. Loved it as I could definitely feel the difference in what I had been doing and the right form.

squat 155
    press 75
    deadlift - 175

3/14/23

squat 155
    press 70
    deadlift - 185

3/16/23

squat 160
    bench 135
    deadlift 195

3/21/23
    squat 165
    press 75
    deadlift 205

Keep going. I just finished my 3rd workout and your progress and observations were encouraging

Quote Originally Posted by RichK View Post
    Keep going. I just finished my 3rd workout and your progress and observations were encouraging
    Just a quick update, Im still around, I tore my MCL in judo so am out for about 2 months. Im at least able to walk pretty around comfortably now but am wearing a hinge brace.

Quote Originally Posted by atx_bjj View Post
    Just a quick update, Im still around, I tore my MCL in judo so am out for about 2 months. Im at least able to walk pretty around comfortably now but am wearing a hinge brace.

MCL is mostly healed so Im back to lifting. The trainer kept me at light weights with only one set. But I did a lot of warmup reps. Squatting really helped to improve my mobility. During lifting when things were warmed up I was able to touch the heel of my injured leg to my butt which I hadnt been able to do yet. A few hours later it is stiff again, but lifting feels like it will help to get my mobility back too.

Squat - 135x5x1
    bench 125x5x1
    Press 75x5x1
    deadlift 185x5x1

also I guess I never posted my last numbers:

3/23/23
    squat 170x5x3
    bench 145x5x3
    dead 215x5x1

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by atx_bjj View Post
    MCL is mostly healed so Im back to lifting. The trainer kept me at light weights with only one set. But I did a lot of warmup reps. Squatting really helped to improve my mobility. During lifting when things were warmed up I was able to touch the heel of my injured leg to my butt which I hadnt been able to do yet. A few hours later it is stiff again, but lifting feels like it will help to get my mobility back too.

Squat - 135x5x1
    bench 125x5x1
    Press 75x5x1
    deadlift 185x5x1

also I guess I never posted my last numbers:

3/23/23
    squat 170x5x3
    bench 145x5x3
    dead 215x5x1
    So I lifted for about a month after my MCL healed and then had a stroke june 3rd during BJJ class. I was lucky it all healed ok but wasnt allowed to lift for most of june.

I started lifting again the last week in june while I was on vacation and then on the cruise ship (they had a squat rack).

My current numbers
    weight 180 (up about 20 pounds - the cruise helped I think)

squat 190x5x3
    press 90x5x3 (stuck)
    bench 160x5x3
    deadlift 240x5x3

On the plus side Im not allowed to do BJJ until Im off blood thinners so am able to lift 3 days a week instead of the 2 when Im training BJJ.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast