starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building for the future

Default Building for the future

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have very limited experience with barbell training, and nothing in the way of training about the right way to do the exercises. After searching for a way to get stronger I ran across Rip’s work and, after having gone through Dave Ramsey’s financial plan, I guess the combination of southern draw and simplicity and wisdom of the advice had me hooked. It felt familiar and got me motivated to get up and do something about it.

Looking to start a lifetime of strength (motivation below). Built a home gym and have been reading the blue book and worked on getting my caloric intake up from 2,000 per day to 3,200 per day (with at least 1g of protein per lb) while waiting for things to arrive. I know I’ll need to get the calories higher so hoping the training will help fuel the hunger. The caloric needs are going to be the toughest part for me, so any advice on that front is greatly appreciated.

Stats
    Sex: Male
    Height: 6’

Motivation
    - Age well enough that I can pick up my great grandchildren when they run up to me (have been listening to a lot of Dr. Peter Attia, which made me realize the importance of strength for longevity)
    - Be a man my son (nearly 1) and daughters (4 yr old twins) can look up to in every aspect of life
    - And frankly, I’m just sick and tired of being sick, tired, and weak. Tired of hearing “you’re in great shape” and knowing I’m not.

Starting weights - Wed 1Feb23
    Was completely embarrassed by this yesterday. Fortunately it was in a home gym before the wife got up to see this pathetic display.
    Weight: 149.8 lbs
    Squat: 3x5 @ 115 lbs
    Press: 3x5 @ 65 lbs
    Bench Press: 3x5 @ 85 lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 135 lbs

Current weights - Wed 1Mar23
    Weight: 155.2 lbs (+5.4)
    Squat: 3x5 @ 165 lbs (+50)
    Press: 3x5 @ 75 lbs (+10)
    Bench Press: 3x5 @ 100 lbs (+15)
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 205 lbs (+70)
    Last edited by RamblinWreck; 03-01-2023 at 07:00 AM.

Everyone starts where they start. Now, keep it up. If you live within 200 miles of an SS coach have at least a few sessions with him/her. The book is great but without a coach to help you at least from time to time you may well get injured and discouraged. If you live closer than 200 go have regular sessions with a SS coach.

If neither of those options is available try online coaching. Several coaches offer it.

Go get 'em!

Do not be embarrassed by your numbers or your experience level. Everybody starts somewhere. Regarding experience, plenty of people who train in strength have squandered years of their paycheck on bullshit weight training models with frustrating sub par results. How close are you to a SS gym? I ask because I too was in a similar situation as you are. Reading the books and watching the various SS videos are highly beneficial and important, however, there are techniques and cues that get overlooked during the process of training on your own. If you can, get some in person from a SSC. If not, due to distance, get involved with online training. Grit and determination will never fail you in strength training.

Honestly, those are fantastic starting numbers. They mean that you read the book, unlike many of us who didn't when we started, for whatever reason, and started with empty bars.

It looks like you have the right motivation, especially for those of us grandparents who do the work for similar reasons. Just remember that motivation when you get to those frustrating sticking points several months down the road. Like carson and david said, get a coach to look at your sooner rather than later. Your future self will thank you.

Keep at it!

Appreciate all the replies and encouragement. Unfortunately I don’t live within a few hundred miles of a SS gym, though on their map it does show one opening in my area sometime this year. In the meantime, I’m taking my time to set up and complete my reps to really focus on corrections from videos I’m taking of myself to monitor. Not as good as a coach, but felt like a better start than nothing.

Fri 3Feb23
    After my second set of squats today I had some real concerns about my ability to get rep #5 on the 3rd set. Felt GREAT to complete that set and see the 10 lb improvement over 2 days ago. Wondering how may more workouts I should target +10 vs. going to the standard +5.

Weight: 150.4 lbs
    Avg daily protein/calories since last session: 193g / 3,312 calories
    Squat: 3x5 @ 125 lbs
    Bench Press: 3x5 @ 85 lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 145 lbs
    Last edited by RamblinWreck; 02-06-2023 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RamblinWreck View Post
    Appreciate all the replies and encouragement. Unfortunately I don’t live within a few hundred miles of a SS gym, though on their map it does show one opening in my area sometime this year. In the meantime, I’m taking my time to set up and complete my reps to really focus on corrections from videos I’m taking of myself to monitor. Not as good as a coach, but felt like a better start than nothing.
    In that case, post videos to the Technique forum. Perhaps most important, do unlike everyone else and read the guidelines for videos before you post. It will help everyone, including you, immensely.

Keep at it!

Mon 6Feb23
    Feel like smaller plates will be needed soon for the press. Adding 5 lbs was a struggle. Any recommendations for micro plates, or should I complete my Strength Co set with some 1.25 lb plates?

Weight: 153.8 lbs
    Avg daily protein/calories since last session: 175g / 3,442 calories
    Squat: 3x5 @ 135 lbs
    Press: 3x5 @ 70 lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 155 lbs
    Last edited by RamblinWreck; 02-08-2023 at 07:20 AM.

Fri 3Feb22
    Feel like smaller plates will be needed soon for the press. Adding 5 lbs was a struggle. Any recommendations for micro plates, or should I complete my Strength Co set with some 1.25 lb plates?

Micro Gainz fractional weight plates are great!

Fri 3Feb22

I always recommend Dan Miller's microplates. He advertises them in the equipment forum here. You might want to email him first, but it seems like he gets back to folks that way pretty quick. He just doesn't log into the forums that often. The microplates are spot on their weight, with a range of weights that would serve any need, whether yours or someone else using your equipment. I've had them for a few years now and can't recommend them enough.

Having said that, I almost bought the StrengthCo 1.25's on top of my recent order for extra J-hooks. It slipped my mind until after I hit "order". But they will be mine to round out the set.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the microplate suggestions. Just emailed Dan Miller and will plan to buy some from him if still in business. If not, I’ll pick of a set of Micro Gainz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast