6’ 1” / 214lbs. / 28% BMI
    Training at Home
    Have to do Seated OHP
    Starting Working Set Weights:
    Squat - 135lbs
    Deadlift - 135lbs
    Bench - 140lbs
    OHP - 105lbs

I’m coming up on my 4th workout and I’m loving this so far. There is so much to learn. I was much less than perfect my first two sessions on the squat (not deep enough) and the deadlift (not setting the back properly). My third session I had much better form in both, although I’m still not getting my back angle horizontal enough in my squat. I was able to increase the weight by the prescribed amount however, so last workout was 155lbs on both.

After the first two sessions I was hardly sore at all but after the third, my hamstrings are ridiculously sore and I’m assuming that’s because my form was better and therefore I worked the muscles in a way they hadn’t grown accustomed to from the previous workouts. So my question is should I drop the weight down, keep it the same, or continue to raise it now that my form is better?

I hope that makes sense.

Just keep going, Rich. And get in the habit of not letting "drop the weight down" enter your thoughts, unless it's an injury or prolonged absence.

A few thoughts -

- You're already stronger than you think, especially with the seated 105lb OHP. Based on both of your presses, you started your squat and deadlift too low.
    - You can take a bigger jump on the deadlift vs the squat for several sessions. By the time you end your NLP, you should see a 50-80lb difference between your deadlift and squat.
    - re: back angle on the squat - there are multiple cues that can help you get more horizontal - "shove your gut between your thighs," "nipples to the floor," and the most crude one "point your asshole to the wall." All are quite effective at the appropriate time and all require that you are shoving your knees outward (not forward) as you descend. All of that will help add to that exquisite hamstring soreness for a few sessions.
    - Get some videos posted over in the Technique forum soon (one lift per post, and make sure you read and adhere to the Required Reading post first). The sooner you get eyes on your form, the easier it is to fix any issues before they become a problem. Better yet, if you can manage it, hire an online coach or see one in person.

I started this journey several years ago, just a couple of years older than you are now. I came from an endurance background, rarely spending any time lifting a weight. I thought I was strong. Now I know that I wasn't. Weights that I thought when I started would be lifetime goals are now warmup weights, even as I am inconsistent (by choice) with my training year-round. So the key for you to stay consistent and get your form checked by other eyes.

Welcome! And Keep At It!

Thanks Bill! I have the starting strength app and it has all of the videos on form. I’ve watched over and over again. I’ve also read the book and go back to it often. I video myself during the workout so I can go back and see where I can improve. The app also has a form check feature for a little extra cash - I sent in my squat and deadlift yesterday, waiting for reply. I’ll repost with the reply I get from that but I believe I already know where the fault was in my squat - my chest is too far out, nips are more towards the wall than the floor and that’s because when I lock in the bar I’m over inflating my chest, keeping me more upright than I should be. I find watching the videos and reading really help dial in. And like you said, getting technique correct early on is key. Thanks for sharing your background/progress too, love hearing that sorta thing. I’m supposed to lift today (1day rest) but I’m going to wait until tomorrow for this soreness to subside more. And I’ll up the weight as scheduled. LFG!

Welcome. I'm a little older than you are, 76, but I have a question that may be answered with a video. What do you mean by "horizontal" when applied to the squat?

Quote Originally Posted by RichK View Post
    I’m supposed to lift today (1day rest) but I’m going to wait until tomorrow for this soreness to subside more. And I’ll up the weight as scheduled. LFG!
    Lift today, increasing the weights as scheduled. The soreness is a small bump in your progress and will dissipate quickly (likely even improving with today's session).

The reason I say that is that it's easy to start finding excuses to "do it tomorrow." Showing up, especially when you don't feel it (there will be many of those days), is the most important part of progress.

Yeah no, I hear what ur saying. Too late though, I’ve already rearranged things. I really will do it tomorrow though. I’ll post again afterwards with an update.

I’m talking about the angle of the back. Mine has been set more vertical than it should be and as I understand it, that’s taking power away from my hip drive. Google “starting strength the squat” and a video with Rippetoe should come up, multiple really (watch em all), where he goes over with multiple people correct form while squatting.

Solid session tonight. I’m new to this (only 4 sessions in) but kinda still amazed how the weight keeps going up and I keep completing the sets. I like never want it to end lol.

Anyway, I think my form was better on the squat this time around, really focused on my hips and nips. Videoed it, slightly hard to tell my back angle due to the safety bar in the way at the bottom of the squat this time but could see depth was good, nice and tight all the way through. Narrowed my stance just a hair too. Looking forward to next session.

Squat- 165
    Bench - 145
    Deadlift - 165

Thinking about doing a 20lb jump on the deadlift next time.

Turns out I should’ve widened my stance and the bar was possibly too high as per a form check done by Alex Kosarie, certified SSC. He gave me great instructions concerning both my squat and deadlift after sending in form checks via the SS app. I got em the day after my last workout (yesterday) so I’ll be taking his advice today in just a little bit. I can’t emphasize enough how impressed I am by the amount of coaching I received, like I’m talking a detailed email with illustrations and video links. Top notch community here. Plus, I got some Romaleos 4 and I’m excited to see how that affects my mechanics. Will update afterwards.

starting strength coach development program
    Good to hear, Rich. That's the next best thing to getting an in-person form check by an SSC.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast