starting strength gym
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: First Timer at 46 / Never Been “Strong”

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ok ok ok. Let’s go!

Squats. I had to concentrate like hell to get the proper form. Without a doubt I improved compared to last time. Dropping the weight was the right decision 100%. Made a mistake and loaded 120 instead of 125 but that’s not that big of a deal.

Looking at the video replay, I definitely get below parallel in all the squats and I’d say 95% of the time I started the descent with my hips out and chest down.

On the ascent, I’d say 50% of the time I’d drive the hips up BUT I’d also lift my chest at the same time. On those lifts, I can see how lifting the chest “rolls” my knees forward, it almost looks like a subtle rocking motion - obviously not correct, but I can literally see the cause & effect now and that is immediately helping me visualize why and how keeping the chest down is so important (besides losing power out of the bottom).

The other 50% of the time I was able to more or less start the descent with the hips out and chest down and then come up with the hips leading the way while my back stayed at the same angle without raising my chest until the last moment possible. Some reps were better than others in this regard but the difference compared to before is like night and day. I’m stoked! Annnnd, on top of that, I experienced that bounce at the bottom!

This was a huge confidence booster for me to actually be able to execute, at least some of the time, the things I’ve been learning. I’ll only get better the more I do it now that the visualization is becoming clearer and clearer. Did I say I’m stoked already? Lol

One question or idea I had afterwards was to only increase the weight by 5 lbs for the next squat on Saturday. My thinking is it’s still progressing higher but while I’m learning how to master this movement, it may be easier and safer to drill it in while making smaller jumps. What do you guys think?

Btw, crushed the OHP at 120. First rep of working set my elbows flared out and in my head I was like “wth is that bs right there, get back in line fellas”. Concentration must be maintained all the time. I kinda love it.

Oh, and the deadlift at 185 that I failed the last time cause I was tired and frustrated and rushing? Crushed that as well. Form was solid all the way through. There was one instance during a warmup set where I exhaled at the top and again (this time I said it out loud after the rep) “nope, don’t wanna do that, keep the air in till you get back to the bottom.” At the bottom, after the first two reps of my work set , I did have to take a little longer to feel like I was properly ventilated? Don’t know if that’s the right word; I had to take a little longer to catch my breath is what I mean. I’m assuming I’ll get better at that as I continue to progress.

Anyway, this was a long post but I’m just so damn happy with myself I wanted to share the details with y’all. Thanks again for all the help!!!

Good deal, Rich! You'll get it.

Quote Originally Posted by RichK View Post
    One question or idea I had afterwards was to only increase the weight by 5 lbs for the next squat on Saturday. My thinking is it’s still progressing higher but while I’m learning how to master this movement, it may be easier and safer to drill it in while making smaller jumps. What do you guys think?
    Stick to 5lb jumps. You're still nailing down the technique, which takes work in and of itself. If you were to jump 10-20lbs because you can (well, you can), you'll get yourself into survival mode and your form will go to shit. Stronger? Sure. Setting yourself up for failure further down the road? Likely.

Those weights aren't going anywhere. You'll get to them soon enough, with better form.

Quote Originally Posted by RichK View Post
    Oh, and the deadlift at 185 that I failed the last time cause I was tired and frustrated and rushing? Crushed that as well. Form was solid all the way through. There was one instance during a warmup set where I exhaled at the top and again (this time I said it out loud after the rep) “nope, don’t wanna do that, keep the air in till you get back to the bottom.” At the bottom, after the first two reps of my work set , I did have to take a little longer to feel like I was properly ventilated? Don’t know if that’s the right word; I had to take a little longer to catch my breath is what I mean. I’m assuming I’ll get better at that as I continue to progress.
    Exhaling at the top? It happens, especially once it's truly a limit set. The key is to remember to get the breath back in, reset the vasalva to protect your back, and to set it back down with proper form. But don't make a habit of doing it during your warmups, as those will carry over to your work sets.

At the bottom between reps, take one big breath, lock that vasalva, and pull. The extra breaths are not going to give you anything; if anything, the extra breaths takes a rep away from you, as your brain starts to think about how heavy it is and the rest of your body is using energy needed to get that last rep off the floor and up to lockout. Easier said than done, but something to work on.

Keep at it!

I was thinking the same thing as far as the 5lb increments. The breaths at the bottom were mainly because I was kinda sorta seeing stars a little bit.

I hear ya on the stars. It happens. Then take another breath, but don't hang out "trying to get your breath back."

Yep totally understand

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    At the bottom between reps, take one big breath, lock that vasalva, and pull. The extra breaths are not going to give you anything; if anything, the extra breaths takes a rep away from you, as your brain starts to think about how heavy it is and the rest of your body is using energy needed to get that last rep off the floor and up to lockout. Easier said than done, but something to work on.

Keep at it!
    dingdingding we have a winner

don't let the brain think

Solid session today guys. Form is getting better each of the last two sessions of squats. I’m getting the depth, I’m getting the butt out, chest is down, I’m driving with the hips up. I still need to concentrate more on prolonging the hip drive before lifting my chest. But I will say this, I had quite a number of reps where watching in slow mo (that’s what I have to do to “see” it all, I’ll replay a bunch of times and look at different aspects - back, chest angle, hip drive and crease) I could see my back/chest angle stay the same from like the first 1/4 of the descent all the way back up to nearly the same spot on the ascent. Felt really proud of myself. Learning it fellas! Learning it!

Bench very happy to complete 155 for working sets. It has yet to amaze me how I can struggle on the last two of the last set during the prior session and then the next session I complete it with higher weight. Technique on bench feels good - shoulder blades pinched, grip supinated, eyes on the ceiling, forearms straight up at the bottom. Feels great!

Deadlift. I took y’alls advice and did one big inhale, set the back and vasala (not sure if I’m sayin it right), made the pull, returned to floor, big exhale and repeat. Felt great. Handled the 195 with confidence, not without effort, but still felt in control and strong. Bent my elbow midway up on 2nd rep, caught it, made a mental note “arms straight” and it didn’t happen again.

Thanks for all the help and feedback. Looking forward to Monday’s session.

As the weight on the deads increases you won't have to worry about straightening your arms, it will do it for you lol

good job

Makes sense

starting strength coach development program
    Great work, Rich!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast