starting strength gym
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: First Timer at 46 / Never Been “Strong”

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks!

Tomorrow could be a challenge. We’re redoing our entire basement - demolition tomorrow. Left my rack and weights down there, covered in plastic. Made it clear I gotta lift. So I’ll probably come home to find it impossible lol.

205 dead tomorrow. Big deal for me considering I never once deadlifted before beginning this. Also goin for 125 OHP. And let us not forget, the continuous quest for improved squat form - slow and steady with 130.

Good luck with ur lifts! Let’s go!

Yep, no lifting for hopefully just a couple of days for the demo to be completed in my basement. After that, I’ll be able to get back down there. Kinda pissed but also kinda sorta knew this would be a possibility. Good news is we’re doing it in stages and when it’s all done, I’m gonna have a sweet dedicated area.

Oofah. Rough night. First off, the renovation of my basement is seriously messing me up. So much crap everywhere, guys still working when I get home from work.

Saturday was my last workout. Way too long. I thought I really nailed the squat movement last time and I did, but I thought that’d carry over to tonight. Kept reviewing my video. Kept watching videos of correct form. All that. But nope, I went right back to the old incorrect way. I also bumped the weight from 125 to 135 when the plan was to just increase by 5lbs till I got the movement nailed down. Mistake number 1. Mistake number 2 - I was rushing and discombobulated - I had to rearrange everything around just to get to my weights, my shoes and bar and belt was upstairs - just literally everything out of sync and it showed in my form.

Struggled on OHP at 125 during the last set but completed it. Failed the deadlift at 205 on the 3rd rep.

I guess it was better than nothing but I need help on how to manage this while the construction is going on. Already I know I won’t get back down there until Sunday and it’s Easter and so that questionable in and of itself.

I don’t know what exactly to do. Part of me wants to say screw it, I’ll wait till the reno is over but another part of me says to just do what I can when I can. But the question is what do I do if there’s 3,4,5 day breaks in between sessions, the room is a wreck so I’m just completely not focused.

I need some guidance here.

And I feel it in my knees already. Wtf. I’m so pissed at myself for seemingly not just being able to get this right as well as not following what I’ve been told.

Life happens. Don't let it get you tied up in knots. Do what you can, when you can. 5x3's or x5's may not happen, but whatever. Just focus on form.

Once the reno is done and you can start back to regular programming, follow the guidance here in Scenario #1.

You’re right. It’s not the end of the world. I’m just pissed cause I was literally just getting started.

Basement done and I’m back. Today was my 5th session back in. Dropped squats way down to get the form right. Feels good but not particularly strong - did 155lbs today 3x5. Bench I feel strong - did 140lbs. today 3x5. And deadlift; now deadlifts I didn’t drop down as far as squats or bench for that matter. Did 215lbs x 5 today. That’s a PR. It was heavy but not impossible and I really had to think of my entire body lifting it as a singular unit. All in all good stuff!

Really glad to be back lifting again guys!

Excellent! Those life events happen, sometimes longer than we expect. They key is, if you can't maintain during the event, to get back on the wagon as soon as possible.

Squats - Not a bad idea to drop them down to regain the movement. This time you'll be able to take bigger jumps between sessions than you did before the break until you get back up to where you were before the basement remodel.
    Deadlifts - The beautiful thing about the heavy pull is that it tolerates a longer break than the other lifts, so a smaller reset was the right thing. Great to hear that you're visualizing it right; that will be the key when it gets brutal.

Keep at it!

Thanks Bill!

starting strength coach development program
    Oofah 225 DL tonight for 5. It felt 50lbs heavier than 215.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast